[comp.sys.apple] Miscellaneous

schlichting%v70nl.DECnet@NUSC.ARPA ("V70NL::SCHLICHTING") (10/07/87)

Thank you to everyone who sent me information on software for the handicapped.
I am still contacting sources. I can summarize the information I received
if anyone is interested. Is there anyplace I could sent a blank floppy to get
a copy of kermit? I have files on a vax750 (which has kermit) but no way to get
them to my apple IIE. I bought an "apple" snail at my local pet store but I
can't connect the keyboard.... (pet store humor). Thanks for any help.
 Christine Schlichting (Schlichting@NUSC.arpa)
------

DSEAH@WPI.BITNET (04/11/88)

Printer Drivers:
I have a parallel printer for my GS plugged into one of those terrible
ProGrappler cards.  I would like to talk to someone who has found a
way of printing stuff out from MultiScribe and DeluxePaint II or has
preferably found a parallel printer driver.
Incidentally, Music Studio hangs if it finds a printer card in slot 1.

StarFleet I:
When I play in Color mode, any disk access if preceded by an unpleasant
disk drive recalibration.  This is driving me crazy and pissing me off
to no end.  Has anybody else had this problem?

Apple2-L:
Could somebody get in touch with me who has access to Apple 2L?  I have
been trying to get an INDEX to all the files but it has not been working.
We can't receive files here at WPI.  Is that why?  Does Apple 2-L send
files as, "files" or as "mail"?

Apple Computer, Inc:
Don't tell any Mac people I said this, but sometimes I think that Apple
computer would have been better off if the Macintosh had never come
around.  It's a good solid productivity machine, but its PISSING ME OFF
THAT THE APPLE II PAID APPLES WAY AND STILL GETS SHAFTED.  Grrrr.
Maybe they should give the Apple II folks their own company, too.
               Dave Seah --- Worcester Polytechnic Institute
| Bitnet:   DSeah@WPI.Bitnet                    |  We can't receive files! |
| Internet: DSeah%WPI.Bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU    |  EMAIL only!             |

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.COM (Todd South) (04/11/88)

In Article: <8804102240.AA13996@wpi.local> DSEAH%WPI.BITNET (Dave Seah) writes:

> Apple Computer, Inc:
> Don't tell any Mac people I said this, but sometimes I think that Apple
> computer would have been better off if the Macintosh had never come
> around.  It's a good solid productivity machine, but its PISSING ME OFF
> THAT THE APPLE II PAID APPLES WAY AND STILL GETS SHAFTED.  Grrrr.
> Maybe they should give the Apple II folks their own company, too.
>                Dave Seah --- Worcester Polytechnic Institute

I know the feeling, Dave.  Sometimes, I seriously wonder where the people
at Apple get their marketting stragies from.  Sure, they're making money
at the present -- I wonder why.  The //gs sales roared ahead, some
statistics stating that the //gs is easily outselling the Mac on all fronts.
I can't quote exact sources, this is just heresay that I have entertained.
What do we see Apple working on and promoting?  Ethernet cards!!!  We see
thousands of people buying the //gs, but no obvious intentions coming from
Apple or Claris to ever give it near the support that they are pouring into
other things, such as A/UX.  I still can't understand this thing about the
Appletalk network for the Apple ][ family needing a Mac as the fileserver.
It's ridiculous.  I just can't see why they keep hashing this same old damn
dead dog.  The Apple ][ family is NOT capable of competing with the Mac
family because of the limitations that they put into the system.  This is
a fact.  But for all of the support that is poured into the Mac as compared
to the Apple ]['s we STILL see sales of the Apple ][ family supporting the
hell out of the company.  What do said Apple ][ users get for it?  An O/S
that can only access 32 megs; A lanching system that takes three years to
boot up; Drawing tools that take SECONDS! to refresh a screen!; Fileservers
that require OTHER computers to operate; Nil new software from Claris; etc..

Look at our big baby boomer -- Appleworks.  Although I am sure that there are
a number of really good people working for Claris, WHAT are they doing for
Appleworks? (*the second most sold program in the history of computers!*)
Nothing, that anyone I have talked to knows about.  By the way, Claris folks,
I really loved the new box you put Appleworks in; Must have cost a fortune in
research and development. >-|

I sincerely hope that something starts the fires under the butts of both
Apple and Claris to start seeing what they are potentially doing to the
Apple ][ market.  The Amiga 500 is now selling for $699 with one meg of memory,
mouse, and color monitor.  The hardware and multi-tasking O/S beats anything
that Apple is even selling for the Mac people, in my opinion.  How long will
it be before something like this starts taking away all the "solid" Apple ][
people that both Apple and Claris rely upon to pay their bills?

Todd South

 :-----------------------------------------------------------------------:
 | Todd South : Ewa Beach, HI ||| Pacific Proline: (808) 499-2831 2400bd |
 | Uucp: {nosc, ihnp4, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun!ihnp4}        |
 |                 ...!crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth            |
 | ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth@nosc.MIL                 |
 | INET: tsouth@pro-pac.CTS.COM  BITNET: psuvax1!tsouth@pro-pac.CTS.COM  |
 :-----------------------------------------------------------------------:

guest@tree.UUCP (PRAO) (05/04/89)

 Hi.  I'd love BINascii to be posted on the net, v1.0.3 that is.  If anyone
has any news from AppleFest, please post!  I read some stuff on GS/OS v5.0
(have no idea why the version # increases), interesting stuff like AppleTalk
FSTs, new QD II tools, new control panel (NDA), and bit more.  Its no GS+ :)
but maybe it'll save Sculleys butt for a while.

World Of Shareware sounds neat!  Great idea.  Can you submit freeware stuff
to, just to be distributed?  What about actually getting the stuff out?  Would
each member contribute a few $$ to get advertisements, etc?  The new Incider
look is including Shareware connection, wonder if they compensate the original
authors?

greyelf@WPI.WPI.EDU (Michael J Pender) (05/05/89)

WOS is happy to accept freeware for distribution.  Actually the
windows project will probably end up being freeware too.

Mike.

--
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.	I wrote SHELL and Daemon,
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.		send bug reports, suggestions,