[comp.sys.apple] //e TechNote Graphics

ERAN@BGUVM.BITNET (Eran Lachs) (04/13/89)

   This is a bit old, but...I downloaded the two tech-notes graphics files,
UnShrunk them and got a README.GRAPHICS text file and TN.AIIE.00x.GRA,
the 'x' standing for file 2-9. The MacDown utility starts processing each file,
only to beep and announce "ProDOS error $4D" some 20 secs later.

   Has anyone succeded getting these graphics into Hi-Res or DHR ?

   Any and all replies absolutely welcomed.

Eran Lachs
Ben Gurion U, Israel
Bit -> eran@bguvm

ctuel@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Cliff Tuel) (04/13/89)

ERAN@BGUVM.BITNET (Eran Lachs) said...

|   This is a bit old, but...I downloaded the two tech-notes graphics files,
|UnShrunk them and got a README.GRAPHICS text file and TN.AIIE.00x.GRA,
|the 'x' standing for file 2-9. The MacDown utility starts processing each file,
|only to beep and announce "ProDOS error $4D" some 20 secs later.
|
|   Has anyone succeded getting these graphics into Hi-Res or DHR ?

	This WAS discussed a while ago, but an acceptable solution
	was never proposed.  How about someone with a Mac converting
	them to PostScript files?  I can send PostScript files to a
	LaserWriter directly from this account, and others can probably
	do the same or find a way to do so.

	This shouldn't be too hard, since I believe the pictures were
	drawn with MacDraw.  Someone should look into this...

--
                         ___________________________
-------------------------  _    .       ___         --------------------------

blackman@PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) (04/16/89)

Eran Lachs (eran@bguvm.bitnet) writes:
>   This is a bit old, but...I downloaded the two tech-notes graphics files,
>UnShrunk them and got a README.GRAPHICS text file and TN.AIIE.00x.GRA,
>the 'x' standing for file 2-9. The MacDown utility starts processing each file,
>only to beep and announce "ProDOS error $4D" some 20 secs later.

>   Has anyone succeded getting these graphics into Hi-Res or DHR ?

I got both TN.Aiie.Gra files from Apple2-L, and unShrunk them.  However,
BinSCII reported a CRC error on the first one.  I ignored this and found
that all the files were OK, except TN #3.

I had to re-port these to the Mac, change their filetype back to
MacDraw, and everything worked just fine (except for #3) -- using
MacDraw.  This is why MacDown doesn't work -- it works only on MacPaint
(ie bitmapped images) files.  MacDraw is closer to a PostScript-type
file which contains line commands, shapes, fills, etc.

I can upload these to the net in PostScript form for a Laser printer,
and *MAYBE* put them in a MacPaint --> SHR format (but I'm not sure
about the MacPaint/SHR).

Anybody interested?

>Eran Lachs
>Ben Gurion U, Israel
>Bit -> eran@bguvm

=-=-Scott "WhiteWoman" Blackman-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I have just discovered a proof of    / blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Fermat's Last Theorem, but it is    / blackman@phoenix.UUCP, blackman@PUCC
too big to fit in my .signature... / {allegra}!princeton!phoenix!blackman

blackman@PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU (Scott Michael Blackman) (04/19/89)

As I'm uploading the graphics to the net in PostScript, should I put
them in raw text, or should I run them through Shrinkit/BinSCII first
(effectively limiting them to LaserWriters)?  The files look to be
very large if uncompressed, but I'll bet lots of people have access to
mainframe line printers that use PostScript.

Help me out, folks.

Scott

Scott Blackman, 103 Forbes College  /  Princeton University
I have just discovered a proof of  /  blackman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Fermat's Last Theorem!  But it's  /  blackman@phoenix.UUCP, blackman@PUCC
too long to fit in this .sig...  /  ...allegra!princeton!(phoenix|pucc)!blackman