[comp.sys.apple] GIF from II to Mac

CARPENTR@SERVAX.BITNET (RALPH=CARPENTER) (03/25/89)

 Brian Glaeske <NU133716@VM1.NODAK.EDU> asks:
>           How do I use GIF files that are packed in a format
>           that //'s can read on a MAC?

Brian,

Put the GIF file on a 3.5' ProDOS-formatted disk.
Boot the Apple File Exchange Utility (a standard piece of System
  software) on your Mac.
Insert the ProDOS disk into the Mac (do this AFTER AFE has started;
  otherwise the Mac will want to initialize it!)
Under the ProDOS to Macintosh menu, choose Binary transfer.
Select the file & tell AFE to copy it onto the Mac.
Quit AFE.

You now have a GIF file on the Mac.  Take a look at it with GIFFER or
other suitable software.

                                        Have fun!
 _______________________
/                       \_____________________________________________________
|  Ralph Carpenter                                                            \
|  Dept. of Psychology       InterNet: CarpentR%SerVax.Bitnet@MITvma.MIT.EDU  |
|  Florida Atlantic U.       Bitnet: CarpentR@SerVax  Compu$erve: 76067,1625  |
|  at Boca Raton             GEnie: Ralpho   MaBell: (407) 367-2616           |
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

CC : SMTP@INTERBIT

CARPENTR@SERVAX.BITNET (RALPH=CARPENTER) (03/31/89)

Brian Glaeske <ndsuvm1.bitnet!nu133716@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:
>  I want to transfer GIF format files from // to MAC.
>I don't have null modem cables or a 3.5 drive (I could borrow one).
>I want to transfer through an IBM mainframe (is this possible or should I
> use UNIX, since it would eliminate the hassle of Ebcidic and ASCII?) and
>down to a MAC.

Brian,

        We frequently use our mainframes (Vax 8800:VMS 5.0 & Sun:SunOS
v4-3.2-2) to exchange GIF files between a variety of micros (Apple II,
Mac, Ps2, Zenith). We use Kermit to effect the transfers (Kermit-65
3.85, MacKermit .94, Kermit-32 3.0.66, C-Kermit 4E(070), & ProComm).

        Since GIF files are binary, not text, you will have no "hassle
of Ebcdic & Ascii".  Just set the file-type on both the sending & the
receiving Kermits to BINARY, and fire away.

                                        Ralpho