[comp.sys.apple] Miffed about stuff

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin O. Lepard 629-5511 x6668", 517) (04/05/89)

Actually, there is no reason that programs that use Mousetext will not
run on machines with the old video ROM.  You'll just get a different
character set than mousetext, either inverse or flashing, I forget which.
It won't effect the way the program runs; it just looks funny.

If you're really picky, you can make a dual video ROM and switch between the
old and new video ROMs so any //e software you use will have the right set
of video characters available for use.

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet:  Sasquatch@albion.bitnet

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (04/11/89)

In article <8904051454.aa19329@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin O. Lepard  629-5511 x6668", 517) writes:

> Actually, there is no reason that programs that use Mousetext will not
> run on machines with the old video ROM.  You'll just get a different
> character set than mousetext, either inverse or flashing, I forget which.
> It won't effect the way the program runs; it just looks funny.
>
> If you're really picky, you can make a dual video ROM and switch between the
> old and new video ROMs so any //e software you use will have the right set
> of video characters available for use.
>
> Kevin Lepard
> Bitnet:  Sasquatch@albion.bitnet

libraries, I'd like to suggest a text-based script which selects whether
programs should use the MouseText character set. A text-based file could be
easily edited by available tools, yet provide flexibily in software
compatability. I had the idea of a dual video ROM back when the //enhanced
first came out, so my Apple II+ has MouseText. (I also have dual BASIC and dual
MONITOR ROMS for instantaneous load/switch to INTEGER or APPLESOFT with user
selection of AUTOSTART or the traditional Apple II Monitor). The MouseText is
selected by $C08A and $C08B, because these annunciators are preset by the
AUTOSTART ROMs to the proper level at RESET.

Another suggestion would be to store the MouseText enable softswitch addresses
in the install script of the shareware windowing software, so that people like
me could "patch" the program to work with our "enhancements". Install scripts
are not very popular with Apple software, because Apple has done a decent job
of making their hardware differences detectable from the ROM version number.
In the PC world, where every clone maker plays a different ball game, the
makers of software are forced to provide code which will boot on anything, yet
can easily be configured once booted to use any advanced features of the
system. Now that many II+ owners have features like lower-case or a C02 or even
C802, it would be great if at least the public domain programs could be user
configured to someones system. Examples of this are Apple PASCAL 1.1 (partially
takes advantage of lower case, but you have to edit the OS to defeat the
keyboard mapping that is specific to the original Apple keyboard),
Glen Bredon's Merlin, and a disk repair kit tool (name?) that asks you each
time if you have lower case.

If you're going to write it, do it right!

Brian Willoughby                        microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
                or                      uw-beaver!microsoft!brianw
                or just                 microsoft!brianw