[comp.sys.apple] broken keys, ROM copyright, COMPUTIST

PGOETZ@LOYVAX.BITNET (05/04/89)

Broken keys:  Well, if you subscribed to COMPUTIST, you would already know
how to replace a keyboard from my "Keyboard Repair" article in their a
few years ago.  I advise getting a keyboard from Radio Shack (I forget the
part #) which costs about $3, & removing its keyswitches.

Many of the questions which come up on Info-Apple have been answered in
COMPUTIST.  I don't understand why any serious Appler would mess around with
Nibble, InCider, A+, and all those other kiddie magazines.  Get COMPUTIST!
Learn assembly!  Save editor Charles Haight from losing his home (which he
put up as collateral on COMPUTIST's debts)!

COMPUTIST
PO Box 110946 (maybe 110846?)
Tacoma WA 98411
(206) 474 5750
$24/1 year, 8 issues

ROM copyrights:  Huh?  I'll never understand you guys.  Who CARES if it's
legal?  I mean, if you're just going to use it yourself & not sell it -
even if you're going to give it away free to a few friends - you're helping
the computing community by providing More Computer Power to the People!
Sometimes laws are just another form of Cybercrud!
[To all those hung-up on legal codes as their only source of morality because
they are too weak-minded to determine themselves whether an action is wrong
or right:  Send all the flames you like to my system manager!  I'm going to
lose this account when I graduate this month anyway!]

Regarding printers:  There's just no question in my mind.  Get the
Epson LQ-500.  I have one, and I LOVE it.  It is fantastic.  It does
everything I want a printer to do - letter-quality 24-pin head, draft mode,
sans serif, double-width, double-height, user-defined characters,
italics, underline, boldface, 3 print sizes, plus tiny midget size,
proportional print, shadow mode, graphics mode, user-defined characters,
subscript, superscript, etc., etc....  Mine cost $320 from Lyco 1 year ago.
I've had no problems with it, except that it suffers from the usual brain-dead
Epson tractor-feed.  Better than earlier Epsons, though; I haven't had any
trouble with paper coming out the printer and circling back into the feed-in
when I'm away, or jamming.

Oh - and, by the way, the Apple is dead.

Phil Goetz
PGOETZ@LOYVAX
If it doesn't kill you, it's good for you.

Have Amnesty International's Urgent Actions mailed direct to your computer!
SEND LISTSERV@JHUVM SUBSCRIBE AMNESTY Your Name

wmapple@BRL.MIL (Info-Apple-Request) (05/04/89)

Phil, Today you wrote:

> ROM copyrights:  Huh?  I'll never understand you guys.  Who CARES if it's
> legal?  I mean, if you're just going to use it yourself & not sell it -
> even if you're going to give it away free to a few friends - you're helping
> the computing community by providing More Computer Power to the People!
> Sometimes laws are just another form of Cybercrud!
> [To all those hung-up on legal codes as their only source of morality becau!
> they are too weak-minded to determine themselves whether an action is wrong
> or right:  Send all the flames you like to my system manager!  I'm going to
> lose this account when I graduate this month anyway!]

So much for your account.  Since you're about to enter the world
as an "educated man," with a degree from a respected liberal arts
institution, you might consider the effects of your big mouth on the
welfare of others, to wit:

                The traffic that you and others post is carried on many
        computers owned by the U.S. Taxpayer.  Advocating illegal activity,
        as you did in this posting, could, if found out, cost many of us
        access to info-apple and/or comp.sys.apple.  OUR sys
        administrators would simply remove our access to the mailing list
        and the newsgroup.

        Why on earth do you want to do this?  Or hasn't the full impact
        of being "grown up" hit you just yet?

 _Brint Cooper
<info-apple-request@brl.mil>

 PS:  I have written to the moderator of the Bitnet side of the
list and asked that your name be removed immediately -- graduation or not.
Congratulations:  This is a first for me!

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (05/04/89)

In article <8905031722.aa26352@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> wmapple@BRL.MIL (Info-Apple-Request) writes:

>Phil, Today you wrote:
>
>> ROM copyrights:  Huh?  I'll never understand you guys.  Who CARES if it's
>> legal?  I mean, if you're just going to use it yourself & not sell it -
>> even if you're going to give it away free to a few friends - you're helping
>> the computing community by providing More Computer Power to the People!
>> Sometimes laws are just another form of Cybercrud!
>> [To all those hung-up on legal codes as their only source of morality becau!
>> they are too weak-minded to determine themselves whether an action is wrong
>> or right:  Send all the flames you like to my system manager!  I'm going to
>> lose this account when I graduate this month anyway!]
>

>So much for your account.  Since you're about to enter the world
>as an "educated man," with a degree from a respected liberal arts
>institution, you might consider the effects of your big mouth on the
>welfare of others, to wit:
>
>                The traffic that you and others post is carried on many
>        computers owned by the U.S. Taxpayer.  Advocating illegal activity,
>        as you did in this posting, could, if found out, cost many of us
>        access to info-apple and/or comp.sys.apple.  OUR sys
>        administrators would simply remove our access to the mailing list
>        and the newsgroup.
>
>        Why on earth do you want to do this?  Or hasn't the full impact
>        of being "grown up" hit you just yet?
>
> _Brint Cooper
><info-apple-request@brl.mil>
>
> PS:  I have written to the moderator of the Bitnet side of the
>list and asked that your name be removed immediately -- graduation or not.
>Congratulations:  This is a first for me!

