[comp.sys.apple] My Apple is DEAD!

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (04/22/89)

In article <23317@agate.BERKELEY.EDU}, laba-1hi@e260-2g.berkeley.edu (Mikey) writes:
}
} I've had a problem with my Apple //e that has gotten progressively worse.
} Sometimes, when I turn on the power, all I hear is a low clicking sound, and
} the power light on the keyboard remains dark. I used to think that the culprit
} was a bad connection somewhere, so I just shut down and retried again. It
} always worked the 2nd or 3rd time.
}
} Until now. Now, all I get is that mysterious buzzing/clicking sound. Also,
} I noticed that the LED on the motherboard as well as the LED's on my Disk II's
} (yes, I have antique disk drives) flicker as I hear this buzzing. Also, when
} I shut off power, the motherboard LED just flickers and fades to black instead
} of a crisp shutoff.
}
} I suspect my power supply, but I'm not sure. Can anyone diagnose these
} problems and help me out? The life of my //e is crucial since I run a BBS on
} it. Thanks!
} --------------------------------------------------------------------------
} I'd appreciate it if you could reply via EMAIL. I'm not able to access the
} net that often. Thanks a lot!!
} laba-1hi@web.berkeley.edu............................................Mikey
} *** Call Tanelorn III! (415) 540-1180. The Apple/Mac BBS of Berkeley.  ***

The Power supply in an Apple // is called a switching power supply.  I won't go
into details, but the symptoms you are describing, correspond to shorting cond-
ition on the output of the power supply. (Power supply detects shorted output
and shutsdown, waits a little while and tries restarting. If the output is still
shorted it shutsdown again. This cycle continues until the short is removed.)

You described your Disk ][ as still being attached. As with any troubleshooting
of this type, remove the cards from all slots. If the problem is still present,
you've got a short on the motherboard. If the problem goes away, test each card
in its slot until the problem reappears.  If you can recreate the problem by
trying one card at a time, and you have a lot of cards, you're drawing to much
power from your power supply, get a heavier one (they are available).

Hope this helps.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                         |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447 |        "Wisconsin   Escapee"

jla@hogbbs.Fidonet.Org (Slartibartfast) (04/27/89)

-> Until now. Now, all I get is that mysterious
-> buzzing/clicking sound. Also,
-> I noticed that the LED on the motherboard as well as the
-> LED's on my Disk II's
An apple //e at my high school had the same problem.  We replaced the Power
Supply and every thing was fine.  Although as matther@sunpix said, you
should check the cards first before you go out and replace the PS.  Now I
have a question about Apple PS's.  I run (actually used to) a BBS.  I left
my computer on straight for about 2 years (you got it.  NO down time!!!)
and now i have this problem when the power goes out I have to play for
approx. 30 mins. to an hour to get the thing to turn on.  It doesn't seem
to be a switch problem, but an internal problem with the PS.  Can anyone
shed any light on my problem (short of buying a new Supply).

                Thanks,
                        Jim Anderson
--- QuickBBS v2.03
 * Origin: The Heart of Gold - hogbbs.fidonet.org - (1:129/87)
--
Fidonet : 1:263/42    Jim Anderson    |
UUCP    : ..psuvax1!psuhcx!hogbbs!jla |       This Space