[comp.sys.apple] AWGS and printer buffers

paulh@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) (04/16/89)

I am contemplating the purchase of a buffer for my Imagewriter II printer
but have been told by some folks that it will not help speed up printing with
Appleworks GS.

I am new to serial printers and Imagewriter II's and don't know a whole heck
of a lot about them. My old MX-100 and Microfazer would buffer anything and
let me get back to whatever I was doing while the document printed and I'd
like the same thing to happen with my new Imagewriter II.

Will a buffer like the Orange Micro one allow AWGS to dump everything into it
and allow me to keep on doing something else?

Thanks.
----
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.com}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!paulh
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!paulh@nosc.mil
INET: paulh@pro-europa.cts.com - BITNET: pro-europa.uucp!paulh@psuvax1
ALPE: PaulH54     -/-     GEnie: p.hutmacher     -/-    MCI: 326-8034

asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (04/17/89)

In article <8904160716.AA22052@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sol!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!paulh@nosc.mil writes:
>I am contemplating the purchase of a buffer for my Imagewriter II printer
>but have been told by some folks that it will not help speed up printing with
>Appleworks GS.
That's absolutely true.  AWGS is SOOOOOO slow preparing stuff it never will
bog down the printer EVER!  Now maybe if ya had a TranswarpGS, you might be
able to get ahead of the printer and then the buffer would come in handy.

>I am new to serial printers and Imagewriter II's and don't know a whole heck
>of a lot about them. My old MX-100 and Microfazer would buffer anything and
>let me get back to whatever I was doing while the document printed and I'd
>like the same thing to happen with my new Imagewriter II.
Ya try you old printer with AWGS?  Ya wouldn't find it buffering anything
there ither.

>Will a buffer like the Orange Micro one allow AWGS to dump everything into it
>and allow me to keep on doing something else?
I got one for the same reason (someone did tell me it wouldn't buffer AWGS
stuff but I wanted one anyways).  I've encountered one MAJOR problem that I
haven't been able to contact Orange Micro about yet.

Apparently, AWGS resets the printer at the top of every page and waits for the
printer to tell it that it is fine or something.  However the buffer doesn't
pass this on to the printer or it doesn't pass back the confirmation.  This
means I have to do a select of the printer to somehow get AWGS to recognize it
or something.  This isn't too much of a pain the first page, but on the second
and succeeding pages, doing this causes the buffer to reprint part of the
first page.  It is sorta neat to watch it burn out a bunch of lines of that
graphic text, but afterall, it was supposed to be printing the second page,
not part of the 1st on the 2nd.  Somebody told me or posted something about
Apple's drivers not working with buffers which is absolutely stupid
considering they sell printers with buffers and the buffer cards for these
Imagewriters IIs.

Anybody know anything about this problem?  Is there an upgrade rom chip for
the Orange Micro?  Will the sucker work correctly with AWGS?  Maybe I'll be
able to add something if I can get a hold of their tech person sometime next
week.

Kareth
--
asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu

"Be excellent to each other!" - Bill & Ted.