[comp.sys.apple] broken key & dual joysticks

berger@cis.ohio-state.edu (herbert c berger) (05/01/89)

I have a couple questions for you apple experts. I have 2 problems. The first
problem is that one of my keys (the character "u") is broken.  I don't know
how it can be fixed, since I have an apple IIe and the keyboard is built into
the computer.  Can it be fixed easily or will it cost me a fortune? Please send
me your suggestions.

Also I would like to hook up 2 joysticks to my computer but as most of you know
the IIe only has one port.  The question is: Is there a joystick splicer that
will work and approximately how much will it cost.

All replies are appreciated.  Please send me e-mail at

     berger@cis.ohio-state.edu

Thanks.

----   Herb

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (05/01/89)

In article <45911@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> berger@cis.ohio-state.edu
(herbert c berger) writes:
>I have a couple questions for you apple experts. I have 2 problems. The first
>problem is that one of my keys (the character "u") is broken.  I don't know
>how it can be fixed, since I have an apple IIe and the keyboard is built into
>the computer.  Can it be fixed easily or will it cost me a fortune? Please send
>me your suggestions.

Are you using a System Saver fan?  Even if you're not this could be your
problem--dust has collected in your keyboard and is causing the key to
malfunction.  This used to happen to me regularly every 3-4 months on my
//e with a System Saver fan.  The solution--remove the keycaps of the
key that's malfunctioning and some of those around it, and use some kind
of dust spray (I used Dust-Off) to blow the dust out.

Otherwise, if this doesn't work, or if you know the key is physically
broken, I think you can buy the actual key switch from some mail-order
places (check A+, InCider, etc).  I've never tried to take the actual
key switch out--it may not be very easy to change it.

			Kent Dickey
kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.Edu
kadickey@PUCC.bitnet

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (05/01/89)

In article <45911@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> berger@cis.ohio-state.edu (herbert c berger) writes:
>one of my keys (the character "u") is broken.

I once broke an Apple //e key (at the shank) and after futile attempts to
glue it back together, removed the keyboard assembly, unsoldered the key
switch involved (use a solder sucker), removed the broken switch, and
replaced it with a new one I obtained over the counter at an Apple
dealer's repair facility.  It wasn't hard if you've done this kind of
work before.

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (05/01/89)

In article <45911@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, berger@cis.ohio-state.edu (herbert c berger) writes:
| I have a couple questions for you apple experts. I have 2 problems. The first
| problem is that one of my keys (the character "u") is broken.  I don't know
| how it can be fixed, since I have an apple IIe and the keyboard is built into
| the computer.  Can it be fixed easily or will it cost me a fortune? Please send
| me your suggestions.

You don't say in what manner your 'U' key is broken.  I'm assuming physical damage
to the key stem itself (the most common physical damage to the keyboard).  There
are two ways to fix this. One requires the use of soldering iron, the other
probably cost more money.

The simplest way is to replace the entire keyboard. This simply requires the
purchasing of a new keyboard, disassembling of the computer (a simple procedure
only requiring a phillips screwdriver), removing the old keyboard from the upper
chassis, and installing the new an reassembling the case in reverse order of its
disassembly.

If your electronically inclined, the cheapest way is to replace only the broken
key.  This would also require the disassembly of your computer, an when you have
free access to the back of the keyboards circuit board, wimply desolder the
metal tabs of the broken key, and remove the broken key.  You now need to aquire
a substitute for the broken key, and reinstall it the way it came out.  If you
need to get your computer up and running quickly, simply swap a rarely used
key (like the [~`] keyswitch for the one that is broken).

| Also I would like to hook up 2 joysticks to my computer but as most of you know
| the IIe only has one port.  The question is: Is there a joystick splicer that
| will work and approximately how much will it cost.

Are you saying that you want to run two joysticks at the same time?  You'll need
to make an adapter to bring the signals from the internal DIP-16 game connector
out to a pair of DB-9's you can hook your joysticks on to.
--
Matthew Lee Stier                         |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447 |        "Wisconsin   Escapee"