[comp.sys.apple] Gif Pictures

CHRIS@BROWNVM.BITNET (Christopher Chung) (05/06/88)

    Does the gif program also work with pictures that are on mac diskettes?
How would I have to transfer the files over to preserve the format

Chris

mcgurrin@MITRE.ARPA (05/07/88)

I don't know how to let a GS read a Mac disk, but if you have access to a Mac,
the Apple File Exchange utility will read Mac files and write to a ProDOS
disk.  I have used this to transfer MacPaint files over, then use SHRConvert
to read, display, and convert to GS format.  Good results, but interesting.
Since the vertical resolution is lower on the GS, but more colors (it's
hard to have fewer colors than black and white), SHRConvert apparently
averages the values of Mac pixels, since the resulting 640 mode picture on
the GS had black, white, and 2 shades of grey.

arenberg@trwrb.UUCP (Jeff Arenberg) (05/07/88)

In article <8805052332.aa11313@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> CHRIS@BROWNVM.BITNET
(Christopher Chung) writes:

>    Does the gif program also work with pictures that are on mac diskettes?
>How would I have to transfer the files over to preserve the format
>
>Chris

Yes, the GIF pictures can be viewed on either machine.  The best way to
transfer the files is to use the Apple File Transfer program on a mac and
write a prodos 3.5" disk.  Use the default translation.  If you don't have
a 3.5" drive then you need to use some communication package to transfer
the Data Fork of the GIF file to the Apple.  Once there you need to strip
off the first 128 (?) bytes.  The GIF file should begin with the characters
'GIF87a'.  Save the results to a binary file.

Jeff Arenberg
UUCP : ( ucbvax, ihnp4, uscvax ) !trwrb!trwcsed!arenberg
ARPA : jarenberg@ecla.usc.edu
GEnie: shifty

taro@uhccux.UUCP (Taro Nobusawa) (05/07/88)

In article <8805052332.aa11313@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> CHRIS@BROWNVM.BITNET (Christopher Chung) writes:
>    Does the gif program also work with pictures that are on mac diskettes?
>How would I have to transfer the files over to preserve the format
>
>Chris

I believe SHRConvert can convert Mac format (MacPaint, I think) but I haven't
tried it out yet.  The easiest way to transfer would probably be through a
modem, but I just got a program that's supposed to allow the GS to read 400K
Mac disks.  Using this, it seems it would be possible to directly read off the
Mac disk and transfer to a GS disk.  I haven't tested out this program yet, so
I can't say if it'll work (BTW, I got it from the Listserv not to long ago.
I find I can't send request at night, my thought is that maybe they shut down
their machine at night.  When I send a request in the morning, it's a matter of
a few minutes before I get a reply)

___
|N|
Mac disks, so it might be possible to use this and directly read the Mac disk
--
"Mad as a hen wetter...goodbye and good day.   THPPT" -Opus
Taro Nobusawa  		taro@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

msimmond@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Mark) (04/26/89)

There has been a lot of postings about GIF pictures lately I just thought that
I would post about a site that has all kinds of GIF pictures stored in binary
format so you can download them to any computer. The anonymous site is
192.5.219.1 the files are in binary format so when ftp type binary before
gettiing the files and don't forget to set kermit to bianry also. The files
are in directories according to the number of colors.

Mark Simmonds
msimmond@ub.d.umn.edu