[comp.sys.apple] Still looking for GS self test error codes.

wack@udel.EDU (Andrew Wack) (04/12/89)

A few days ago I posted that my GS died and that when I invoked the
self test I got an error code 01061600, and I asked if anyone knew
what that meant.  One person replied that they thought the codes were
in the GS owners manual, but all it says is to contact your dealer
(of course).  I'd really like to know what this means, since if it
is something I can replace myself (CPU, sound chip, ram, IWM [yes I
realize the last two are soldered in place and not in sockets]) I'd
rather do that and save my self some money (read: starving college student).

So can anybody help me?  Keith?  Somebody else from Apple?

			  Much thanks for any and all help.

			  Andrew
			  wack@udel.edu

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (04/12/89)

In article <12853@louie.udel.EDU> wack@udel.EDU (Andrew Wack) writes:
>A few days ago I posted that my GS died and that when I invoked the
>self test I got an error code 01061600, and I asked if anyone knew
>what that meant.  One person replied that they thought the codes were
>in the GS owners manual, but all it says is to contact your dealer
>(of course).  I'd really like to know what this means, since if it
>is something I can replace myself (CPU, sound chip, ram, IWM [yes I
>realize the last two are soldered in place and not in sockets]) I'd
>rather do that and save my self some money (read: starving college student).
>
>So can anybody help me?  Keith?  Somebody else from Apple?

I'm afraid that I don't know what they are. I remember that there was much
consternation over this with the original ROMs, as literally no one knew what
they meant. The story told to me was that the error codes were defined by the
person who did the diagnostic software, but he or she never documented them.
The only way to figure out what was going on was to look it up in the source
code.

Things were done a little better with the 01 ROMs, but I personally don't have
a list. One person who may be able to help you would be mattd@apple.com.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions