[comp.sys.apple] ANNOUNCED!! a IIgs+???

>one of them can be true. John Sculley has announced a IIGS+.
                                           ^^^^^^^^^

Are you referring to the "There'll be an upgrade of the IIgs" statement
of a year or so ago, or has a product (promise of a product?) actually
been announced.  Did he say any more than there will be one?

Also, the Computer Chronicles "Random Access" (two weeks ago) quoted Sculley
as saying there WOULD be an under $1,000 (perhaps AFTER educational discount)
Macintosh (compatible with the Mac Plus).  Do you know whether he actually
said that (any time frame, etc??)?

The "Golden Gate" rumor doesn't seem to want to go away.  It's latest version
is as a coprocessor (a Mac Plus coprocessor for the IIgs????).  Is that
speculation worthless, or must you just "wink at it?"  Could that be the
K-12 Mac (it would make sense - the IIgs monitor, diskdrives, and
keyboard already exist, a Mac+ compatible coprocessor board oughta be well
under $1000 in that environment :-)?

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/15/89)

In article <8904141438.aa04524@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:

> Also, the Computer Chronicles "Random Access" (two weeks ago) quoted Sculley
> as saying there WOULD be an under $1,000 (perhaps AFTER educational discount)
> Macintosh (compatible with the Mac Plus).  Do you know whether he actually
> said that (any time frame, etc??)?
> Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]

Well, with educational discounts, the Mac Plus now sells for under $1000,
so Sculley statement would hold true (if it were made in that educational
context, as would be assumed).  I know that was one of Apple's goals: to
be able to sell a Mac to educational institutions for less than $1000.

-Michael Niehaus

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (04/15/89)

In article <8904141438.aa04524@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>>one of them can be true. John Sculley has announced a IIGS+.
>                                           ^^^^^^^^^
>Are you referring to the "There'll be an upgrade of the IIgs" statement
>of a year or so ago, or has a product (promise of a product?) actually
>been announced.  Did he say any more than there will be one?

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. As far as I know, there haven't been any
other announcements. I also don't know what the name will be; I just used GS+
as a name that most people can relate to.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions