[comp.sys.apple] IIgs Firmware Question

hentosh@amethyst.bucknell.EDU (04/09/89)

When using the IIgs firmware to access the serial-ports, the Firmware Reference
says that you must be in emulation mode and the DBR must be $00. Does the
processor have to be in emulation anytime the firmware is servicing interupts
or just when you access the firmware to get the next byte or send the next byte
etc...
                        Bob

-- BITNET : hentosh@amethyst.bucknell.edu | 'Ever have deja vu and amnesia
            hentoshr@bknlvms.bitnet       |  at the same time?'
   AppleLink PE : RobertH128              |            -- Steve Wright

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (04/12/89)

hentosh@amethyst.bucknell.EDU writes:
>When using the IIgs firmware to access the serial-ports, the Firmware Reference
>says that you must be in emulation mode and the DBR must be $00. Does the
>processor have to be in emulation anytime the firmware is servicing interupts
>or just when you access the firmware to get the next byte or send the next byte
>etc...

For more information on how exactly interrupt handlers leave you sitting,
check out the firmware reference.  If you would care to explain exactly what
you wish to accomplish, I could take a stab at answering your question about
interrupts.

It's possible to call the firmware routines via the misc. toolset FW_Entry
(firmware entry) call.  You can do this from native mode without worrying
about the particulars for setting up the calling environment, DBR, etc., then
fixing them.

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com