[comp.sys.apple] Compressed archives

aash@ms.uky.edu (aash) (05/05/89)

Dave Seah (dseah@wpi.wpi.edu, dseah@wpi.bitnet) writes:
>I am relatively new to the world of UNIX compression/archive programs.  The
>files availiable via anonymous ftp at 128.163.128.6 are compressed somehow.
>I tried downloading kermit.tar.Z.  I ran it through zcat, and it took
>relatively long to finish (6 seconds).  I ended up with a .tar file that was 3
>megabytes long!  Fortunately, quota seems to be off, but I'm sure that our
>system dude wouldn't be pleased.

I checked out this file and when i uncompressed it
it was only 155K or so.  Did you ftp it with a binary
set?  If you need anything and you can't uncompress or
untar it let me know and I will set up a temporary directory
and put stuff there in ascii format.  Good luck.

aash

--
aash
aash@ms.uky.edu  (archive at 128.163.128.6)

gerardo@wpi.wpi.edu (Gerardo Leute) (05/05/89)

Dave Seah (dseah@wpi.wpi.edu, dseah@wpi.bitnet) writes:
{summary: he ftp'ed a .Z file and uncompressed it}
>> I ran it through zcat, and it took

Is there a program for the Apple II series (specifically the IIgs) that will
uncompress the .Z files?  I'd much rather download a compressed file at 1200
baud and then uncompress it on the Apple than having to uncompress it on the
mainframe and download the whole thing (sometimes twice as long).

Help?

--
Gerardo Leute			"Home is where the heart lies,
   gerardo@wpi.bitnet		 but when the heart lies, where is home?"