[comp.sys.apple] Hmmm.

SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET ("Scott, part time fuzzy") (04/06/89)

I seem to have run into a problem.

  I want to make a nice, fast booting PD8 disk with my telcom programs on it so
I do not have to put up with the slow GS/OS boot.  (Yes, I like GS/OS and I am
impressed at how much it can do, but Kermit only needs PROdos 8)

  I tried formatting a disk, copying P8 from the system folder of my system
disk, adding basic.system, renaming P8 to PRODOS, and stuffing all of my other
telcom files on it.  Sounded fine to me...

  Unfortunately, it crashes when I try to run basic.  Annoying; since I can't
  get kermit to run without it.

  It drops into the monitor at 00/0001 BRK...

  What have I missed?  Any clues?
    Scott
                                       SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX
                                       sellswor@jarthur.claremont.edu

  Want to see some elegant code?  Take a look at Dungeon Master.  Best graphics
work **I** have seen yet on the machine.  A bit slow in spots, but not
unreasonably so.

tsang@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Tsang) (04/07/89)

In article <8904060243.aa28839@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET
 ("Scott, part time fuzzy") writes:
>  I want to make a nice, fast booting PD8 disk with my telcom programs on it so
>I do not have to put up with the slow GS/OS boot.  (Yes, I like GS/OS and I am
>impressed at how much it can do, but Kermit only needs PROdos 8)

>  I tried formatting a disk, copying P8 from the system folder of my system
>disk, adding basic.system, renaming P8 to PRODOS, and stuffing all of my other
>telcom files on it.  Sounded fine to me...

>  Unfortunately, it crashes when I try to run basic.  Annoying; since I can't
>  get kermit to run without it.

You might try copying BASIC.SYSTEM from SYSTEM.DISK onto your telecom disk.
This contains all of Applesoft's runtime DOS routines ('cat', 'catalog',
'open', etc).  Think of it as half of what DOS 3.3 gave you.

If you don't need to access Applesoft at all, you might not need
BASIC.SYSTEM.  But some SYS files do require it, because they didn't
want to rewrite the standard (Pro)DOS commands...

  Donald Tsang
  tsang@cory.Berkeley.EDU  ||  ...!ucbvax!cory!tsang

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (04/07/89)

In article <12059@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> tsang@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Donald Tsang) writes:
>In article <8904060243.aa28839@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET
> ("Scott, part time fuzzy") writes:
>> [msg deleted]
>
>You might try copying BASIC.SYSTEM from SYSTEM.DISK onto your telecom disk.
>This contains all of Applesoft's runtime DOS routines ('cat', 'catalog',
>'open', etc).  Think of it as half of what DOS 3.3 gave you.

	He already did that.  Half of what DOS 3.3 gave you?  Basic
	is an application and DOS 3.3 was an operating system.  Besides,
	ProDOS gives you alot more than DOS 3.3 did.

>If you don't need to access Applesoft at all, you might not need
>BASIC.SYSTEM.  But some SYS files do require it, because they didn't
>want to rewrite the standard (Pro)DOS commands...

	The ProDOS commands are not contained within Basic.System.  ProDOS
	Basic uses the ProDOS commands, but ProDOS is not located within
	Basic.

If you want a disk that will boot into a ProDOS 8 application, do the following:

	1) Start with a GS/OS system disk (yes, a gs/os disk)
	2) Remove the */SYSTEM/START file
	3) Remove all files of type $B3 (S16) with the ".SYS16" extension
	   from the root directory
	4) Remove all files of type $FF (SYS) with the extension ".SYSTEM"
	   from the root directory.
	5) Place your file in the root directory, it must have a type of
	   $FF, and an extension of ".SYSTEM".  If you want a basic
	   program to be launched, then leave Basic.System in the root
	   directory and name your basic program "Startup", and place
	   it in the root directory, also.
	6) Remove all the device drivers you dont need from the
	   */SYSTEM/DRIVERS folder.
	7) Remove all the DA's you don't need from the */SYSTEM/DESK.ACCS
	   folder.
	8) Boot this disk.

