[comp.sys.apple] And another thing!

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (04/18/89)

Could anyone explain to me why the 65816 was given all those nifty-neato
features and they didn't make the stack a full 24 bits?!?!?!

<< MCT >>

BCS Apple/Boston Connection     [MCT] (617) 893-5681
GEnie                           M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE                     M Tiernan
BCS Net                         Michael Tiernan
obsolete!pro-angmar!m.tiernan@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
obsolete!pro-angmar!m.tiernan@bu-it.bu.edu
pro-angmar!m.tiernan@obsolete.uucp
m.tiernan@pro-angmar.cts.com

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (04/19/89)

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) writes:
>Could anyone explain to me why the 65816 was given all those nifty-neato
>features and they didn't make the stack a full 24 bits?!?!?!

I think the main reason for the strange confinements of the stack has
something to do with the fact that the emulation mode stack has to be in bank
zero.  Not being a hardware hacker, I'm not sure if that's true.  Also not
being a hardware hacker, I'm wishing they would have used a 24-bit pointer
too.

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com