[comp.sys.apple] Anyone know about SCSI hard drive controllers?

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (04/12/89)

I started this by asking about AE's new hard drive.

> Subject:      Re: AE's (vaporware) Hard Drive, any info. out there?
>
>   Apple II drives don't have to be as expensive as you think.  I bought
> a 45 Meg drive from HDI for $569.  They sell 20 Meg drives for $426.
> They're really for Macs, but they work fine with Apple IIs.  You just
> need to add a SCSI card.
>   When you total up actual costs, drives for an Apple aren't that much
> more expensive than drives for an IBM.
>
> Alan H. Stein

Does anyone out there know what the disadvantages and advantages of using a
SCSI card for a hard drive controller?  (ie. is there ram resident s/w
available so my //gs doesn't have to slow down to talk to it?  does it prevent
the use of any "neat features" everybody uses on their hard drives?  is it
slower?  etc.)

|	     The Apple //'s will live forever!!		  |
|  Phil Lindberg	    snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| INET: prl3546@tahoma.UUCP		Renton, WA 98056  |
| UUCP: ..!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!prl3546	  |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	  |

bird@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Walters) (04/17/89)

From article <370@tahoma.UUCP>, by prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg):
> Does anyone out there know what the disadvantages and advantages
> of using a SCSI card for a hard drive controller?  (ie. is there
> ram resident s/w available so my //gs doesn't have to slow down
> to talk to it?

Ohio Kache is going to announce a SCSI piggyback card for their
KACH card at Applefest. If you had a hard disk, a Kache card with
the SCSI interface, your data intensive programs would act a lot
like the data were resident in RAM.

--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 416-5356