[comp.sys.apple] Apple Hard Drives

sun@pro-nebulous.UUCP (Sun D*ct*r) (04/13/89)

Phil Lindberg writes:
[I] can't justify $800-$900 for for what IBM clones get for under $400.

- - - -
Have you seen the most recent copy of A+ magazine?  They have an article on
"home-brew" hard drives that get those inexpensive drives for the IBM world
to work on Apples.  Check it out; it might interest you.

Dan Jones

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (04/18/89)

From article <8904150958.AA13039@crash.cts.com>, by sun@pro-nebulous.UUCP (Sun D*ct*r):
>> Phil Lindberg writes:
>> [I] can't justify $800-$900 for for what IBM clones get for under $400.
>>
> - - - -
> Have you seen the most recent copy of A+ magazine?  They have an article on
> "home-brew" hard drives that get those inexpensive drives for the IBM world
> to work on Apples.  Check it out; it might interest you.
>
> Dan Jones

Yes I have seen the article.  However, note the price they quote for their
"home-brew" drive. (aprox. $750)  Granted, it was a 60meg. drive (or was it
40 meg.?)....

But, since I wrote that comment I have done some more research.  The $400
drive for the IBM clone is without case, power supply, (ie. internal) and
_not_ a Apple-SCSI I/O drive (which is what I need).  What I have found is
the compatable version of SCSI drives (like for the MAC) are much higher than
the $400 range.
			Sigh....

I'm going to hold my breath and wait for the AE drive and see.... Maybe, if
it does cost an-arm-and-a-leg, I'll be able to convince myself it's worth
it, (besides AE is behind on their TWGS shipping so I'll have to wait for
my TWGS 'til later anyway.)

|	     The Apple //'s will live forever!!		  |
|  Phil Lindberg	    snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| INET: prl3546@tahoma.UUCP		Renton, WA 98056  |
| UUCP: ..!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!prl3546	  |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	  |

jla@hogbbs.Fidonet.Org (Slartibartfast) (04/27/89)

-> But, since I wrote that comment I have done some more
-> research.  The $400
-> drive for the IBM clone is without case, power supply, (ie.
-> internal) and
-> _not_ a Apple-SCSI I/O drive (which is what I need).  What
-> I have found is
-> the compatable version of SCSI drives (like for the MAC)
-> are much higher than
-> the $400 range.
By any chance does anyone know if there is a cable factory made for the
SCSI 50 pin over-under to a 25 pin D-Sub?  I have 2 completely different
plans for that exact cable and decided the heck with it.  I don't feel like
putting that much time and money (well it isn't that much money) to build a
cable that won't work.  Can someone give me a Name, Address, Phone number
of any and all companies that would make such a creature.

        Thanks,
                --Jim
--- QuickBBS v2.03
 * Origin: The Heart of Gold - hogbbs.fidonet.org - (1:129/87)
--
Fidonet : 1:263/42    Jim Anderson    |
UUCP    : ..psuvax1!psuhcx!hogbbs!jla |       This Space