[comp.sys.apple] //c Hard drives

Geva_Apple-Maniac_Patz@cup.portal.com (04/02/89)

Hi,

I own a  small GBBS system running off an Apple //c with a UniDisk 3.5
Being (at present) a small BBS, it managed to fit on one disk for the
better part of a year. Unfortunately, it has now grown to the point
where it will no longer fit onto one disk, and I am forced to start
looking for a hard drive.

Unfortunately, the only hard drive that I have managed to locate  that
is //c-compatible is a Chinook unit, which costs in excess of $700 for
a 20-megabyte system.

Being a non-profit (read: small loss) BBS, I simply can't afford this.
I've given up on sponsorship, as  local companies seem totally apathetic
to BBS's, and it goes against my principles to charge money for a BBS.

This is NOT a begging letter for sponsorships [although any such offers
will be greatly appreciated ;-)]. What I do need to find, though, is a
somewhat cheaper hard disk for my //c.

Does anyone 'out there' know of another make of hard disk for the //c?
I know that ProApp used to make something to that effect, but it (the
drive AND the company) seems to have vanished. Or, perhaps, does anyone
have a second-hand unit that they would be prepared to offload at a
rock-bottom price?

%%%%
 Geva
  %%%

mackay@iisat.UUCP (Daniel MacKay) (04/04/89)

In article <16587@cup.portal.com>, Geva_Apple-Maniac_Patz@cup.portal.com writes:

> I own a  small GBBS system running off an Apple //c with a UniDisk 3.5
> I am forced to start
> looking for a hard drive.

I recently bought an old Quark 10m drive for 400$Cdn; if you can find one
it may keep you happy for a while.  The quarks are kind of neat; they work
with the //e (daisy-chained into the Disk ][ controller), the //c, the Mac
(on the serial port) and even the Apple /// (daisy chained to the Disk ///
external port).  They have two three-way switches on the back, and you tell
the machine what computer it's hooked up to.

I was interested because I have a friend with a /// who needs a hard disk
occasionally, a Mac buddy who has it most of the time, and there are
times when I want it on my //c.

The Quark hard disk can be partitioned into SOS, Prodos, Mac, // CP/M,
and (I think) ][ DOS volumes.  It comes in 10M & 20M sizes.

None of the machines boots from the Quark; it comes with a copyable/
configurable startup disk for each machine, which, in Prodos' case, pops
a little driver into Prodos on the way up.

Sun Remarketing is selling the Quarks refurbished but in the catalog
I only see the 20M version for 895$US, which is a bit outrageous.  You
may want to call them and talk them into a deal, at 1-800-821-3221.

--
+---------+				IIS Public Usenet
|    _    |     From the		Halifax, Nova Scotia
|   (_)===|     Disk of ...		Canada
|         |      Daniel		mackay@iisat.UUCP
+---------+			...{utai,uunet,watmath}!dalcs!iisat!mackay

shark@cisunx.UUCP (Shark) (04/07/89)

	Conserning the APPLE HARD DISK topic. How hard would it be to
	buy a 10MB IBM compat. HD ($79.00 new), Bulid a interface card
	for that APPLE and make it compatible with software drivers on
	the market and USE IT. I think it's ridiculous to pay $595.00
	for a refurbished 10 MB HD for the APPLE.

	Any Ideas???? (are the APPLE HD (just the HD) much different
	from an IBM model?)

"I think todays phisicists| "The FORCE will be  | Filip Gieszczykiewicz
are the ones who slow down|  with you.. always."| Bitnet: shark@pittvms
the advancement of out    |  - Star Wars        | net: shark@unix.cis.pi
civilization..", ME. (me) | "It *IS* with me..."| ttsburgh.edu

ctuel@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Cliff Tuel) (04/08/89)

shark@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Shark) said...

|	Conserning the APPLE HARD DISK topic. How hard would it be to
|	buy a 10MB IBM compat. HD ($79.00 new), Bulid a interface card
|	for that APPLE and make it compatible with software drivers on
|	the market and USE IT. I think it's ridiculous to pay $595.00
|	for a refurbished 10 MB HD for the APPLE.