	With this method, I am willing to bet that you will get boot times
	of between 30 seconds to 1 minute.
| This message does in no way reflect the views or opinions of   |
| any organization.  In fact, they illustrate just how           |
| disorganized things really are.                                |

SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET ("Scott, part time fuzzy") (04/07/89)

>From: Cary Farrier <farrier@APPLE.COM>
>In article <12059@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> tsang@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Donald
> Tsang) writes:
>>In article <8904060243.aa28839@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET
>> ("Scott, part time fuzzy") writes:
>>> [msg deleted]
>>
>>You might try copying BASIC.SYSTEM from SYSTEM.DISK onto your telecom disk.
>>This contains all of Applesoft's runtime DOS routines ('cat', 'catalog',
>>'open', etc).  Think of it as half of what DOS 3.3 gave you.
>If you want a disk that will boot into a ProDOS 8 application, do the following
   :
 [instructions deleted...]
>       1) Start with a GS/OS system disk (yes, a gs/os disk)
>       8) Boot this disk.

  Slight problem with this...

  I am using a CMS 60m drive.  Most of my boot time is spent waiting for the
damn thing to get up to speed.  Usually not a problem, but IF I am booting a
GS/OS disk, I **must** have the critter on line.  I believe one of the first
things that GS/OS does is poll all of the devices to see which ones are really
out there.

  This is especially annoying because I have one of CMS BRAIN DAMAGED SCSI
CARDS that I would kill to replace!!!  (lack of cash prevents this at the
moment)  Thier card leaks enough current to the apple while the drive is on
that one can't shut off the computer and cold boot without shutting down the
drive as well.  Annoying!.

  What really bothers me is that P8 used to be an effective, working prodos
file.  Formerly, one could boot straight into P8 without need of anything else.
Kind of nice to have the capability.  Does anyone out there know if it is still
possible to make a 3.5 inch, booting disk with only a PROdos file, sans ANY
startup files that poll all devices?

  I am going to give it another look-see sometime soon.  Also, does this mean
that a 5.25, 140K floppy needs _all_ of the gs/os files on it to run programs
that require basic.system?  I _must_ have forgotten a vital file or two
somewhere.

  Thanks, by the way, to those that have replied thus far.  Many decent ideas
for experimentation...

                                     Scott
                                     SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX
                                     sellswor@jarthur.claremont.edu

SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET ("Scott, part time fuzzy") (04/07/89)

  Re the PD8 disk that crashed for no apparent reason, causing me to wonder if
Prodos 8 was somehow altered in the last release of the system disk...

  It seems that my copy of basic.system got corrupted between my hard drive and
the microfloppy.  Strange...  A copy-over fixed everything.  I don't suppose my
CS instructors would be very happy with the "hit it with a BIGGER hammer"
approach...

                                                    Scott

In article <8904070949.aa23025@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET ("Scott, part time fuzzy") writes:
>  I am using a CMS 60m drive.  Most of my boot time is spent waiting for the
>damn thing to get up to speed.  Usually not a problem, but IF I am booting a
>GS/OS disk, I **must** have the critter on line.  I believe one of the first
>things that GS/OS does is poll all of the devices to see which ones are really
>out there.

After drivers are loaded, the Device Manager tries to generate drivers for
all firmware that didn't get a loaded driver.  This is what enables all
ProDOS devices to work with GS/OS, even without loaded drivers.  Currently,
it sends a ProDOS STATUS call to the drive, and builds a DIB for the device
only if it responds that it's actually there.  If it responds otherwise, no
DIB is built.  (This is also what causes the Sider Multi-OS ROMs to have some
GS/OS problems - the card won't return a good STATUS until someone has done
a READ to it.)

>  What really bothers me is that P8 used to be an effective, working prodos
>file.  Formerly, one could boot straight into P8 without need of anything else.
>Kind of nice to have the capability.  Does anyone out there know if it is still
>possible to make a 3.5 inch, booting disk with only a PROdos file, sans ANY
>startup files that poll all devices?

This is still possible; I boot into P8 1.7 all the time on my IIe, on both
3.5" and 5.25" disks, and I did just what you did:  took P8 from /SYSTEM.DISK/
SYSTEM/P8, renamed it PRODOS and put it in the root level of a floppy disk
with BASIC.SYSTEM.  If this is failing, the problem is somewhere else; doing
this is still quite valid.  I was pretty heavily involved with P8 1.6  and 1.7,
and I assure you nothing that major changed in those releases.  The last major
change to the P8 file was the addition of PFI code for AppleShare in 1.5 (*and
later*, of course, but this shouldn't be in memory at all unless you have an
Apple II WorkStation card in your IIe).

>  I am going to give it another look-see sometime soon.  Also, does this mean
>that a 5.25, 140K floppy needs _all_ of the gs/os files on it to run programs
>that require basic.system?  I _must_ have forgotten a vital file or two
>somewhere.

No no no no no.  It's something else that's messing things up.

>                                     Scott
>                                     SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX
>                                     sellswor@jarthur.claremont.edu

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."