[comp.sys.apple] gs Error messages

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (04/13/89)

   > CS-ID: #7243.user/apple@pro-angmar 686 chars
   > Date: Wed, 12 Apr 89 03:32:17 EST
   > From: obsolete!wack%louie.udel.edu (Andrew Wack)
   > Subject: Still looking for GS self test error codes.
   >
   > A few days ago I posted that my GS died and that when I invoked the
   > self test I got an error code 01061600, and I asked if anyone knew
   > what that meant.  One person replied that they thought the codes were
   > in the GS owners manual, but all it says is to contact your dealer
   > (of course).  I'd really like to know what this means, since if it
   > is something I can replace myself (CPU, sound chip, ram, IWM [yes I
   > realize the last two are soldered in place and not in sockets]) I'd
   > rather do that and save my self some money (read: starving
   > college student).
   >
   > So can anybody help me?  Keith?  Somebody else from Apple?

   In Michael Fischer's "Apple IIgs Technical Reference", on page 213 it says:

       ".... A total of 11 different tests are conducted.  ..... These
       tests, their test number, and the ROM location where each test is
       found are listed in table 7-9.

                  #        Test Name                     Location
                  1        ROM Checksum                  $FF/7CAE
                  2        RAM 1 - Moving inversions     $FF/776C
                  3        Softswitches                  $FF/7A58

       [There's more but we've passed what's important]

       Just before each test is run, its test number is displayed on the
       screen as a long integer value.  The first byte is the test number
       and the remainder of this value is zero.  .... [More not included]
       ... The remaining portion of the value is the error type.  .... The
       first test the ROM checksum.  This routine checks the contents of
       the system ROM (Banks $FE-$FF), performing an exclusive OR with
       each byte.  It then compares this value with the specifed value for
       the checksum.  [More bs but the second byte is the faulty checksum
       error]"

   I hope that helps...
<< MCT >>

BCS Apple/Connection    (617) 893-5681  [MCT]
AppleLinkPE             M Tiernan
GEnie                   M.Tiernan
obsolete!pro-angmar!m.tiernan@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
obsolete!pro-angmar!m.tiernan@bu-it.bu.edu