[comp.sys.apple] What to do about a bad block

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (04/13/89)

I recently got a ProDos "DISK I/O" error when downloading a file with
kermit.  The file looks like it got saved OK.  (I can read it all and it
all seems to be there.)  Just to be safe I decided to run the Finder's
"verify volume" on my harddrive.  It told me that only one block,
#16384, was bad.  (The drive is a 40Meg Everex set up as a 32Meg volume
under P16 but I'm now running GS/OS -- I haven't had the courage to dump
the whole thing and reformat/partition it to use all 40M) Soooooo, four
questions --

a) is there any easy way of finding out what file and/or directory 16384
is in, or if it might in fact be unused?  (note that 16384 = 2**14,
which seems an interesting coincidence.)

b) if it is unused, or even if not, how does one go about marking it as
a bad block?

c) what is the best set of hard drive utilities for dealing with such a
problem?  My guess is the ones that come with ProSel but I'll ask again;
now that ProSel-16 is out and is reported to have selective
backup/restore I guess its time to get it.

d) does ProDos do a read-after-write to verify that what it writes
actually gets written correctly?

TMPLee@Dockmaster.ncsc.mil

jb10320@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU (Jawaid Bazyar) (04/14/89)

/* Written  3:07 am  Apr 13, 1989 by TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:info-apple */
/* ---------- "What to do about a bad block" ---------- */
From: TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL

] I recently got a ProDos "DISK I/O" error when downloading a file with
] kermit.  The file looks like it got saved OK.  (I can read it all and it
] all seems to be there.)  Just to be safe I decided to run the Finder's
] "verify volume" on my harddrive.  It told me that only one block,
] #16384, was bad.  (The drive is a 40Meg Everex set up as a 32Meg volume
] under P16 but I'm now running GS/OS -- I haven't had the courage to dump
] the whole thing and reformat/partition it to use all 40M) Soooooo, four
] questions --

] a) is there any easy way of finding out what file and/or directory 16384
] is in, or if it might in fact be unused?  (note that 16384 = 2**14,
] which seems an interesting coincidence.)

     No, not really.  It mainly consists of using a program such as Bag of
Tricks II to scan all the files on the disk to find the one that containts
the bad block (if any).  Note that B**4 (described below) does NOT find
bad files for you. It is asssumed that you learned of the bad block by trying
to access a file which ProDOS promptly gave you an I/O error for.

] b) if it is unused, or even if not, how does one go about marking it as
] a bad block?

    Just have ProDOS pretend that it belongs to a file. This is what my
utility, Big Bad Block Buncher (or B**4) does. BTW I just sent this program
to APPLE2-L and COMP.BINARIES.APPLE2.

] d) does ProDos do a read-after-write to verify that what it writes
] actually gets written correctly?

    Yes, but that really only does you any good if it wrote correctly in the
first place. If it doesn't verify, it'll just go "blork" and give you an
I/O Error.

] TMPLee@Dockmaster.ncsc.mil

jawaid bazyar				"The only way to do it is to go into
jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu		 the future and assume that it has
					 already been done. Then go back in
					 time and it should be done, Wilbur."
					    Mister Ed on LSD

bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) (04/14/89)

in article <890413062835.131220@DOCKMASTER.ARPA>, TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL says:

> a) is there any easy way of finding out what file and/or directory 16384
> is in, or if it might in fact be unused?  (note that 16384 = 2**14,
> which seems an interesting coincidence.)
>
> b) if it is unused, or even if not, how does one go about marking it as
> a bad block?

How right you are. The best program I am aware of is Mr. Fixit for the
bad block part, and Information Desk to find out what file resides
on that block, if in fact one does reside there... And both of these
programming wonders are part of the ProSel package. I would not touch my
hard drives with any other utility package...

Standard disclaimers apply. I have no interest in the mentioned products
other than being a satisfied user.
--
  Internet  -- bsherm%umbio@umigw.miami.edu
  UUCP      -- {uunet!gould}!umbio!bsherm

aragorn@blake.acs.washington.edu (Michael Owen) (04/14/89)

In article <890413062835.131220@DOCKMASTER.ARPA> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>I recently got a ProDos "DISK I/O" error when downloading a file with
>kermit.  The file looks like it got saved OK.  (I can read it all and it
>all seems to be there.)  Just to be safe I decided to run the Finder's
>"verify volume" on my harddrive.  It told me that only one block,
>#16384, was bad.  (The drive is a 40Meg Everex set up as a 32Meg volume
>[...]
>b) if it is unused, or even if not, how does one go about marking it as
>a bad block?
>
>c) what is the best set of hard drive utilities for dealing with such a
>problem?  My guess is the ones that come with ProSel but I'll ask again;
>now that ProSel-16 is out and is reported to have selective
>backup/restore I guess its time to get it.

A couple of weeks ago while I was backing up my Everex 20D drive, I came up
with five different bad blocks.  I ran Mr. Fixit in Bad Block Lockout mode,
which placed the bad blocks in a BAD.BLOCKS file in the root directory, and
reallocated the damaged files new blocks to replace the bad ones.  I had to
recopy the files from floppy back to the hard drive, but otherwise the
problem was fixed very quickly and easily with Mr. Fixit.  Well...perhaps not
*very* quickly...the Bad Block Lockout mode had to read the entire drive of
40000 blocks.

>TMPLee@Dockmaster.ncsc.mil

       />    The Broken Blade           Aragorn III (Michael Owen)
      /< ________ ______________        aragorn@blake.acs.washington.edu
C=====[*>_______/|______________>       Starfleet HQ: (206) 783-5589
      \<                                3/12/24 8N1 24 hrs - A ModemWorks BBS