In 1988 Perlin Electronics (which may or may not still be around) made a
card for $195 that let you use most IBM hard disks in an Apple //.  There
was a discussion on this approach in the August, 1988 issue of Open-Apple.
Some quotes:

	"We have received two letters from readers who have purchased
	this controller [from Perlin] -- the opinions ranged from
	negative to extremely negative.  Complaints revolved around
	the difficulty of getting the setup to work and on a lack of
	support from Perlin."

So, it CAN be done but it isn't easy.  And while we're on the subject of
hard disks, this was on the next page of the same Open-Apple:

	"I know you can notch a floppy disk and flip it over to get
	an extra 143K.  Can I notch my Sider hard drive, flip it over,
	and get another 10 megabytes of storage?

						Doug Smith
						Long Beach, NC

	I had Dennis try it.  He reports he got 10 megabytes _less_
	storage."

Just one of the many reasons I love that rag!   2:-)

--
                         ___________________________
-------------------------  _    .       ___         --------------------------

In article <17391@cisunx.UUCP> shark@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Shark) writes:

>	Conserning the APPLE HARD DISK topic. How hard would it be to
>	buy a 10MB IBM compat. HD ($79.00 new), Bulid a interface card
>	for that APPLE and make it compatible with software drivers on
>	the market and USE IT. I think it's ridiculous to pay $595.00
>	for a refurbished 10 MB HD for the APPLE.
>

>	Any Ideas???? (are the APPLE HD (just the HD) much different
>	from an IBM model?)

	In this month's A+ [May 1989], there is an article on making a
"homebrew hard drive." It seems to me to be a very informative article...
It's probably what I'll do when I get a harddrive...

	It's interesting, their homebrew 60mb drive is $711 (or $11.85 per
megabyte)...An APPLE 40 megabyte drive is $1508 (or $37.70 per megabyte)..

	And the homebrew drive -is- a SCSI drive...Price obviously includes
case, cables, fan, etc...

 				-unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User)

christer@zeus.cs.umu.se (Christer Ericson) (04/10/89)

In article <10059@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> ctuel@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Cliff Tuel) writes:
>So, it CAN be done but it isn't easy.  And while we're on the subject of
>hard disks, this was on the next page of the same Open-Apple:
>
>	"I know you can notch a floppy disk and flip it over to get
>	an extra 143K.  Can I notch my Sider hard drive, flip it over,
>	and get another 10 megabytes of storage?
>
>						Doug Smith
>						Long Beach, NC

It doesn't surprise me that the technical editor (whatever his name may be) of
InCider thinks that an Apple disk has 143K, but that Open-Apple should fall
into the same trap is frightening...

What is happening to the Apple world? Didn't we use to have the most
knowledgeable users?

/Christer

Christer Ericson / Inst. for Information Processing / University of Umeaa /
S-90187 UMEAA / Sweden / Internet: christer@cs.umu.se

mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Michael Steele) (04/12/89)

In article <17391@cisunx.UUCP> shark@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Shark) writes:

>	Conserning the APPLE HARD DISK topic. How hard would it be to
>	buy a 10MB IBM compat. HD ($79.00 new), Bulid a interface card
>	for that APPLE and make it compatible with software drivers on
>	the market and USE IT. I think it's ridiculous to pay $595.00
>	for a refurbished 10 MB HD for the APPLE.

For that price you could build your own 40meg SCSI drive.  I'm looking to
build a 60meg SCSI drive for around $650.  Has anyone done this?  I was
wondering whether I should get a 28ms drive or a 39ms drive? Is the addition
$100 going to be worth the access time?  I think not, but was wanting some
more input.

For more info look at the March issue of A+.

					Michael Steele
						mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

--
Michael Steele		mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu