[comp.sys.apple] AppleFest preview

bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.COM (Bob Sherman) (08/27/88)

Well, Applefest will be here in a few short weeks at the San Francisco Civic
Center, and what will we get for the time and expense to get to it?

Well, for one thing, there will be celebrities of the Apple world such as
John Sculley, Steve Wozniak, Barney Stone, & Tom Snyder to name a few... But
then there will be new goodies for our Apples, such as two new Time-Out
programs for Appleworks from Beagle Bros, Spreadtools and Macrotools II, but
wait, they are also going to show two new utilities such as GS Font Editor,
and Program Writer, which will allow you to edit basic programs just like you
do an Appleworks file. It sure looks like Alan Bird, Randy Brandt and Mark
Simonsen have been burning the midnight oil.

Dive Bomber, Art & Film Director, and The Games-Summer Edition will headline
the Exyx new products.  WordPerfect will show their GS upgrade version 2.1
which they claim is easier to use. ..  Graphic Writer 3.0 is the first GS
desktop publishing venture from Seven Hill Software, and will use the Mac
like interface.... Spectrum Holobyte will unveil the hottest computer program
in the Soviet Union, TETRIS. Written by two Soviet programmers, this program
is described as "devastatingly addictive".  From the other end of the world,
they will have the Japanese mind teaser SOKO-BAN, which has already sold over
400,000 copies in it's homeland.

>From Thirdware comes the Fingerprint GSI card, that allows a GS graphics
image to be printed as large as 130 FEET wide by 100 FEET high, that's
billboard size folks..... Applied Engineering will show the latest version of
their TransWarp GS accelerator, which they hope to begin shipping later this
year for less than $400. They will also show their new stereo digitizer
"Sonic Blaster",  and "Audio Animator", which also has a MIDI interface that
controls upto 16 instruments at once.... Springboard claims their new version
2.0 of Springboard Publisher contains many speed enhancements, and now
contains Laser support, and improved installation procedures....

You get to take on the legendary Al Capone for control of Chicago in the new
Cinemaware presentation of "The King of Chicago", which requires at least
768k of free ram..... And oh yes, the Zip Chip folks will be there with real
Zip Chips to show.... Broderbund Software will be offering 7 programs for the
new APPLE IIc PLUS... oops, did I make a slip of the keyboard???? Stone Edge
will have the finished version of the very powerful DB MASTER PROFESSIONAL
that works on the full Apple series.

In Addition, Apple will make a special product announcement during the speech
by John Sculley on opening day..... Educators will be pleased with the large
assortment of new Educational software from various vendors... and for the
Mac user, there will also be a few new trinkets..

All of the above and much more make me think that my 3,000 mile trip from
Florida will be worthwhile.

Copyright 1988 by Bob Sherman / Miami's Big Apple  305-948-8000

The above is posted as NEWS for INFORMATIONAL purposes only. I have no
commercial interest in any of the items or products mentioned..

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!bsherman
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!bsherman@nosc.mil
INET: bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.com

awillis@pro-angmar.UUCP (Albert Willis) (05/02/89)

I would like to propose that anyone who reads this newsfeed that is going to be at

AppleFest can meet at The Boston Computer Society booth. The booth will be
next to Apple, so you can't miss it. It's also very large. Since this seems
to be an extension of a user group, and the BCS is the largest user group
around, that location seems appropriate. Drop by and say hello.

Preview:

Some things I think you can look forward to:

ORCA C from The ByteWorks          Finally, the IIgs gets a REAL C compiler.

HyperStudio from Roger Wagner      This becomes non-vaporware at the show.
(similar to HyperCard on the Mac)

System Software 4.x                A HFS (Mac) FST? A MS-DOS FST for GS/OS?
                                   SCSI driver bug fix? A driver for the
                                   Apple FDHD drive? (See below.)

AppleWorks 3.0                     An update of classic AppleWorks w/
                                   spell checker and some other stuff.

New TimeOut stuff                  Beagle Bros. is always good for announcing
                                   good, new stuff

HyperCard GS                       If not May, then sometime this summer.

Video Overlay Card                 Not new, but most people haven't seen one
                                   in action yet. Should be software by
                                   3rd parties to take advantage of it.

GS/OS Reference                    Hopefully, the Addison-Wesley edition of
                                   the GS/OS manuals should be ready. They've
                                   been in draft since September's AppleFest,
                                   so it's about time.

Question: Is anyone from Apple II DTS going to be there? Matt? Keith? Dave?
Are you guys going to run some tech conference or something?

Finally, I have a question: Apple announced that the external FDHD drive is
now available. Will it work on the IIgs? I've attached some info I got from
AppleLink. Notice the absence of IIgs info.

FDHD EXTERNAL DRIVE PRODUCT UPDATE

Dateline:  WASHINGTON, D.C.--April 26, 1989.

Product Description:

External 1.4MB disk drive for the Macintosh IIcx and SE/30
personal computers.

Significance:

The Apple FDHD External Drive allows Macintosh computer users
to take advantage of the FDHD improved capabilities to format,
read and write Macintosh 400K, 800K and the new 1.4MB disks, as
well as MS-DOS, OS/2 (720K or 1.44MB) and 800K ProDOS disks
using Apple File Exchange 1.1 or greater.

Available:  Immediately (domestic only, international at the end
of June).

Price:  The suggested retail price for the Apple FDHD External
Drive is priced at $629.

Distribution Channels:  All certified Apple resellers.

Contact:

Cindy McCaffrey
Product Publicity, Public Relations
(408) 974-1578

Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh and ProDOS are registered
trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.  FDHD is a trademark of Apple
Computer, Inc.

Albert Willis

obsolete!pro-angmar!awillis@bloom-beacon.mit.edu | AppleLink PE:  BCS Al
obsolete!pro-angmar!awillis@bu-it.bu.edu         | BCS Apple Connection:
pro-angmar!awillis@obsolete.uucp                 | 617/ 893-5681  [Al]

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (05/02/89)

For those of you who don't already know it, Claris will be joining all those
other software companies who will be missing from this AppleFest.  Personally,
I think this is a mistake, but I'm not the one who gets to make the decisions
around here.

--
Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (05/02/89)

1. Those HDFD or what ever they are called require a different controller than
the IIgs uses.  The IIgs uses the same controller as Mac Plus and MAc SE -
note that they too cannot use the new drives!

2. I have heard references to the new disk as System Disk 5.0.  There
are rumors of very impressive improvments - I doubt that they will match
a Transwarp GS, but...

3. I heard on ALPE that there is a bug in the TWGS rom code.  One of the
routines use the wrong type of return and if that call is made, it causes
the card to crash. I dont have the specifics right now.  Also, AE cannote
get the 7 mhz from WD  so is shipping 6.25 mhz cards with the option of a
later chip upgrade or a $40 discount on a later AE purchase.  They also
are working hard to resolve the problem of the short cable from cpu socket
to slot 3 - once they figure out a way to get a longer cable to
work within specifications, TWGS can go into other slots.

--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (05/02/89)

awillis@pro-angmar.UUCP (Albert Willis) writes:
>Price:  The suggested retail price for the Apple FDHD External
>Drive is priced at $629.

Oh my.  I hope the price comes down quite a bit.  I guess I just didn't expect
that, what with being used to prices under $150 for 1.44 megabyte 3.5" drives
for the IBM PC's.  (I know, Clones and all.  But it still surprises me.)

UUCP: {uunet!rosevax, amdahl!bungia, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

In article <8905011759.AA08361@obsolete.UUCP> awillis@pro-angmar.UUCP (Albert Willis) writes:
>Question: Is anyone from Apple II DTS going to be there? Matt? Keith? Dave?
>Are you guys going to run some tech conference or something?

Here's a quote from "Apple Viewpoints":

"Apple II DTS will host a 'debug room' at AppleFest to assist with programming
questions, so bring your software problems on floppy disks to do some
bug-busting with the Apple team.  Engineers with APW (tm) and MPW IIgs (tm)
setups will be available in the Charles River One room Friday and Saturday from
4:00-6:00 and Sunday from 10:00-11:30.

"Apple II DTS folks will also be available to answer technical questions in
Apple's New Products Showcase, the APDA booth, and the noon Q&A sessions each
day.

"At the Apple Worldwide Developers' Conference, a debug room for Apple II/IIgs
and Macintosh developers will be open from 3:00-7:00 PM every day except
Tuesday.  Apple II DTS will also give programming and debugging demonstrations
on Tuesday in the 'DTS Room' at the convention center, and will participate
in the Apple II/IIgs technical sessions held Tuesday through Friday."

Some notes:

The entire DTS team will be present:  Rilla Reynolds, Dan Strnad, Matt
Deatherage, Eric Soldan, Llew Roberts, Jim Luther and Dave Lyons.

If the room gets so crowded that we can't breathe, I *imagine* that preference
will have to go to Apple Partners, but I really don't imagine it will be that
crowded.  So this means you - bring your stuff and let us look at it.

Because of the Fest and the conference, DTS will not be taking e-mails from
this Thursday (5/4) until Monday, May 15th.  Questions received during Apple II
DTS down time will be answered when we reopen.  (This is different from Mac
DTS, which is already closed and will not accept any e-mail questions for later
answer during this period.)

So come on by and let us see what you've been up to, and we'll do the same.

>Albert Willis
>
>obsolete!pro-angmar!awillis@bloom-beacon.mit.edu | AppleLink PE:  BCS Al
>obsolete!pro-angmar!awillis@bu-it.bu.edu         | BCS Apple Connection:
>pro-angmar!awillis@obsolete.uucp                 | 617/ 893-5681  [Al]

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/03/89)

In article <1058@orbit.UUCP> shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) writes:
>awillis@pro-angmar.UUCP (Albert Willis) writes:
>>Price:  The suggested retail price for the Apple FDHD External
>>Drive is priced at $629.
>
>Oh my.  I hope the price comes down quite a bit.  I guess I just didn't expect
>that, what with being used to prices under $150 for 1.44 megabyte 3.5" drives
>for the IBM PC's.  (I know, Clones and all.  But it still surprises me.)

I don't know diddly about what those IBM things do, but 'amember that the
Apple Drive's gotta be able to read and write in both MFM and MGCR formats.
Also, they gotta read 800K and 400K disks as well.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (05/03/89)

>For those of you who don't already know it, Claris will be joining all those
>other software companies who will be missing from this AppleFest.  Personally,
>I think this is a mistake, but I'm not the one who gets to make the decisions
>around here.
>
>--
>Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
>Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
>ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
>wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or dead.

Are there people at Claris and Apple that we can complain to
from Bitnet?  Any consumer complaint departments on Applelink,
for example?

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
University of Connecticut  | ...psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
32 Hillside Avenue         |
Waterbury, CT 06710        | Compu$erve  71545,1500
(203) 757-1231             | GEnie       ah.stein

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (05/03/89)

In article <30018@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>In article <1058@orbit.UUCP> shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) writes:
>>awillis@pro-angmar.UUCP (Albert Willis) writes:
>>>Price:  The suggested retail price for the Apple FDHD External
>>>Drive is priced at $629.
>>
>>Oh my.  I hope the price comes down quite a bit.  I guess I just didn't expect
>>that, what with being used to prices under $150 for 1.44 megabyte 3.5" drives
>>for the IBM PC's.  (I know, Clones and all.  But it still surprises me.)
>
>I don't know diddly about what those IBM things do, but 'amember that the
>Apple Drive's gotta be able to read and write in both MFM and MGCR formats.
>Also, they gotta read 800K and 400K disks as well.

For $629, you can get a complete 40Meg hard disk drive system!  Does MFM and
MGCR encoding require different kinds of drive heads?  I thought you just
needed a handful of electronics.  I believe that the IBM drives are also
backward compatible with the 720K format.  However, the $150 price probably
doesn't include the drive interface.

The $479 price difference is amazing.  I am amazed at my $300 Apple 5.25" with
the cheesy disk eject mechanism.  Why so much?

Can a hardware guru explain to me what is different about the IIGS drives from
Mac drives?  Does the Apple 3.5 have hardware to handle both machines, or are
the interfaces compatible?  What prevents us from using a Mac third-party
drive (with eject button) on the GS?

Dave Seah (dseah@wpi.wpi.edu, dseah@wpi.bitnet);

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (05/04/89)

In article <8905031837.aa28147@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) writes:

> Are there people at Claris and Apple that we can complain to
> from Bitnet?  Any consumer complaint departments on Applelink,
> for example?

What follows is a hybrid message containing a list of addresses for various
Apple organizations.  You can send electronic mail messages to these locations
by sending mail to:

xxxx@applelink.apple.com

where the 'xxxx' is replace by the AppleLink address that is listed with the
information below.  However, if you have a complaint, make it in writing, not
by e-mail.  Several people have pointed out before that if you do not make
your complaint in writing you will lose certain consumer rights.  Also, keep
copies of any letters that you send.  You may also want to consider sending
the letter by registered mail.
    Thanks to David Lyons and Mark Johnson for providing this information.  As
always, if there are any errors in this document, please let me know.

-Michael

When a Mail Stop is listed, send mail to

  Apple Computer, Inc.
  20525 Mariana, MS xx-x
  Cupertino, CA 95014

APDA: Apple Programmers and Developers Association
    Phone:       800-282-APDA or 800-282-2732
    Fax:         408-562-3971
    Telex:       171-576
    AppleLink:   APDA

Bug Report Center:
    MCI:        Apple.Bugs
    AppleLink:  Apple.Bugs

    The following is suggested by Mark Johnson:
        The BRC handles bugs, but if you have confirmed a bug and want to make
        sure it gets followed up on you can also send to Apple II DTS or
        Mac DTS...

Customer Relations:
    AppleLink:  C.Relations
    Phone:      (408) 973-2222

    (Contact Customer Relations if you have questions regarding Apple
     consumer promotions, updates, and upgrade programs.)

Dealer in your area:
    Phone:      (800) 538-9696

Software Licensing:
    AppleLink:  SW.License
    Phone:      (408) 973-4667

    (Contact the Licensing group for information about getting a license
     for System software and other Apple-proprietary software in order to
     legally ship it with your product.)

Tools and Compilers:
    MCI:        303-6066
    AppleLink:  Dev.Tools

    (Contact the Apple Tools and Compilers group to suggest enhancements
     to Apple development systems.)

Developer Programs:
    Developer Program information can be had with the hotline (408) 974-4897.
    These are not for technical questions, but information about the Partners
    and Associates programs.

Claris Corporation:
    5201 Patrick Henry Drive
    (P.O. Box 58168)
    Santa Clara, CA 95052-8168

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu