[comp.sys.apple] kermit Q: ProTerm VS. UNIX

stern@walnut.cis.ohio-state.edu (jeffrey a stern) (03/29/89)

Does anyone else have this problem or knowledgeable enough about kermit to
help me out?

When kermitting between my Apple //e and the Sun UNIX system I belong to,
most capital Y's are deleted.  Small y's and big Y's following spaces seem
to get through, though.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jeff Stern. (stern@cis.ohio-state.edu)

CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET (The Ultron) (03/30/89)

Well, in my experience, the Kermit in ProTerm is severely flawed!!  but
before you start blaming ProTerm, check your transfers out again using
Kermit65 (the ONLY way to go for Kermit transfers on the Apple...  you
can get a copy from the KERMSRV at Columbia University..  (can't
remember the exact address to there...)  (BTW, I use Kermit65
exclusively when I need vt100 emulation (ProTerm's vt100 is flawed) and
mainframe file transfer capability (As I've said before, in my
experience, ProTerm's Kermit is also flawed, I don't know if they've
fixed it in the latest release (I admit I haven't tried Kermit in the
latest))) But just to check it out, get a copy of Kermit 65 and retry
your transfers if you don't get any problems, then it was ProTerm, if
you still do, then the Kermit on the Sun is bad (inform the local
demi-gods (sysadm))

Chris

 The opinions expressed herein are    Replies to:
 entirely my  own, but they can be      CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET
 yours for only  $29.95 plus tax.*      CYLau@UNCAMULT%UNCACDC.BITNET
 (* where applicable)                   or whatever is on the header)

>When kermitting between my Apple //e and the Sun UNIX system I belong to,
>most capital Y's are deleted.  Small y's and big Y's following spaces seem
>to get through, though.

What version of whose Kermit?  Alan Stein <Stein@UConnVM.BITNET> is
transfering files from his IIgs to the math department's Sun system here
using Kermit-65 vesion 3.85 without complaint.

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

According to the American Facsimile Association, more than half the calls
from Japan to the U.S. are fax calls.  FAX it to me at: 1-203-486-5246

stern@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (jeffrey a stern) (03/30/89)

Thanks for answering, Murph.  When starting up kermit, the first thing it
says on my UNIX system is

	C-Kermit, 4E(071) 18 Jan 89, 4.2 BSD

and I am using ProTerm v2.01...

I can ask around for more info, but this is really puzzling...

Jeff Stern.  (stern@cis.ohio-state.edu)

nuteskey@ndsuvax.UUCP (Vlad the Impaler) (03/30/89)

In article <890329190357.185171@UNCAMULT.BITNET> CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET (The Ultron) writes:
>Well, in my experience, the Kermit in ProTerm is severely flawed!!  but
>before you start blaming ProTerm, check your transfers out again using
>Kermit65 (the ONLY way to go for Kermit transfers on the Apple...  you
>can get a copy from the KERMSRV at Columbia University..  (can't
>remember the exact address to there...)  (BTW, I use Kermit65
>exclusively when I need vt100 emulation (ProTerm's vt100 is flawed) and
>mainframe file transfer capability (As I've said before, in my
>experience, ProTerm's Kermit is also flawed, I don't know if they've
>fixed it in the latest release (I admit I haven't tried Kermit in the
>latest))) But just to check it out, get a copy of Kermit 65 and retry
>your transfers if you don't get any problems, then it was ProTerm, if
>you still do, then the Kermit on the Sun is bad (inform the local
>demi-gods (sysadm))

I've been using Proterm 2.1 to upload and download to both an IBM 3081
running VM/SP and a DEC VAX running BSD UNIX.  The Kermit protocol works
fine on version 2.1.  The amazing part is that the batch even works.
2.1 has a bunch of other nifty stuff like Zmodem, improved macros and
split screen chat that make it worth the $129 (or whatever) it costs.

Mark.

NU128123 @ NDSUVM1.Bitnet
NUTESKEY @ NDSUVAX.Bitnet
NU128123 @ VM1.NoDak.EDU (Internet)
NUTESKEY @ Plains.NoDak.EDU (Internet)

mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Michael Steele) (04/05/89)

In article <890329190357.185171@UNCAMULT.BITNET> CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET (The Ultron) writes:
>Well, in my experience, the Kermit in ProTerm is severely flawed!!  but
	I use Proterm all the time to download from our VM/CMS machine using
	Kermit.  I've also used it on UNIX based kermit with no problems.
	One weird thing that I have noticed (I don't know if it's Proterm or
	the mainframe) is that you have to wait for the sending machine to
	send the first block before you select receive.  Not really a major
	inconvience considering the versitility of Proterm when compared
	with KERMIT!

>exclusively when I need vt100 emulation (ProTerm's vt100 is flawed) and
	I've used ProTerm quite extensively on many mainframes using vt100
	and have found only one flaw.  This is in UNIX's vi when a line
	wraps around without a CR.  This rare occurance causes ProTerm to
	shift everything down one line...that's the way it shows up on the
	screen, not the way it exists in the editor.

Hopefully soon I will have a nice comm program for the GS with vt100
support.

--
Michael Steele		mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
			mikes@ncsuctix.ncsuvx.ncsu.edu