[comp.sys.apple] New compression algorithms

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (04/17/89)

If by technical reference you mean a journal article, I dont think that
the folks who are evolving the LZHARC, or whatever they are calling it,
have written anything in english yet - it is a group of japanese computer
hackers.  But someone translated the Japanese doc into english, sent the
source and binaries to SimTel (and the other IBM archives) and Rahul just
posted the source on comp.binaries.ibm.pc about a week ago.  The discussion
is quite heavy on the comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d group concerning the savings
in disk space in the use of the lz pgms.

--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (04/17/89)

While I hate to include long listings, ZI am going to include the header
for some of the info concerning the new compression that I am talking
about.  There will be addresses and newsgroups so just about anyone should
be able to contact SOMEONE for some help ;-)

From: cgh!paul@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Paul Homchick)
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc
Subject: v02i052: lz-comp, lzari, lzss, lzhuf compression package (part 01/05)
Date: 8 Apr 89 19:41:05 GMT
Sender: ibmbin@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

Checksum: 1838218560  (Verify with "brik -cv")
Posting-number: Volume 02, Issue 052
Originally-from: Haruhiko Okumura via Kenjirou Okubo <no email address>
Submitted-by: Paul Homchick <cgh!paul@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com>
Archive-name: lz-comp/part01

[
This package of files was uploaded to GEnie by Kenjirou Okubo, and
submitted for comp.binaries.ibm.pc distribution by Paul Homchick, one
of the Sysops of the IBM PC RoundTable there (thanks, Paul).  Since
this is a pure text package, I am posting it as text files.  These
files were collected together by Haruhiko Okumura, who has included a
paper reviewing several data compression methods and explaining the
algorithms used in the Japanese archiving programs Lharc and Larc.
There are five files in this package:

     readme          package summary
     compress.txt    the compression paper by Haruhiko Okumura
     lzari.c         C source for lzari compression, by Haruhiko Okumura
     lzhuf.c         C source for lzhuf compression, by Haruyasu Yoshizaki,
                     comments translated into English by Haruhiko Okumura
     lzss.c          C source for lzss compression by Haruhiko Okumura

There was more, but this should get you folks going ....