[comp.sys.apple] aerodynamic mice

MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET (05/02/89)

APPLE HAS KILLED THE MOUSE!

I just got 5 IIGS computers, and 1 ugh..SE.  All of them had this piece of
lightweight plastic with a black ball inside of them that seemed to be created
from a new and improved hollow, black, lightweight, indestructable, chemical
derivative, of the old mouse ball.  The things that were
masquerading as mice.seem to be a new idea in how to control the mouse.

Here is my theory:
If your hand gets tired of moving the mouse, you just set the mouse down, and
blow lightly in the direction of the mouse to move it.  I heard R&D spent years
finding the correct aerodynamic shape so the pressure differential from a light
wind will allow for backwards movement, forward movement, as well as side to
side movement.

Anyone else notice that the "new" mouse will move just by the weight of its
tail?  If the current mice are what is to come from Apple Computer, a new
input device will need to be created quickly!

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (05/02/89)

In article <8905012334.aa04101@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET writes:
>APPLE HAS KILLED THE MOUSE!
>
>I just got 5 IIGS computers, and 1 ugh..SE.  All of them had this piece of
>lightweight plastic with a black ball inside of them that seemed to be created
>from a new and improved hollow, black, lightweight, indestructable, chemical
>derivative, of the old mouse ball.  The things that were
>masquerading as mice.seem to be a new idea in how to control the mouse.

Ummm...your post was about how light the mice are--my point is how
USELESS these mice become:  The ball inside of the mouse is so light,
that often, the ball won't spin!  Not everyone has the space for mouse
pads, so this is definitely a problem for me.  It is really annoying to
slide the mouse half-way across my desk, and yet have the cursor move
only a few pixels.  The SE's now seem to have the same 'sleek' mouse,
but with a bigger, heavier ball in them...is this what they are still
making (or do they all have this light-weight mouse)?

			Kent Dickey
kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.Edu
kadickey@PUCC

MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET (05/02/89)

>only a few pixels.  The SE's now seem to have the same 'sleek' mouse,
>but with a bigger, heavier ball in them...is this what they are still
>making (or do they all have this light-weight mouse)?

Ah..but the SE has the same lightweight useless Ball.  Glad its under warranty.
Im going to ship all the mice to my dealer and say they dont work.  Let them
deal with that.  These computers have till Fall to be used, so I have all
summer to ship the crummy mice back to my dealer!  Ha ha ha....
Apple's going to love the dead mice!

Scott Hutinger   mser001@ecncdc.bitnet

p.s.  Everytime I get the new mice, I am going to say "Sorry, these dont work!"

MJB8718@RITVAX.BITNET (05/03/89)

        The simple solution to the 'light mouse' problem is the
Kensington Turbo Mouse.  I did not so much as even unpack the standard mouse
that came with my //GS (its still in the original box somewhere in the
basement).  Although it is a little expensive (approx. $120), it requires
only the deskspace it sits on and you can configure it for right or left handed
   use.  It also has an additional ADB port on it.
        The Turbo mouse, along with the System Saver, are the two best
enhancements I've made to my //GS.

                                                Mike
                                Bitnet:         MJB8718@RITVAX
                                GeNIE:          M.BURZINSKI

rdlanctot@instr.okanagan.bc.ca (Ryan Lanctot) (05/04/89)

Does the fact the just blowing on the mouse scare you? Just think what would
happen if you hiccupped!  They could change the old joke from mommy, I
swallowed my toothbrush to mommy, I inhaled my Apple mouse. :)

Ryan Lanctot
<rdlanctot@instr.okanagan.bc.ca>
or try
<rdlanctot@instr.okanagan.bcc.cdn>

Quote: -> "
Quote: "I'm not usually this weird, But since I am, I'm going to make
        The most of it."

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (05/04/89)

In article <8905012334.aa04101@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET writes:
>APPLE HAS KILLED THE MOUSE!
>
>I just got 5 IIGS computers, and 1 ugh..SE.  All of them had this piece of
>lightweight plastic with a black ball inside of them that seemed to be created
>from a new and improved hollow, black, lightweight, indestructable, chemical
>derivative, of the old mouse ball.  The things that were
>masquerading as mice.seem to be a new idea in how to control the mouse.

Apple actually did this some time ago. My group at work bought a few
Mac IIs a while back, and they all had the "new and improved" mouse.
What struck me was the old mice were made here in the USA (see the
underside of any one). The new mice are made in Korea or Tiawan (I
forget which).

Personally, I can't stand the new mice. If you hold it just right, the
ball magically lifts off the work surface, and sliding the mouse does
nothing to the poitner. Also, because they have almost no weight, they
don't quite feel as satisfying.

Now the big question: since the new mice probably cost Apple about one
tenth of what they used to cost, will that cost reduction be forwarded
to the consumers? I think not.

Dave Whitney	A junior in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link & BinSCII. Send me bug reports. I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."