[comp.sys.apple] The Apple ][GS battery

robert_macausland@brains.UUCP (Robert MacAusland) (04/26/89)

Re:The Apple ][GS battery:
  I was wondering why the GS would have the control panel settings backed u p
by a battery and not an EEPROM which I assume wold hold the data longer and
wouldn't need to be replaced...
--
   -===------===-    From Robert Macausland at:
  -==-==----==-==-   Cerebral Cortex BBS

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (04/28/89)

In article <4473@brains.UUCP> robert_macausland%brains@iisat.UUCP writes:
>Re:The Apple ][GS battery:
>  I was wondering why the GS would have the control panel settings backed u p
>by a battery and not an EEPROM which I assume wold hold the data longer and
>wouldn't need to be replaced...

	I'm not sure, but I think that it is cheaper to use a battery.

Cary Farrier

| This message does in no way reflect the views or opinions of   |
| any organization.  In fact, they illustrate just how           |
| disorganized things really are.                                |

KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") (04/29/89)

>  I was wondering why the GS would have the control panel settings backed u p
>by a battery and not an EEPROM which I assume wold hold the data longer and
>wouldn't need to be replaced...

If they did that, they couldn't charge you an arm and a leg to replace the
battery, now, could they?

# include <std.disclaimer>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                               ___    ____               ____     ____   _
                              |   \   |   \     /\      /    \   /    \  |\   |
GreyMan ---->  and the  <---- |    \  |___/    /  \     |  ___   |    |  | \  |
/     \                       |    /  |  \    /====\    |     |  |    |  |  \ |
                              |___/   |   \  /      \   \____/|  \____/  |   \|

Kurt Miles                           ..... remember, sometimes the DRAGON wins!
KMILES@USU (on bitnet)                                             ------
SLT6X@USU (bitnet)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (04/30/89)

In article <4473@brains.UUCP> robert_macausland%brains@iisat.UUCP writes:
>Re:The Apple ][GS battery:
>  I was wondering why the GS would have the control panel settings backed u p
>by a battery and not an EEPROM which I assume wold hold the data longer and
>wouldn't need to be replaced...

Well, for one thing, EEPROMs take a *long* time to write to - upwards
of 100 milliseconds or so. Compare that to the 150 nanoseconds it
takes to write to RAM. The computer would have to come to a complete
halt (well, almost) just to change the control panel.

The BIG loss with EEPROMs is they can only write a hundred or so
times. Then they go on the fritz. If you're the type who sets his
machine and that's it, then EEPROMs wouldn't be a bad idea. But it
would be costly for those who like to change things all the time as
they'd have to change the chips every now and then.
Dave Whitney	A junior in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link & BinSCII. Send me bug reports. I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (05/01/89)

In article <4473@brains.UUCP|, Robert MacAusland writes:
| Re:The Apple ][GS battery:
|   I was wondering why the GS would have the control panel settings backed up
| by a battery and not an EEPROM which I assume wold hold the data longer and
| wouldn't need to be replaced...
| --

EEPROMS generally have a slo-o-w-w write time, and relatively small rewrite
capability.  You'd probably have to replace a EEPROM before you'd have to
replace the current //gs battery.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                         |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447 |        "Wisconsin   Escapee"