[comp.sys.apple] //e to //gs upgrade

LWELCH@COLGATEU.BITNET (05/01/89)

From:   EDU%"sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU"      "Seth D. Kadesh" 30-APR-1989 20:25:49.01
Re: Subj:       Give 'em all a GS!

> out there!!??!  If Apple had pushed harder for the IIe -> GS
>conversion kit, it might have sold more.  This isn't even considering
>the IIs and II+s, or the IIcs.
-------------

Apple did produce a //e to //GS conversion kit.  And it works (though you may
need to get an entirely new case).  The problem is that it costs $500 plus
labor.  Since you don't get a mouse with this (an ADB mouse costs about $100)
and you don't get the 256K memory either, it makes a lot more sense cost-wise
to keep your //e and buy a whole new //GS package (especially if you want an
RGB monitor too).  I'm probably one of the few people with an upgraded //e.
The only nice thing about it is that the upgraded //gs has the sturdy //e case
and the old keyboard.  (You do lose the keypad though).

|  Chip Welch                                "Apple ][ Forever!"             |
|  Chipmunk Computer Systems                                                 |
|  CU Box L3058                         BITNET:  LWELCH@COLGATEU.BITNET      |
|  Hamilton, NY 13346                   GEnie:   C.WELCH3                    |