[comp.sys.apple] What's new with II?

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (03/30/89)

I recently recieved the following messages in response to my request for
people to strut their hacks.

>----------
>
> Date: Wed, 29 Mar 89 08:20 EST
> From: "Kevin O. Lepard (517) 629-5511 x6668" <SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET>
> Subject: Basic help, disk editor
>

> Why don't you post the two programs that you've written to Apple2-l?  I'm
> sure that there are a lot of people who'd like to see them besides me.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kevin Lepard
> Bitnet:  Sasquatch@albion.bitnet
>
>----------
>
> Date: Wed, 29 Mar 89 10:03:59 -0600
> From: Todd Richard Davis <trd10523@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>
> Subject: Your Hacks
>
> Keith-
> I read your note about where have all the hackers gone, and I feel you've
> brought up a good point.
> Anyway, my question is this: I am interested in your mem.-res. disk editor
> and your additions to BASIC.SYSTEM. Where can I get them? And, will they
> work on a //e or //c (I don't have a GS, but I do have a ][+,e,and c)?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know...
>
> Todd Davis
> Computer Engineering Student, U. of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign
> trd10523@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
>
>----------

For several reasons, I am reluctant to post to Apple2-l:

1) I don't have access to it. I read USENET and don't have direct access to
Apple2-l. I could post them to comp.sys.apple.binaries, and hope that some-
one cross-posts, but see below...

2) The BASIC.SYSTEM "Help" program was written under contract for someone who
was going to market it through some other company. He still has the rights to
it, and I don't.

3) The mem-res disk editor only worked under DOS 3.2 and 3.3. It doesn't work
under ProDOS. It's also been a long time since I've seen it, and I don't know
if I have the source or object code anymore (I wrote it in 1983).

4) While I certainly should act in accordance with my posting, my intent was
to have *OTHER* people describe what they are working on and share their ideas.
To this extent, I don't want to deprive people of the opportunity to explore
their Apple II and write these things themselves. I know that this sounds like
a harsh, cruel, and stuck-up stance, but I want to get people away from feeling
that someone else, especially Apple, should some up with solutions. The
following letter sort of exemplifies what I DON'T want to see (sorry to pick
on you Paul):

> From: nakada@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Paul Nakada)
> Subject: Re: What's up, II?
> Date: 29 Mar 89 16:59:17 GMT
>
> one package i'd like to see....
>
> I would love to see a library of routines... similar to the gs toolbox,
> but much smaller (a subset of the toolbox) that would allow manipulation
> of the apple 80 column screen (maye including videx videoterm colnes).
> I've seen shrinkit, proterm, blu, etc.. all use different, but similar
> windowing systems, but i would bet that the coding is totally
> different..  Wouldn't it be wonderful to have some sort of standard
> library?  This could even be distributed in binary form (not source)
> with a small text file of entry points...
>
> does anyone see any promise in this sort of thing?
> thanks for any feedback..
> -paul

Paul has the right idea (that there should be some standard text routines for
doing neat things like index cards and windows (and APDA even sold packages
like these, if they don't still)), but it would be heartening to see something
stating a) that he saw a need, b) that he was working on filling that need, and
c) what else would people like to see in such a package?

I think that we are off to a good start here. There's been a big rehash on
stuff that is pretty popular around here (Davex, ECP, all of Glen Bredon's
stuff, etc), but I've also seen a number of new products mentioned (John
Brooks' fast linker, Jason Blos...Blochooo..Blco...Blochowiak's (?) editor
& HyperHelp stuff). News of these previously unknown programs (to me, anyway)
is exciting, and I'd like to see more!

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions