[comp.sys.apple] Multitasking

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (03/22/89)

For people who have received a copy of my Shell program by now, in the
instructions I mention that version 2.0, should I decide to release it
will support multitasking.  Actually, the currecnt version of Shell
supports multitasking, it just doesn't include the multitasking driver.
Unless one considers my clock programs multitasking.

What I am waiting for now is for people to try out the shell program
as it now exists.

--
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.

cbdougla@uokmax.UUCP (Collin Broadrick Douglas) (04/06/89)

     To tell you the truth, I would rathat have multitasking with Prodos
     8 programs than Prodos 16 or GS/OS.  What I'd like to do is run a BBS
     in the background and still retain some productivity.  I use a lot
     of 8 bit software so the board would be up most of the time etc...
     IS this just absolutely impossible to do?  Like I said a while back, the
     COCO III can multitask and I want to do it on my GS (especially now
     that I've gotten used to UNIX and the Encore Multimax  :)  )

				Collin

secrist@msdsws.DEC.COM ("Richard C. Secrist") (04/06/89)

	Even the CoCo I can multitask under OS-9 but anybody who has
	ever tried it can tell you it was a real dog.  Of course that
	was on a 0.8 MHz 6809E -- perhaps Transwarped or something
	on a // it might be a useful option...

	rcs

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (04/07/89)

cbdougla@uokmax.UUCP (Collin Broadrick Douglas) writes:
>     To tell you the truth, I would rathat have multitasking with Prodos
>     8 programs than Prodos 16 or GS/OS.  What I'd like to do is run a BBS
>     in the background and still retain some productivity.  I use a lot
>     of 8 bit software so the board would be up most of the time etc...
>     IS this just absolutely impossible to do?  Like I said a while back, the
>     COCO III can multitask and I want to do it on my GS (especially now
>     that I've gotten used to UNIX and the Encore Multimax  :)  )

The CoCo uses OS/9 for multitasking, which is an OS designed specifically with
multitasking in mind.

Multitasking on the Apple II is more difficult, first since there is no
multitasking OS available, and second since in emulation mode you have to
watch out for certain portions of memory, depending on what you're doing.  You
would probably find it difficult (if not impossible) to run anything from a
favorite game to Appleworks at the same time you're running a BBS under ProDOS
8, since most software takes so much advantage of what's available here and
there that it crowds out the possibility of multitasking.

Michael Pender seems to have some software brewing that lets you do P8-type
multitasking, but I have no idea what limitations it has or doesn't have.
Michael?

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

GREYELF@WPI.BITNET (04/08/89)

>     To tell you the truth, I would rathat have multitasking with Prodos
>     8 programs than Prodos 16 or GS/OS.  What I'd like to do is run a BBS
>     in the background and still retain some productivity.  I use a lot
>     of 8 bit software so the board would be up most of the time etc...
>     IS this just absolutely impossible to do?  Like I said a while back, the
>     COCO III can multitask and I want to do it on my GS (especially now
>     that I've gotten used to UNIX and the Encore Multimax  :)  )

>                                Collin

Well Collin, Daemon will do that now, but unfortunately a minimum
of an enhanced IIe is necessary....

--
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        I wrote SHELL and Daemon,
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          send bug reports, suggestions,

People keep asking me if Shell or Daemon are compatible with the IIc, IIe.
YES, I wrote them on my Laser 128.  I mean, what would be the challenge to
multitasking on a IIgs?  I'll start writing dedicated gs programs when
somebody sends me one in the mail.

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (04/14/89)

In article <8904061416.AA20685@decwrl.dec.com> secrist@msdsws.DEC.COM ("Richard C. Secrist") writes:
>	Even the CoCo I can multitask under OS-9 but anybody who has
>	ever tried it can tell you it was a real dog.  Of course that
>	was on a 0.8 MHz 6809E

A Zip chip or something would make it worthwhile.  My cycles are more
important, and if I can avoid having to recreate my environment by
letting the machine keep multiple instances around, then I'm happy.

I think most of the CoCo's problem was a problem with the R/S disk
controller.  It's still not an Amiga, but where else can you multitask
for less than $500? (C64 + GEOS, I suppose).

Article 413 of comp.sys.m6809:
From: knudsen@ihwpt.ATT.COM (mike knudsen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.m6809
Subject: Re: 16k Coco purchase query
Date: 12 Aug 87 17:39:31 GMT

> OS-9 on the Color Computer is not a true multitasking system due to lack of
> DMA and the NMI kludge of the disk controller.  Too many interrupts can (and
> do) get lost.  I'm hoping the CoCo 4 (if Tandy ever gets off its ass) will
> break away from the old CoCo mode and use the real 6809 hardware like the
> 6829 (with 8 of them you can manage two megabytes of memory, or one meg and
> memory protection!), DMA, and maybe even *gulp* multiple processors!
> Ronald Cole				| uucp:     ihnp4!csun!csuchic!ronald

Both Levels 1 and 2 OS9 can be made into true multitasking systems
(edit one file while compiling another and printing yet a 3rd),
IF you buy one of the two new floppy disk controllers coming out
of Canada -- either Sardis Technologies in British Columbia or
DISTO in Quebec (anyone in Alberta want to cover the middle?)
Both of these cache up at least a sector at a time and transfer
by nice simple software loops that don't block interrupts or do any
other non-Ivy_League gaucheries.  The 8K of RAM in the Sardis may
someday be expanded by software into a real cache of the sort being
discussed on this net.

