[comp.sys.apple] Transwarp GS ship dates

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (04/14/89)

Must be a run on the product.  Yesterday I called AE and a few mail
order places to see what their prices and expected deliveries were.
Programs Plus quoted what appears to be the standard mail order price of
$299 or so and said to expect about a two week delivery.  I got
permission to buy one and called back today -- today they said to call
back again around May 15!  AE was quoting 4-6 weeks, CDA 4 weeks and
Golem didn't know.  (I really think there is something a bit shady about
advertizing you carry a product and not being able to give a ship date.)
will make some more calls tomorrow ...

tribby@hpindda.HP.COM (David Tribby) (04/14/89)

I just got the new Sider GS/OS driver from First Class Peripherals.
Included with the software was a letter reporting FCP had completed testing
Transwarp GS with their drives and found no problems. They gave suggested
modifications for interleave formatting, to take advantage of the higher
speed.

--Dave Tribby
                                   - - - - -
        ARPA: tribby%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP: hplabs!hpda!tribby

taro@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Taro Nobusawa) (04/15/89)

In article <890413235652.551368@DOCKMASTER.ARPA> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>$299 or so and said to expect about a two week delivery.  I got
>permission to buy one and called back today -- today they said to call
>back again around May 15!  AE was quoting 4-6 weeks, CDA 4 weeks and

Well, I stopped by my favorite local computer store here and the GS guru
showed me the Transwarp GS they recieved.  Only one to appease & tease.  He
expects the main shippment soon.  He reported no problems with it, but I
didn't get details from him as I caught him as he was leaving work.
--
"I'm opposed to millionares, but it would be dangerous to offer me the position"
Taro Nobusawa  		taro@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu              -Mark Twain

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (04/15/89)

Called several more mail order houses.  The quoted ship dates ranged
from two weeks to six weeks to "we don't know".  North Forty in NJ was
actually quite helpful -- I may have it garbled, since I didn't take
notes at the time, but only something like 200 have been shipped so far
(from AE) with 2600 on order.  North Forty said they were receiving
product from AE x per week (1,2,3, etc.)  but receiving orders x per
day.  They expected volume production in 5-6 weeks.  Another house said
they understood AE was having problems with some chip (unspecified).

TMPLee@dockmaster.ncsc.mil

p.s.  -- I left my name with a local dealer who was expecting delivery
in a week or so (given that he only ordered his stock the 5th I have my
doubts) and also ordered one from a mail order house that was quoting
2-3 weeks; ve vill see ...