[comp.sys.apple] Imagewriter II color dump prgm

MJBURGE@OWUCOMCN.BITNET (04/15/89)

        I am in need of an utility to print hires images in color on an
imagewriter II printer.  I am looking for either a public domain driver,
or a relatively inexpensive utility.  If anyone has such, I would appreciate
any information you can give me.

        Also, maybe the wrong forum, but has anyone ever written an IBM PC print
driver for the Imagewriter II?  If so I would like to hear from you also.  Thank
you for your time.

                                        Mark James Burge
                                        mjburge@owucomcn.bitnet

mackay@iisat.UUCP (Daniel MacKay) (04/15/89)

In article <8904141658.aa09020@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, MJBURGE@OWUCOMCN.BITNET writes:

>         I am in need of an utility to print hires images in color on an
> imagewriter II printer.  I am looking for either a public domain driver,
> or a relatively inexpensive utility.  If anyone has such, I would appreciate
> any information you can give me.

A couple of years ago, when I was cleaning up the shop, I came across a disk
entitled "Imagewriter Toolkit" which did this.  As a matter of fact, it
did a whole bunch of neat things.  It could re-colour a colour image with
a really complicated palette system, change the size and orientation of the
image, and load ALL the apple graphic files, and a half dozen other formats
I'd never heard of.

It was written in BASIC with ML drivers and wasn't copy protected, but
unfortunately had NO information about its origin- no copyright screen, no
notations in the documentation in any of the BASIC modules.  No-one in the
shop had ever heard of it.  I'm pretty sure it didn't come from Apple.
It ran in 40-columns, as I recall.

Unfortunately, I loaned the disk to a friend while the "Zap Track Zero"
ProDOS bug was running around, and... you guessed it.  There are so many
millions of files in the thing that I can't recreate track zero manually,
so I think the thing is a lost cause.

I'd also really like to know where this came from, and where to get a
replacement, or buy a legit copy.  It was excellent.
--
+---------+	From the		IIS Public Usenet
+---------+				MACKAY@DALAC.BITNET

>It was written in BASIC with ML drivers and wasn't copy protected...
>
>Unfortunately, I loaned the disk to a friend while the "Zap Track Zero"
>ProDOS bug was running around, and... you guessed it.

Now I don't feel so obsessive-compulsive about putting write tabs on
originals and ONLY working from copies (and I NEVER loan an original
disk to anyone!).

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (Rich Sims) (04/17/89)

Daniel MacKay writes:

> A couple of years ago, when I was cleaning up the shop, I came across a disk
> entitled "Imagewriter Toolkit" which did this. As a matter of fact, it
> did a whole bunch of neat things.
> I'm pretty sure it didn't come from Apple.
> It ran in 40-columns, as I recall.

A number of years ago, Apple distributed a disk called "The ImageWriter
Toolkit", which ran in 40 columns and allowed the user to set up a number of
printer options.  I have a version marked 1.00A, which is a DOS 3.3 disk.

The disk was distributed to Apple dealers with the intent that copies be
given to any customer who wanted one  (media to be provided by the customer,
of course -- at least, at the dealership where I was employed!)

This was pre-ImageWriter II (pre-Scribe, even) and had no color capabilities
at all.  Perhaps the disk you described was a later version of the same thing,
or (more likely, since the originals did have a copyright screen) copies of
the programs from an original Toolkit disk.

Rich Sims

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!rich
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!rich@nosc.mil
INET: rich@pro-exchange.cts.com