[comp.sys.apple] Oh come on guys...

tomj@pro-pac.cts.com (Tom Jenkins) (04/15/89)

You know, sometime in the past there was talk about the "old" P8 Apple II
Desktop...I found it on an old disk, booted it up and much to my
amazement, the black and white Apple II Desktop was infinitely faster than
the newer Finder as found on system disk 4.0 (GSOS).

Why is it then, that Apple cannot write a Finder program under P16 that is
as fast as the old P8 Desktop?  Why not?  Is it the color?  Is it GSOS?
Is a cheatah really faster that a locomotive???

I routinely use the old (or read - newest) Launcher found on the 3.x
system disk because the newer Finder is slow opening up and closing
windows.  And no, I can't see spending $350 (TWGS) just to make the darned
windows work properly altough I will anyway because speeding up the IIgs
will keep me from going outsane (insane?)

Come on guys, can't we make the new Finder just as fast as the old
Desktop?  And if not, how can I install the Apple II Desktop on the GSOS
disk to make it boot into it?  Would it go into the System folder -
renamed as "Start" with a subdirectory labeled "Desktop" with it's desk
accys?  HELP!

And another thing!  Is there any other 3 1/2 inch disk drive that will
work in the Apple IIc other than the UniDisk 3.5?  Why can't I take a
Macintosh 3.5 incher and "hack" into working?  Isn't the Unidisk a "dumb"
drive?  If not, am I stuck with the UniDisk?  Anyone wanna get rid of
their Undisk?  Huh?

So there...

--
UUCP: {nosc, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj

In article <8904150937.AA12944@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj@nosc.mil writes:
>You know, sometime in the past there was talk about the "old" P8 Apple II
>Desktop...I found it on an old disk, booted it up and much to my
>amazement, the black and white Apple II Desktop was infinitely faster than
>the newer Finder as found on system disk 4.0 (GSOS).
>
>Why is it then, that Apple cannot write a Finder program under P16 that is
>as fast as the old P8 Desktop?  Why not?  Is it the color?  Is it GSOS?
>Is a cheatah really faster that a locomotive???
>
>I routinely use the old (or read - newest) Launcher found on the 3.x
>system disk because the newer Finder is slow opening up and closing
>windows.  And no, I can't see spending $350 (TWGS) just to make the darned
>windows work properly altough I will anyway because speeding up the IIgs
>will keep me from going outsane (insane?)
>
>Come on guys, can't we make the new Finder just as fast as the old
>Desktop?  And if not, how can I install the Apple II Desktop on the GSOS
>disk to make it boot into it?  Would it go into the System folder -
>renamed as "Start" with a subdirectory labeled "Desktop" with it's desk
>accys?  HELP!

When asking for answers from people at Apple, it's usually not a good idea
to start the message with the insinuation that they screwed up.  It tends
to make people defensive.

As has been stated many times before, it's not surprising that the Desktop
can seem to run twice as fast as the Finder, since the Finder is in 32K
Super Hi-Res graphics and the Desktop is in 16K Double Hi-Res.  For some
reason, manipulating twice as much graphics data takes twice as long.  Top
computer scientists are working on theories for this even as we speak. :-)

>And another thing!  Is there any other 3 1/2 inch disk drive that will
>work in the Apple IIc other than the UniDisk 3.5?  Why can't I take a
>Macintosh 3.5 incher and "hack" into working?  Isn't the Unidisk a "dumb"
>drive?  If not, am I stuck with the UniDisk?  Anyone wanna get rid of
>their Undisk?  Huh?

Exactly backwards:  The UniDisk is a "smart" drive; the IIc (before the IIc
Plus) didn't contain the firmware to work with "dumb" drives like the Apple
3.5 Drive.

>So there...

<nyah yourself>

>UUCP: {nosc, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
>                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj
>ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj@nosc.MIL
>INET: tomj@pro-pac.CTS.COM - BITNET: pro-pac.UUCP!tomj@PSUVAX1

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."