[comp.sys.apple] SoftSwitch no longer fiddles with battery RAM

>Date:         Wed, 5 Apr 89 13:14:33 EDT
>From:         hentosh%amethyst.bucknell.edu@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
>Subject:      Re:  SoftSwitch comes with manuals
>
>[...] I don't have a copy of SoftSwitch and haven't seen one.
>But I thought there used to be a big controversy over SoftSwitch's
>copy-protection. That it wrote a specific byte into an unused
>location of batter-backup ram [...] Is this still true [...]?

Current versions of SoftSwitch do not fiddle with Battery RAM. (Roger
Wagner Publishing _removed_ that pseudo-copy-protection.  That's
another reason I encourage people to buy SoftSwitch.)

BTW, recent versions of SoftSwitch can be loaded using ProDOS 8 and
P8CDA (ProDOS 16 or GS/OS not necessary).  Same goes for MacroMate.
For those of you keeping score at home, that's the second message
I've written in the last 10 minutes mentioning P8CDA, and mentioning
that I wrote it.

It wouldn't be too fair for me to tell you that SoftSwitch,
MacroMate, and P8CDA are great products, so I'll just let you buy
them & decide that for yourselves.

 --David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
   DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
   P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
   North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (04/11/89)

> Current versions of SoftSwitch do not fiddle with Battery RAM. (Roger
> Wagner Publishing _removed_ that pseudo-copy-protection.  That's
> another reason I encourage people to buy SoftSwitch.)
>
>  --David A. Lyons

I just bought SoftSwitch, but it was on the "Sale" table.... So, how do I
know if what I got the better version?

Thanks,
 	Phil