   Anyone ever seen a supernova?

   F L A M E   O N !

   Oh, PUH-LEASE!  First of all, the activity that you so righteously claim is
"illegal" is not so in any warped definition of the term.  Read on:

..."It is not an infringement for the owner of a copy of a computer
program to make or authorize the making of another copy or adaptation
of that computer program provided:
 1) That such a new copy or adaptation is created as an essential step in the
   utilization of the computer program in conjunction with a machine and that
    it is used in no other manner, or
 2) that such new copy or adaptation is for archival purposes only and that
    all archival copies are destroyed in the event that continued posession of
    the computer program should cease to be rightful.
   Any exact copies prepared in accordance with the provisions of this section
may be leased, sold, or otherwise transferred, along with the copy from which
such copies were prepared, only as part of the lease, sale, or other transfer
of all rights in the program. Adaptations so prepared may be transferred only
with the authorization of the copyright owner."
United States Copyright Code title 17, &117 (17 USC 117)

   See that last line?  THAT IS THE LAW!  So send all your crap about
illegalities to /dev/null, and I would recommend a quick apology to Phil
for your self-righteous attempt to blacklist him, and to all of info-apple
and comp.sys.apple (whatever the difference may be) for deluding them..
I hope you REALLY FEEL GOOD about yourself, mister Brint Cooper
Info-Apple-Request.  You've done the forces of tyranny a great favor.
If you blindly stick your foot out into the mists, it will most certainly
end up in your mouth.

   And now, for an interpretation of the above text, quoted directly from the
1976 Federal Copyright Act. Read part one. Ok, now this basically allows
such things as users installing programs on their hard drives (in the IBM
world many many programs require a hard drive, so the copying of software
to it has to be allowed.)
   As for part two, it basically states any program you lease or own may
be modified by you in any way (deprotection, changing the number of guys
you start with in your favorite arcade game, patching AppleWorks to not
make you hit a bunch of keys on startup, etc.)  as long as they are destroyed
along with transfer of the program (i.e. returned at end of lease, or sold
to another person).

   I don't know what it is with America these days.  We have the most intricate
and powerful legal system in the world, designed to help everyone, not just
the rich or the powerful, and people don't even bother to find out what their
rights are!! I know I'm not gonna sit back and let a few mis-informed
mental midgets tell me what I can or cannot do, I'm gonna find out for
myself.

      F L A M E   O F F

   I'm sorry if this was a bit harsh, but I hate when people who think
they know what they're talking about (and really don't) convice other
people of their wrong ideas.

   Thank you for listening, and I hope I've cleared the air on this one.

jawaid bazyar			   "The history of the world is the history of
jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu	    the warfare between secret societies."
Junior/Computer Engineering @          - Ishmael Reed, Mumbo-Jumbo
 Univ. of Illinois

labc-3dc@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (05/06/89)

setenv FLAME explosive

In article <8905031722.aa26352@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> wmapple@BRL.MIL (Info-Apple-Request) writes:

>Phil, Today you wrote:
>
>> ROM copyrights:  Huh?  I'll never understand you guys.  Who CARES if it's
>> legal?  I mean, if you're just going to use it yourself & not sell it -
[more of what Phil wrote Today]

>So much for your account.  Since you're about to enter the world
>as an "educated man," with a degree from a respected liberal arts
>institution, you might consider the effects of your big mouth on the
>welfare of others, to wit:
>
>                The traffic that you and others post is carried on many
>        computers owned by the U.S. Taxpayer.  Advocating illegal activity,
>        as you did in this posting, could, if found out, cost many of us
>        access to info-apple and/or comp.sys.apple.  OUR sys
>        administrators would simply remove our access to the mailing list
>        and the newsgroup.

I just cut off some of the original message, but the intent of it is pretty
clear.  Let's see if we can get some facts straight.

- He was expressing an opinion, not encouraging everybody to go out and
  do Evil Deeds.  This is supposed to be a forum for the exchange of ideas,
  remember?

- My sys admin is not going to drop this group because one person doesn't
  care about copyright notices on his equipment.  I'm sure people make illegal
  photocopies, but the library hasn't shut down yet.  Yes, there are signs
  posted.  Maybe you should have done something similar, rather than making
  threats or attacking others.

- I pay taxes.  Many people I know pay taxes.  None of them like censorship,
  in any form.  Perhaps absolute power corrupts absolutely?  Yes, that was
  an insinuation.

>        Why on earth do you want to do this?  Or hasn't the full impact
>        of being "grown up" hit you just yet?

- This was uncalled for.  If you want to do flames, do them somewhere else.
  I'm not telling you that you can't write them (censorship), I'm letting
  you know that most of us don't appreciate this kind of garbage.  I am
  flaming, but I am flaming in defense of the first amendment to the
  Constitution.  Want to uphold laws?  Start from there.

> _Brint Cooper
><info-apple-request@brl.mil>
>
> PS:  I have written to the moderator of the Bitnet side of the
>list and asked that your name be removed immediately -- graduation or not.
>Congratulations:  This is a first for me!

Let us hope it is a last.  Maybe the net.gods should hear about your "first."

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden