[comp.sys.apple] I'm Miffed about binscii, shrinkit

robertd@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Robert Dexter) (04/04/89)

I am having a frustrating time with my appleIIe and these wonderful
programs that I am attempting to download.

I grabbed HyperC and Mad Apple Forth off of the net. It took a long
time to get all of the files for HyperC. Forth was easy. I finally
got Binscii1.01, BLU2.28 and many flavors of shrinkit. It took many
nights of work to get the hyperc files into one shrunk file. I am
not pleased with the amount of work required.

All three verson of shrinkit (0.95, 1.0, 1.01) all print a 6 in the
upper left corner of the screen and then goes into the monitor at
the first press of any key. I can write an assembly program that is
much smaller that does the same thing. The lastest version had the
documents (surprise) with it. To my dismay, it says I need a 65C02
and mousetext ROM (GS requirement?). I have never heard of this ROM.

I thought perhaps the II+ unshrink would do the job. I got that to
the point where it will run. I can go to the disk, select the file,
and that is it. There is *no* clue as to how to get it to unshrink.
Any key I press takes it back a menu level.

I still want to try out the HyperC, but I don't see how, if shrinkit is
machine dependant.

I then set that aside, thinking perhaps I can make use of Forth instead.
I read with delight that it didn't call for Shrinkit.
I ran it through binscii, and then started blu. It said there is
not enough room on the target disk. It needs 283 blocks and my
newly formatted PRODOS disk with *nothing* on it only has 273 blocks.
Another dead end.

As a side note, how about having binscii read past mailer info?

Well, here I sit with a flood of diskettes on my desk, and I can't
do a *damn* thing. If I have to invest in a hard disk, I might
just go ahead a get an IBM clone instead. I like my Apple, but it
sure isn't as easy to use as the AT at work. I have never had
trouble downloading PC software and unpacking it.

Any clues as to how do I do this on a standard IIe with duodisk
would be a great help.

cs1552ao@charon.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble) (04/04/89)

robertd@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Robert Dexter) writes:

> I am having a frustrating time with my appleIIe and these wonderful
> programs that I am attempting to download.
>
> All three verson of shrinkit (0.95, 1.0, 1.01) all print a 6 in the
> upper left corner of the screen and then goes into the monitor at
> the first press of any key. I can write an assembly program that is
> much smaller that does the same thing. The lastest version had the
> documents (surprise) with it. To my dismay, it says I need a 65C02
> and mousetext ROM (GS requirement?). I have never heard of this ROM.

With all due respect, Robert, you're in an awful small group if you've
never heard of this upgrade.  It's been available from Apple for at
LEAST three years, and most of the newer //e software I've seen requires
it.

Talk to your dealer about upgrading -- it's just a swap of a few chips on
the motherboard and it's well worth it.  The more recent the software you
use on the //e, the more likely it is that you'll need it . . . as you've
already discovered.

> Well, here I sit with a flood of diskettes on my desk, and I can't
> do a *damn* thing. If I have to invest in a hard disk, I might
> just go ahead a get an IBM clone instead. I like my Apple, but it
> sure isn't as easy to use as the AT at work. I have never had
> trouble downloading PC software and unpacking it.

No doubt your AT has at least 640K onboard, and maybe some high-density
floppy drives as well.  You can't expect your 128K //e with a pair of
140K drives to have that same level of functionality.

> Any clues as to how do I do this on a standard IIe with duodisk
> would be a great help.

Find a friend with an upgraded machine, preferably with a decent-sized
RAMdisk, a 3.5", or a hard drive.  You'll be able to get things going in
a few minutes.

                                                                         Lazlo
cs1552ao@charon.unm.edu   "Right, buddy...you're busted!  Get out the guitar!"

MEK4_LTD@DB2.CC.ROCHESTER.EDU (04/04/89)

Mr. Dexter,
	I am not sure why the II+ version of Shrink-it is not working
for you, but I think I can help you with your question about the Mousetext
ROM and the 65C02.
	Later versions of the IIe were called enhanced IIe's. The upgrade
consisted of a 65C02 which replaced the older cpu, and a new text rom that
included characters for "arrows" and "window bars", etc. This rom is the
MouseText ROM. Your Apple dealer should be able to still upgrade your IIe
to the new rom and cpu.

						Mark Kern
						MEK4_LTD@db2.cc.rochester.edu
						University of Rochester

nicholaA@moravian.EDU (04/05/89)

>I am having a frustrating time with my appleIIe and these wonderful
>programs that I am attempting to download.

>All three verson of shrinkit (0.95, 1.0, 1.01) all print a 6 in the
>upper left corner of the screen and then goes into the monitor at
>the first press of any key. I can write an assembly program that is
>much smaller that does the same thing. The lastest version had the
>documents (surprise) with it. To my dismay, it says I need a 65C02
>and mousetext ROM (GS requirement?). I have never heard of this ROM.

No, the MouseText ROM is for the Apple IIe.  Apple refers to the machine as
the "Enhanced IIe" -- if you have a IIc, IIc Plus, "Enhanced IIe",
or Apple IIgs, the program should work fine.  ShrinkIT vers 1.0 and 1.1
should print the message "65C02 AND MOUSETEXT REQUIRED" if your machine
won't work with it.

>I thought perhaps the II+ unshrink would do the job. I got that to
>the point where it will run. I can go to the disk, select the file,
>and that is it. There is *no* clue as to how to get it to unshrink.
>Any key I press takes it back a menu level.

Once you select the file you want to extract *FROM*, by pressing <return>
while the highlighter is ON TOP of the filename that is an archive,
you should be shown a list of the contents of that archive.  From there,
press <space> when the highlighter is ON TOP of each record in the archive
that you want to extract FROM.  An inverse ">" should appear by the
filename (if you want to be prompted for where to put that record once
ShrinkIT has started extracting the records, press "P" instead of <space>
for "Prompted" extractions).

Once you have selected all the records WITHIN the archive you want to extract,
press <return>.  You will then be asked on which volume you want to place
the records - if the records you selected were files, or the volume you want
a disk-record placed.

It's really kind of simple from there.  I apologize for the lack of
documentation, but I'm a college student and don't get paid for what I've
written so far, and really don't have enough time to document everything
I have written properly.  I'l probably start documenting alot of stuff
properly over the summer when I don't have so much to do...

The documentation for the ENHANCED IIE version of ShrinkIT covers most of
the basics for extracting stuff from archives and what keys are valid at
which dialogs. (yes, almost all of the key combinations work on the II+
versions as well as the IIe version).

andy

PS - There will be a conference on April 10 at 10:30 PM EST on ShrinkIT
     in the a2pro section of GEnie.  I'll be there to answer any questions
     you folks might have.

----
Andy Nicholas                     CsNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435, Moravian College      InterNET: shrinkit%moravian.edu@relay.cs.net
Bethlehem, PA  18018               uucp: rutgers!lafcol!lehi3b15!mc70!shrinkit
----                           ALink PE: shrinkit

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (04/11/89)

In article <4429@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM> robertd@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Robert Dexter) writes:

>As a side note, how about having binscii read past mailer info?

It does. Always did. Version 1.0.2 is the current version out there and it
even does a better job of ignoring white space in the file (ie, CRLF shouldn't
throw it).

Work on BinSCII is currently on the back burner as I have *much* more
important stuff to work on (like, my schoolwork).

Dave Whitney	A junior in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link & BinSCII. Send me bug reports. I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."