[comp.sys.apple] ModemWorks and Instant Pascal questions

Jerry.Kindall@f10.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jerry Kindall) (04/22/89)

There are a couple of shareware BBS's based on ModemWorks.  One is SBBS (Sonic BBS) by Patrick Sonnek; it's available on GEnie and AppleLink.  It is serviceable but it'll probably take a little work before you get things the way you want them.  SBBS is shareware and costs around $60 or $70.

The other one is a recent (freeware) release by Kevin D'Haeze called AppleNet.  Despite the title, the current version does not support any kind of networking.  It is, however, a HECK of a lot nicer than SBBS, and it costs much less, too.  I just downloaded it from GEnie, so I'm not
exactly sure how well it works, but the documentation makes it look much nicer than SBBS.
- Jerry Kindall

Email to: crash!pnet01!pro-beagle!jerryk  or  jerryk@pro-beagle.cts.com

--
Jerry Kindall  via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP:  ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!10!Jerry.Kindall

aragorn@blake.acs.washington.edu (Michael Owen) (04/25/89)

In article <12087.24519505@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Jerry.Kindall@f10.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jerry Kindall) writes:

>The other one is a recent (freeware) release by Kevin D'Haeze called AppleNet.  Despite the title, the current version does not support any kind of networking.  It is, however, a HECK of a lot nicer than SBBS, and it costs much less, too.  I just downloaded it from GEnie, so I'm not
>exactly sure how well it works, but the documentation makes it look much nicer than SBBS.

Could you (or someone else) please post AppleNet to comp.binaries.apple2?
Thanks in advance...

I've found out about three Shareware/Freeware BBSs written with ModemWorks --
what about actual boards that are running under these different packages?  I'm
very interested in finding out, as Starfleet HQ (see my sig) is the only one
I've seen.  If people could leave me e-mail with any numbers, the I could
compile the results (after verifying) and post them as an organized list.  What
about it?  ProLine boards are a unified group in many ways--I'd like to see the
'other' ModemWorks-based boards do the same.  We could find out what shortcuts
and programming tricks we've used to get things done, and even write utilities
as a group--a standard networking protocol?

Please take the time to e-mail me with any thoughts on this.  Thanks.

>Jerry Kindall  via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
>UUCP:  ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!10!Jerry.Kindall

       />    The Broken Blade           Aragorn III (Michael Owen)
      /< ________ ______________        aragorn@blake.acs.washington.edu
C=====[*>_______/|______________>       Starfleet HQ: (206) 783-5589
      \<                                3/12/24 8N1 24 hrs - A ModemWorks BBS

Jerry.Kindall@f10.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jerry Kindall) (04/27/89)

I COULD post AppleNET to the net, but it'd be a major pain in the @$$
since in order to do that, I have to fight through the PC Pursuit system
to call Pro-Beagle in San Diego (I'm in Ohio).  And still have too much
line noise to get a successful upload.  Anyway, anyone else who has
AppleNET (it can be d/l'ed from GEnie and various other places) feel free
to post it, as I can't.

- Jerry