[comp.sys.apple] A couple of updates

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (04/13/89)

Folks,

Just a couple of updates:

1) A little while ago, someone assumed that there wasn't going to be a fall
AppleFest because s/he did not see it listed on the back of Apple Direct. How-
ever, s/he wasn't patient enough, as the listing of events that was displayed
there did not reach far enough into the future to cover AppleFest. The new
Apple Direct will soon be out, and at the bottom, in full living blue and white,
it states that AppleFest will be showing in San Francisco on 9/22-9/24.

You can all breathe a sigh of relief now...

2) There was a question concerning what the error numbers meant from the Apple
IIGS diagnostics. I didn't know what they meant at the time, but Matt Deatherage
was kind enough to forward this to me so that it could be posted:

Apple IIGS: System Diagnostic Errors

This article last reviewed: 10 November 1988

Here's the currently available, though incomplete, list, with explanations,
of error codes generated by the Apple IIGS when running system diagnostics
for the Apple II Family (V1.0B1).

Apple IIGS error codes have the form AABBCCDD.

Test numbers AA

Error Code (AA)        Test
---------------      ----------------------------
"RM"/01                Checksum
02                     RAM Moving Inversions
03                     Softswitch
04                     RAM Address
05                     FPI Speed
06                     Serial I/O
07                     Real Time Clock
08                     Battery RAM
09                     Front Desk Bus
0A                     Shadowing
0B                     Interrupts

AA=06  serial test
BB          Meaning
--         -----------
01          Register R/W
04          Tx Buffer empty status
05          Tx Buffer empty failure
06          All sent status fail
07          Rx char available
08          Bad data

AA=03  RAM test
BBCC=  Address

AA=01  ROM Checksum
BB=    Failed checksum
DD=1   Bad RAM

AA=05  Speed
BB=1   speed stuck slow
BB=2   speed stuck fast

AA=08  Battery RAM
BB=01  address test failure and CC= bad address
BB=02  memory failure and CC = pattern, DD = Address

AA=02  Softswitches
Bb=    Statereg bit
CC=    Read softswitch address

AA=04  Front Desk Bus
BBCC=  Bad checksum found
DD=01  FDB toolcode encountered a fatal error and no checksum computed

AA=04  Ram Adddress
BB=    failed bank No
CC=    failed bit

AA=06  Clock Test
BBCCDD=not used
DD=01  a fatal error occcurred after the test to within a second

AA=0A  shadow register functionality

AA=0B Mega II and VGC capability of generating interrupts.
BB=01 VBL interrupt timeout
BB=02 VBL IRQ status fail
BB=03 1/4 SEC interrupt
BB=04 1/4 SEC interrupt
BB=05 ---
BB=06 VGC IRQ
BB=07 SCAN Line

Copyright 1988 Apple Computer, Inc.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (04/14/89)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.apple: 13-Apr-89 A couple of updates Keith*
> *Rollin@Apple.COM (3084)*
> Just a couple of updates:
> 1) A little while ago, someone assumed that there wasn't going to be a fall
> AppleFest because s/he did not see it listed on the back of Apple Direct. How-
> ever, s/he wasn't patient enough, as the listing of events that was displayed
> there did not reach far enough into the future to cover AppleFest. The new
> Apple Direct will soon be out, and at the bottom, in full living blue and
> white,
> it states that AppleFest will be showing in San Francisco on 9/22-9/24.
> You can all breathe a sigh of relief now...

One important point, however. Will this Fall Applefest ALSO be 25% Mac oriented?

This outrage for the Spring 'Fest has caused many software companies to boycott
and announce the abandonning of Apple // projects. Some companies, as I recall,
were Electronic Arts and Activision.

jeremy mereness
=============
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpanet)
r746jm7e@CMCCVB (vax.... Bitnet)

bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) (04/14/89)

in article <IYFC6fy00Xon80akZq@andrew.cmu.edu>, jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) says:

> One important point, however. Will this Fall Applefest ALSO be 25% Mac oriented?
>
> This outrage for the Spring 'Fest has caused many software companies to boycott
> and announce the abandonning of Apple // projects. Some companies, as I recall,
> were Electronic Arts and Activision.

If there is in fact a fall Applefest, don't count on it being 25% Mac.
Apple has given Cambridge the word, the next Applefest will be near 50%
Mac. Apple wanted many more Mac items on the seminar agenda this time,
but Cambridge won out and pulled many of them except the beginners ones.
But Apple has told them they want the percentages to equal the amount
of Mac space they give at their exibit, and the plans for fall are 45-50%..

You said that
Electronic Arts would not be at Applefest. Please check your facts, as
from what I was told they have NOT pulled out, just cutback by 50% or
more on the size of their booth as has Broderbund. Activision, MDIdeas,
and TML are among those who will NOT appear in Boston. As of 2 weeks ago
only one new Mac vendor had signed up for the show. It seems as though
they prefer the Mac only shows to spend their money at. It should be
interesting, As Keith has said, the Fall Applefest is now listed, but
if Cambridge does not make money this time around, or if instead of
growth there is loss in size and/or attendance, who knows if they will
want to promote another show.. The name belongs to Apple, but the show
is theirs.
--
  Internet  -- bsherm%umbio@umigw.miami.edu
  UUCP      -- {uunet!gould}!umbio!bsherm