[comp.sys.apple] SoftSwitch comes with manuals

>Date:         Tue, 4 Apr 89 01:08:10 CDT
>From:         "Jeremy G. Mereness" <jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU>
>Subject:      SoftSwitch
>
>I am experimenting with a copy of SoftSwitch that came with my computer,
>
>Apparently, any program that tries to capture all the available memory kills
>Softswitch.

All legitimate copies of SoftSwitch come with manuals.  I will not
quote for you the parts of the manual dealing with applications that
hog memory, and I hope no one else will either.

You can contact Roger Wagner Publishing at (619) 442-0522, or at
1050 Pioneer Way, Suite P, El Cajon CA 92020.

SoftSwitch is useful; the manuals are good; it is not
copy-protected.  It _is_ copyrighted.  Ken Kashmarek and Roger
Wagner have put a lot of work into the package.  Buy it.

>jeremy mereness
>jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpanet)
>r746jm7e@CMCCVB (vax.... Bitnet)

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

hentosh@amethyst.bucknell.EDU (04/06/89)

>>From:         "Jeremy G. Mereness" <jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU>
>
>SoftSwitch is useful; the manuals are good; it is not
>copy-protected.  It _is_ copyrighted.  Ken Kashmarek and Roger
>Wagner have put a lot of work into the package.  Buy it.

> --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs

I don't have a copy of SoftSwitch and haven't seen on.  But I thought
there used to be a big controversy over SoftSwitch's copy-protection.
That it wrote a specific byte into an unused location of batter-backup
ram, and some people where complaining about becoming obsolete when that
location might later have a function. After all if every company did that
it would fill the unused portions of backup ram or they would write over
each other.  Is this still true or did they remove it or was that something
else?  Just curious.

-- BITNET : hentosh@amethyst.bucknell.edu
            hentoshr@bknlvms.bitnet
   AppleLink PE : RobertH128

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (04/07/89)

Yes, Softswitch used to write in the battery RAM as a form of copy protection,
but the updated version no longer does that, and is not copy protected.