[comp.sys.apple] Unidisk 3.5 internals

>Date:         Wed, 5 Apr 89 22:57:36 GMT
>From:         Ralph Hyre <ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu!ralphw@PT.CS.CMU.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: UniDisk or SmartPort on a card?

>[...] The Uni 3.5 must have all of the hardware to talk to 'bare' 3.5
>drives (it has an IWM and even a 6502 inside!)

That doesn't necessarily mean that the thing has direct control over
what it sends out its daisy-chain port, though.  It might be limited
to passing stuff through or not passing it through.

>Has anyone out there actually used the code downloading facilities
>to shove code into the UniDisk itself that could talk to daisy-chained
>Apple 3.5s?  (there is 32K of RAM in there to play with.)  I suppose the
>first program I write for the UniDisk will be something that sends a
>listing of the ROM contents back down the smartport, so I can better
>understand what's going on:-)

BTW, there is only 2K of RAM in there, not 32K.

I downloaded a little program to a Unidisk one time...fetched the RAM
and ROM one byte at a time.  Couldn't make a whole lot of sense out
of it, since the CPU is _not_ just a 6502--it has extra opcodes for
some dedicated hardware ports, apparently, and I have no tech info on
the extra instructions.

>I assume that the Smartport firmware is interruptable, reentrant,
>and all that.

I don't know whether it is or not.  Wouldn't bet a whole lot on it
myself.

>BTW, How can I get the UniDisk 3.5 Tech Notes?

APDA, ALPE, CIS, GEnie, an A2-Central disk-of-the-month, numerous
FTP/etc archives, or send me about 3 bucks and I'll send you the TNs
on 2 3.5" disks.  TNs are _not_ terribly hard things to find, but
they aren't going to come and find you....

>                    - Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
>Internet: ralphw@{ius{3,2,1}.,}cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS
>Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons