[comp.sys.apple] TML Pascal

THJ@PSUVM.BITNET (William J. Sproule Jr.) (08/21/87)

I would like to any information on anybody using TML Pascal on a IIgs.
I am having problems writing and reading files to a disk, and I feel it is
a problem with the compiler, not my code.  I would like to find someone
else to try and reproduce the error.  Thanx.
                   ===============================

Bill Sproule
Microcomputer Information and Support Center  (MISC)
The Pennsylvania State University
101 Computation Center      =====================================
University Park, PA 16802   |bitnet:   thj@psuvm
(814) 863-4356              |arpa: thj%psuvm.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
                            |uucp: ...psuvax1!psuvm.BITNET!thj
                            |AppleLink: U0399   (Sproule1)

BHUBER@ECLA.USC.EDU (08/24/87)

I use TML Pascal, and have not had any problem reading/writing files.  Can
you be more specific?
Bud

Donnaruma@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (09/10/87)

I am considering buying the bundled package(not APW version) and I would
like some comments from somebody that has it, what the latest version is
and what you think about it.  I would also like to know how close it
follows standard Pascal and Turbo Pascal as well as Apple UCSD Pascal.
I guess my main concern is memory management (heaps and stacks, etc.).
Also I/O is also an important factor.  The reason for all this is I'm
using it for school courses and my present course requires me to write
an assembler in Pascal.  Please post responses on the net or send
directly to me via e-mail.  Thanks in advance.

                                Tony Donnaruma
                                Honeywell Inc.
                                70 Wells ave.
                                Newton, Ma. 02159

spgspros@CLARK-EMH.ARPA (03/21/88)

I just bought TML Pascal for the apple //gs.  Could anyone send me some
sorce code they my have.
                                                  Thanks.......
                                                  .............jimmy
E-mail address
spgspros@clark-emh.arpa

cc@xroads.UUCP (Dan McGuirk) (03/29/88)

In article <8803210914.aa14061@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>, spgspros@CLARK-EMH.ARPA writes:
> I just bought TML Pascal for the apple //gs.  Could anyone send me some
> sorce code they my have.

Me too, please.  I'm interested in talking to anyone who is using this
language..

Dan
ihnp4!crash!xroads!cc
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 \/   (602) 971-2240

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (04/07/88)

> Does anyone have any Public  Domain, source code for TML Pascal for the
> apple//gs....If so could you E-Mail me a copy....

Better yet, how about posting it to APPLE2-L so that even more people
have access to it.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                  (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU            ARPA: jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,  Bethesda, MD 20892

sector@pro-exchange.cts.COM (Roby Sherman) (05/13/88)

Among other problems, I could use a little help.. I'm having trouble writing a
routine to load in a packbytes formatted picture and successfully completing a
PPtoPort to a window with the final drawing. Any/all help would be greatly
appreciated.. My current routine, for some reason, does not load in the
information correctly.. PLEASE!!!! HELP!!!!

This is what I need the procedure specifically to do..

Use P16 calls to load in the packed picture (8/16 Paint), unpack it to a
destination buffer and PPtoPort it to the current GrafPort..

Thanks in advance..

 Roby Sherman

UUCP: [ ihnp4 cbosgd nosc ] !crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-exchange!sector
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-exchange!sector@nosc
INET: sector@pro-exchange.cts.com

oliver@thelink.UUCP (Joel Sumner) (05/28/88)

I have a similar TML problem but it is with the standalone version... For some
reason the "About..." dialog works fine when it is compiled to RAM but it
crashes when it is run after being compiled to disk... The way in which it
crashes is always the same (or at least, for the few times that I have actually
tried it)... The dialog border would come up but no text (or anything for that
matter) would come up in the box.... Does anyone have any ideas for this
problem??? Supposedly, TML Systems was supposed to ship a new version of both
the standalone and the AWP versions in the second week of May (They have been
saying that for 2 months now) but I still have Zip....

Joel Sumner
oliver@thelink.UUCP

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (06/01/88)

> problem??? Supposedly, TML Systems was supposed to ship a new version of both
> the standalone and the AWP versions in the second week of May (They have been
> saying that for 2 months now) but I still have Zip....

I called TML Systems on Friday (May 27th) to ask where my upgrade
was.  They said that they had actually begun shipping on May 13th but
then discovered a problem with the AppleShare package.  Consequently,
they stopped shipping until they could fix the problem.  They claim
to be shipping again (how many times have I heard that before?).  I
told them that I was extremely frustrated by their vaporware
announcements and said that I thought that they did themselves more
damage than good with their grossly optimistic availability dates.  I
hope that others will also express their displeasure.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                  (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU            ARPA: jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,  Bethesda, MD 20892

sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") (03/23/89)

Is TML still marketing pascal for the GS?
Do they have a current (stand alone) version that works with GS/OS?
What about updated tool support?

