[comp.sys.apple] Program to format documentation

PGOETZ@LOYVAX.BITNET (04/04/89)

Regarding Gary Gray's question about a program to format documentation: I
think you just described a word processor.  Of course, you'll have to get
one like Applewriter, which works with text files, rather than Appleworks,
which is off in its own file format world.

Phil Goetz

ggray@wpi.wpi.edu (Gary Gray) (04/05/89)

In article <8904031854.aa02477@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> PGOETZ@LOYVAX.BITNET writes:
>Regarding Gary Gray's question about a program to format documentation: I
>think you just described a word processor.  Of course, you'll have to get
>one like Applewriter, which works with text files, rather than Appleworks,
>which is off in its own file format world.
>
>Phil Goetz

In some sense, yes.  What I am writing is the part of the word processor that
actually prints out the documents.  The method I will use is generic enough
that any word processor capible of creating a text file can create nicely
formatted text on all machines.  If EVERYONE had Applewriter (I don't) or even
Appleworks, there would be no need for this, since you could simply include
the formatted text and allow the user to load it into his word processor and
print it in whatever format he wanted.  But, alas, there is no such standard,
and you get manuals that either are not formatted at all, or are invariably in
the wrong format for what you want to do.  By releasing a PD document
printer, I hope to establish some sort of standard so people don't have to
waste their time editing a manual to get it into the right format.  This
program will help generate more comprehensive documentation for share/free
ware, and perhaps broaden the appeal of these types of programs.
/ _ ar \/   ggray@wpi.bitnet    |  << generic clever and witty saying >>
\_| ra /    ggray@wpi.wpi.edu   |

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (04/06/89)

Have you ever used Freeprinter, the companion program (public domain) for
Freewriter?  If not, you probably should check to make sure it doesn't
already do what you have in mind.