[comp.sys.apple] Synetix 256K RAM card and Mountain Computer Clock card

daniel@vicorp.UUCP (Daniel Dee) (03/28/89)

Sorry for this reposting. I just notice that part of my article got
cut off. Anyway, here's what I wanted to say:

I have an old Synetix 256K RAM card, can anyone tell me if this will
be usable for AppleWorks?  I also have an old Mountain Computer
Clock card. Will ProDos be able to recognize this clock?  I have an
Apple ][+.  Any response will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Daniel
V.I. Corp., Amherst, MA 01002
ddee@vicorp.uu.net

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (03/30/89)

In article <2061@vicorp.UUCP>, daniel@vicorp.UUCP (Daniel Dee) writes:

> I have an old Synetix 256K RAM card, can anyone tell me if this will
> be usable for AppleWorks?  I also have an old Mountain Computer
> Clock card. Will ProDos be able to recognize this clock?  I have an
> Apple ][+.  Any response will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Daniel
> V.I. Corp., Amherst, MA 01002
> ddee@vicorp.uu.net

     I'm not to familiar with the Synetix 256K RAM card, but I'm assuming it is
alot like the Saturn 128K card. "Will it be usable for AppleWorks?", not without
patching AppleWorks.

     "I have an Apple ][+."  Is this the machine you will be running AppleWorks
on?,  If so you'll need to have Apple modified to run on it. The best product I've
scene to do this is Norwich Data Systems 'PlusWorks'. You may wish to contact them
to see if there product supports the Synetix 256K RAM card.  (If it currently
does not, if you have tech specs on the Synetix 256K RAM card, they may wish to
upgrade there product to support that card.)

     The old Mountain Computer Clock card is not ProDOS compatible. A device driver
could be written to allow ProDOS to use Mountain Computer Clock card.  I don't
know of one already written, nor do I own a Mountain Computer Clock card and have
the need to write one.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                         |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447 |        "Wisconsin   Escapee"

reeder@reed.UUCP (Doug Reeder) (03/30/89)

In article <2061@vicorp.UUCP> daniel@vicorp.UUCP (Daniel Dee) writes:
>I have an old Synetix 256K RAM card, can anyone tell me if this will
>be usable for AppleWorks?  I also have an old Mountain Computer
>Clock card. Will ProDos be able to recognize this clock?  I have an
>Apple ][+.  Any response will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
>Daniel
>V.I. Corp., Amherst, MA 01002
>ddee@vicorp.uu.net

ProDOS will not recognize a Mountain clock by itself.  You will need to
install a driver after the system boots.  An undocumented bug in proDOS
will cause RENAME to always give a syntax error when you use the Mountain
clock.

the above information is from "ProDOS inside and out" by Dennis Doms and-
Tom Weishaar, which also contains a Mountain Clock driver and driver installer
that works around the problem.

--
Doug Reeder                         USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!reeder
Box 971                             BITNET: reeder@reed.BITNET