[comp.sys.apple] Apple File exchange

SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET ("Scott, part time fuzzy") (04/13/89)

  Hi all.

  A friend has many many GIF pictures on his Mac II hard drive.  He can write
them to HFS disks.  Any one know if I can read them from my GS?  The drives are
the same, so the possibility is certainly there.

  I have heard that there isa program called Apple File Exchange that might do
it, mentioned in my ALPE docs.  Unfortunately, I have not ever been able to log
onto ALPE.  I think the school phones are messing up the connection.  Any know
if this will work?

  I am hoping that we will see an HFS FST for GS/OS someday soon, but I have
one question: would the finder be able to read HFS format disks under those
conditions, perhaps transparent to the user?

  Thanks in advance to those who reply to this or the earlier questions.

                                        Scott
                                      SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX
                                      sellswor@jarthur.claremont.edu

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (04/14/89)

  Apple File Exchange comes on the system disks with every Mac, not just
the Mac II.  It can also use filters to translate files from one format
to another.  For example, Microsoft Works has a filter to translate
Appleworks files to Works files.  (Unfortunately, it doesn't do the
reverse.)
  Eventually, Apple plans to upgrade the Macs system software to
match the elegance of the GS/OS FSTs, so Mac users will be able to
use disks formatted for other operating systems without needing a
special utility.
  In the meantime, where are our HFS and Dos 3.3 FSTs?

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm                       (Bitnet)
Department of Mathematics  | 71545,1500                          (CompuServe)
University of Connecticut  | ah.stein                            (GEnie)
32 Hillside Avenue         | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu (Internet)
Waterbury, CT 06710        | {psuvax1 or mcvax }UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN (UUCP)
(203) 757-1231             |

RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") (04/14/89)

Scott (SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX) asks....
>.. can the GS read these gif pictures..
Scott AFX is on Mac system disk 6.0 or later. It should be in the system folder.
   Just run it and then put your prodos disk in the drive. It will let you trans
   ferwhat files you want, and it will even tell you which are compatible. Just
transfer the picuters in gif format and you should be able to read them with
SHRconvert.

Robert Brown
BITNET: RXBROWN@UALR
ALPE: ROBPHD

V2071A@TEMPLEVM.BITNET (* PF03 UNDEFINED) (04/14/89)

Mike,
     About Apple File Exchange, you will only be able to use MS-DOS
3.5" disks if you have a Mac with a SuperDrive.  The SuperDrive
comes standard with the Mac SE 30, the Mac IIcx, and the Mac IIx.
In order to use that capability on a Mac SE or Mac II, you will
have to have the Apple PC 5.25" drive and only be able to do the
transfers with MS-DOS 5.25" disks.

Hopes that clears up your queestion,

     George A. Piotrowski

Bitnet:     V2071A@TEMPLEVM
Genie:      G.PIOTROWSKI
Compuserve: 74046,1304

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (04/18/89)

From article <8904122347.aa22429@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET ("Scott, part time fuzzy"):

>   Hi all.
>
>   A friend has many many GIF pictures on his Mac II hard drive.  He can write
> them to HFS disks.  Any one know if I can read them from my GS?
> The drives are the same, so the possibility is certainly there.
>
>   Scott

I also have access to some Mac pictures.  Could someone post to the NET how
to get them into the GS?  (Assuming it's possible)

|	     The Apple //'s will live forever!!		  |
|  Phil Lindberg	    snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| INET: prl3546@tahoma.UUCP		Renton, WA 98056  |
| UUCP: ..!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!prl3546	  |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	  |

RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") (04/21/89)

  Phil Lindberg writes.....
>I also have access to some Mac pictures. Could someone post to the net how
>to get them into the GS?.......

Phil them only way I know of doing it is: first convert the pictures to Gif
format.  Second use AFX in the Mac system folder to transfer them to a Prodos
disk. Third read them with SHRconvert. So simple even a child prod.. ummm
progdi... umm,, oh well you know what I mean. 8-)....

I hope this works.

Robert Brown
RXBROWN@UALR
ALPE: ROBPHD

When in Rome do like the Romans do, I always say.

russotto@wam.UMD.EDU (04/22/89)

In article <8904211110.aa12302@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") writes:

>  Phil Lindberg writes.....
>>I also have access to some Mac pictures. Could someone post to the net how
>>to get them into the GS?.......
>
>Phil them only way I know of doing it is: first convert the pictures to Gif
>format.  Second use AFX in the Mac system folder to transfer them to a Prodos
>disk. Third read them with SHRconvert. So simple even a child prod.. ummm
>progdi... umm,, oh well you know what I mean. 8-)....
>
>I hope this works.
>
>Robert Brown
>RXBROWN@UALR
>ALPE: ROBPHD

Actually, any child could do it.  It would take a smarter than average
adult though..
I also think SHRConvert can read Macpaint pix directly.  In that case, though,
you still have the disk format problem.  Mac PICT files must be converted
to GIF first, like you pointed out.

--
DISCLAIMER:  Not only does the University not share my opinions,
	     they don't want me sharing my opinions.