These new controllers cost about $150 US each.  Whatever you do,
don't buy a Radio Shack controller, since 3rd-party clones at least
as good are available as low as $65 (see _The Rainbow_ mag.).
The Shack's disk drives are also a ripoff.

$170	Coco III
$ 65	Disk controller
$ 90	one DSDD-40 drive
$ 80	OS9 Level 2
$ 70	case, power supply & cable for drive
----
$475 + your TV set or $90 mono monitor

PS: Motorolas's old MMU chips (6829) waste a clock cycle on every
RAM access.  Tandy's new custom GIME chip does not.
I posted months ago about how easily Tandy could extend the GIME
to 2 Meg.  Let's not wish Tandy back to obsolete off-shelf chips.
--
Mike J Knudsen    ...ihnp4!ihwpt!knudsen  Bell Labs(AT&T)
    Delphi: RAGTIMER    CIS: <memory failure, too many digits>

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@{ius{3,2,1}.,}cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (04/18/89)

   Jonathan Chandross et al:

       Adding to a message I posted to info-apple (Multitasking thought)
   earlier, I think that for the most part if we were to approach this whole
   thing with the open mindedness that we A) Can do it, and B) That
   effectively, we are going to be writing an entire system that is (for the
   most part) incompatable with what we now use for utilites and
   applications.  The reason that I say this is that while it's being
   developed, unless we do get a piece of hardware that can manage the memory
   usage and access, we are not likely (note, I didn't say won't) going to be
   able to run our AppleWorks and desktop applications.

       In his reply to Dave Whitney (dcw@athena.mit.edu), Mr. Chandross
   points out that the BRK instruction will serve as a nifty TRAP
   instruction.  As a matter of fact, I do believe that I once saw a Merlin
   macro called TRAP that helped set up such a psudo instruction.  This is
   true, the use of our new TRAP would work good for directly talking to our
   running system.

       Someone else pointed out that "...a multitasking OS is a physical
   impossiblity on the II line. IT CAN'T BE DONE. ..."  As I remember, some
   whiz-bang at Hewlett Packard told one of their employees that you couldn't
   make a profitable micro computer and that they weren't interested in his
   design.  Now what was his name.... Steve something...  Damn, I keep
   forgetting his name...  ;->  And again, Mr. Chandross points out that in
   the dark ages the earliest versions of UNIX ran on 64K machines.  (I was
   running one a number of months ago, I asked the guy I worked with and he
   booted it up for me.) (I'm not sure what version it was but it ran
   [walked] on a 64K PDP-11)

       Now, down to the reason that I took pen to paper.... er.. finger to
   key.  I've read the Tannenbaum operating systems and design book and have
   thought about how such a thing could be done.  Now, this is limited in
   it's depth and I haven't even tried to put it on paper yet but, if we
   started one process (the mother hen as it were) and had it be the only
   running process that talks to the operating system, then we could
   implement a request que to it.  It's job would be to handle all calls to
   the operating system and to system resourses that aren't allocated (more
   on allocation later).  It would immediately spawn a second process that
   would (for the time being) be our operator interface, our shell.  I
   realize that we wouldn't have a REAL shell type environment right away,
   but it's a start.  Now, instead of the shell talking to the hardware, it
   ques requests for reads and writes to the request que and then go into a
   wait state.  This would give us our first level of multitasking but we
   also need to implement a scanning process that would be able to trigger a
   context switch on what we've got running and bring another into play.
   This can be done with the heartbeat interrupt from the IIgs clock (or
   another source if not on the gs).  This will give us our second level of
   multitasking, a time-slicing system.

       Well, that's my rambling for awhile.  I'm sure that none of it is new
   but I thought I'd at least see if I can get a little more productive
   posting done than the simple retoric in the vain of "Tastes great!" "Less
   filling!".  Let's see what else comes up!

       P.S. Mr. Chandross, Re: I know of a stripped down Unix kernal that fit
   in 32K on a Z-80.  User applications ran in the other 32k.  While this is
   a small amount of code, it could run a shell, ed, and other simple
   utilities.

       Does it run on the Apple (MicroSoft CP/M)?  If so, I would like to see
   it!

   << MCT >>

   BCS Apple/Boston Connection     [MCT] (617) 893-5681
   GEnie                           M.Tiernan
   AppleLinkPE                     M Tiernan
   BCS Net                         Michael Tiernan
   obsolete!pro-angmar!m.tiernan@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
   obsolete!pro-angmar!m.tiernan@bu-it.bu.edu
   pro-angmar!m.tiernan@obsolete.uucp
   m.tiernan@pro-angmar.cts.com

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (04/19/89)

I might point out that even on the mainframe level, massive amounts of memory
haven't been required for multitasking.  Up until just a few years ago, a
company I worked for was running an IBM System/36 with over 20 users in 256k.
They received an update for 1 megabyte.  :-)