[comp.sys.apple] Possible Hardware Problem

robert_macausland@brains.UUCP (Robert MacAusland) (04/15/89)

Re:Possible Hardware Problem:
     I've had my GS for about 3 weeks and yesterday and one time today it did
something strange.  After finishing using Appleworks I ejected the disk and
inserted another disk and the OA-Ctrl-Reseted.  The machine came up with the
standard screen, beeped as usual, and then beeped again, and again, and again
.... ad infinitum.  Resets (Warm, luke-warm, and cold) didn't help.  The
problem disappeared tho after I removed the disk and turned the machine off
and then on.  I don't have fan, but I don't think its heat related as
everything seemd to work fine after I clicked the machine off and on. Any
thoughts?  I have a 1 year apple care agreement, but I can't be bothered to
drag my machine in for repair until I know what the problem is.... Bitnet:
Robm@tuns
                    From Robert Macausland logged in at
         Cerebral Cortex BBS System (902)462-7245 8N1 24h/7d
        {uunet, utai, watmath}!dalcs!iisat!brains!robert_macausland

DANFUZZ@BROWNVM.BITNET (Dan Bornstein) (04/19/89)

"From:         Robert MacAusland
     I've had my GS for about 3 weeks and yesterday and one time today it did
something strange...
The machine came up with the
standard screen, beeped as usual, and then beeped again, and again, and again
.... ad infinitum.  Resets (Warm, luke-warm, and cold) didn't help. "

This problem is probably not related to hardware. The //gs, the vector-laden
machine that it is, routes even ctrl-oa-reset through a vector. In your
case, it seems that this was somehow trashed. The technique I use when this
happens is to do a ctrl-oa-opt-reset, which will get you into the self test
ALWAYS and then quickly doing a ctrl-reset, so as to get out of the self-test
before it tests battery ram (It's not a good idea to hit reset when battery
ram is being tested. However, all I know is that it isn't the *first* (red)
test.) This has worked for me so far.

-dan

BitNet:   DanFuzz@BrownVM.BitNet
Internet: DanFuzz@BrownVM.Brown.Edu
EtherNet: Find me a long enough cable and I'll see what we can do.

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (04/20/89)

From article <4424@brains.UUCP>, by robert_macausland@brains.UUCP (Robert MacAusland):
> Re:Possible Hardware Problem:
>      I've had my GS for about 3 weeks and yesterday and one time today it did
> something strange.  After finishing using Appleworks I ejected the disk and
> inserted another disk and the OA-Ctrl-Reseted.  The machine came up with the
> standard screen, beeped as usual, and then beeped again, and again, and again
> .... ad infinitum.  Resets (Warm, luke-warm, and cold) didn't help.  The
> problem disappeared tho after I removed the disk and turned the machine off
> and then on.  I don't have fan, but I don't think its heat related as
> everything seemd to work fine after I clicked the machine off and on. Any
> thoughts? ....
> --
>                     From Robert Macausland

I had a very similar problem.  I discovered it only happened when I had my
RamKeeper plugged in and my printer powered up.  When I turned the power off
on my printer it didn't do it any more.  The only thing I can figure is
that it has to do with a power drain pulling down the power supply to the
ragged edge of tolerance, then the printer (i/o card?) pulling it over the
edge.

Insidentally I do have a fan, (a SystemSaver GS).

|	     The Apple //'s will live forever!!		  |
|  Phil Lindberg	    snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| INET: prl3546@tahoma.UUCP		Renton, WA 98056  |
| UUCP: ..!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!prl3546	  |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	  |