I've got version 1.0, and if at all possible, I'd like to upgrade  Anyone know
how much this costs?

 -seth                                  sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu
   tHe mAd ScienTisT,
   and other carnations.
I've got CD's - send a CD player!
Unlike Apple, I will reveal future plans - as soon as I know exactly what they
are!?

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (04/19/89)

Someone recently made the following statement in a msg to info apple:
"Stay away from TML Pascal, as it violates several Apple IIGS
conventions and will in the long run produce more trouble than benefit."

Could whoever wrote that expand upon it?

(I don't know where it came from:  for some reason when messages get
posted into a multics forum they lose most of the original headers --
all that's left is the date, subject, and from:  info-apple@brl.mil, not
the original sender.)

>(I don't know where it came from:  for some reason when messages get
>posted into a multics forum they lose most of the original headers --
>all that's left is the date, subject, and from:  info-apple@brl.mil, not
>the original sender.)

Aside from the fact that some gateways mangle headers and produce non-
starters for return addresses, here's another good reason for using a .sig
(or a 'pseudo .sig?').

  (~~~~)        /                                                           \
 ( 0  0 )      | (Prof) Murph Sewall  <Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET>                |
(|   >  |) ___/  Marketing Department <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.Edu> |
 ( \__/ ) <___   School of Business   ...psuvax1!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall       |
  (____)      \_ U. of Connecticut   *standard disclaimer applies*          /
                \__________________________________________________________/

(This .sig "borrowed" from Johnson Earls <Jearls@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu> Thanx!)

jschober@gnh-starport.UUCP (Joey Schober) (04/21/89)

Kent Andrew Dickey <obsolete!phoenix!kadickey%princeton.edu> writes:

>> programming environment (in fact, a bit too much.  A 'standard' Pascal
>> program has its default window to be the SHR screen--which scrolls
>> pitifully slow.  To use text, you must start up the TextTools toolset
>> and deal with it all yourself!).

No, you don't.  You're right on the first count -- the default console I/O
screen is the Super-HiRes screen, with a big window titled "TML Pascal" (with
the most INTERESTING drag-bar color I've ever seen...).  No NDA support or, for
that matter, no menu bar at all.  So it's not exactly the perfect GS user's
environment, either.  But that's beside the point... you can EASILY re-direct
I/O to the REAL 80-column text screen by making one small change in your
program...:
   program YourProgName (INPUT, OUTPUT);
for the header.  The "(INPUT, OUTPUT)" addition moves things to the text
screen.  All read{ln}'s and write{ln}'s work as they normally do, without
modification.

Anyway, I use TML Pascal for small programming for fun... I rather like it!
The editor isn't intolerably slow, and it only infrequently crashes on me.  And
both compilation speed and execution speed are fast enough to keep me happy. :)

If memory serves, Dave Lyons wrote his (neat!) DIcEd (Desktop Icon Editor)
application in TML Pascal... around 3K-4K lines of source, I think.  The
compiled code is a bit on the large side (DICED is around 160 blocks or so...),
and if you've used it, you know that it's both functional and fast.  (Of
course, one big reason for that is that Toolbox access almost completely
manually -- it's closer to assembly language macro expansion than Pascal
program compilation!)  Dave thinks highly of TML Pascal, and coming from HIM,
that's saying a lot.  :)

That's my two cents on the subject.......

     Joseph F. Schober, Sysop, StarPort BBS [703/931-0947 - 3/12/2400 baud]

ProLine.: jschober@gnh-starport                             ===================
UUCP....: crash!gnh-starport!jschober                       AppleLink: JSchober
InterNet: jschober@gnh-starport.cts.com                     C-Serve: 72727,2765
ARPA....: crash!gnh-starport!jschober@nosc.mil              ===================

 * Sent by StarPort BBS at  4/20/89  6:04:26 PM

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (04/29/89)

Someone asked what the latest version of TML Pascal is.  I don't know
what the latest is, but sometime after we bought ours about a year and a
half ago they sent us version 1.50 dated 6/7/88 as an update.  It came
with a lot of new documentation saying what the changes were.  The
impression I have is that it was a combination of bug fixes and
new/changed/bug-fixed toolbox interfaces.