[comp.sys.apple] Video Digitizers

"@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (04/17/89)

I would like to get information on any Video Digitizers that are available.
I've seen the Computereyes GS, but the fact that it takes 6 seconds to get an
image, and won't accept input from "freeze frame" video sources makes it
unusable for the purpose I have in mind.

The only other one I know of is the AST Visionplus, and I can't seem to find
any sources that still have the product (Even AST says they don't have it,
anymore).  I would like to either find a company that is still selling them,
or buy one used or find some other type of digitizer that will do frame
grabbing and will handle still and moving images.

Please send e-mail if anyone can help.

                                        Kevin Black

  UUCP: crash!pro-newfrontier!kblack
  ARPA: crash!pro-newfrontier!kblack@nosc.mil
  INET: kblack@pro-newfrontier.cts.com

"Progress doesn't enlighten people - It just makes them stupid in new ways"

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (04/21/89)

In article <8904170416.AA29407@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sol!pro-newfrontier!kblack@nosc.mil writes:
>I would like to get information on any Video Digitizers that are available.
>I've seen the Computereyes GS, but the fact that it takes 6 seconds to get an
>image, and won't accept input from "freeze frame" video sources makes it
>unusable for the purpose I have in mind.

When we held Megafest, our local computer show, there were a couple of
non-Apple digitizing frame-grabbers.  They were hooked up to a video source
and used a key or mouse button to trigger the grab.  The interesting thing
was that the boxes (allegedly $200 or so) were accessed through the serial
port (or so they said).  If this is true, maybe we can write a driver for
them!

Will look into it,
Dave Seah (dseah@wpi.wpi.edu, dseah@wpi.bitnet);

cbdougla@uokmax.UUCP (Collin Broadrick Douglas) (04/25/89)

In article <1976@wpi.wpi.edu> dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) writes:
>In article <8904170416.AA29407@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sol!pro-newfrontier!kblack@nosc.mil writes:
>>I would like to get information on any Video Digitizers that are available.
>>I've seen the Computereyes GS, but the fact that it takes 6 seconds to get an
>>image, and won't accept input from "freeze frame" video sources makes it
>>unusable for the purpose I have in mind.
>
>When we held Megafest, our local computer show, there were a couple of
>non-Apple digitizing frame-grabbers.  They were hooked up to a video source
>and used a key or mouse button to trigger the grab.  The interesting thing
>was that the boxes (allegedly $200 or so) were accessed through the serial
>port (or so they said).  If this is true, maybe we can write a driver for
>them!
>
>Will look into it,
>Dave Seah (dseah@wpi.wpi.edu, dseah@wpi.bitnet);

   There is a frame grabber for the Apple II.  It is called Imageworks II.
   IT will capture a frame in 1/60 of a second with 256 levels of grey (or
   color if you have the color version) per pixel.  The March 1989 issue
   of A+ is dedicated to home video.  You can get more info about Imageworks
   by writing (or calling):

   Redshift Limited
   P.O. Box 4335
   Mountain View, CA 94040
   (415) 322-7373

				Collin Douglas

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) (04/25/89)

 One such non apple digitiser that could be used is Perfect Vision for
the Amiga. It communicates with the amiga via the paralell port. It also
comes with C source for talking to it, so part of the work is already
done to make a GS version a reality.

It has it's own 64k internal buffer, which allows it to grab a noninterlaced
field (320x200) in 16 gray scale in 1/60 of a second. It will do a interlaced
frame in 1/30 of a second. This qualifies it as a real framegrabber, suitable
for hooking up to a VCR or other video source. It has the capability to do
color, but relies on a "3 pass" method to get it. Sunrize industries sells
an inexpensive color splitter to make this quite easy to do with a still
color source.

I've used one with my Amiga for about a week. The hardware is well done,
but the software (as far as the amiga version goes) is pretty weak. I
think it is the main limiting factor of the device. I'm keeping my Live!.

Output, at least the B&W stuff I did, is pretty damned good, especially at
the $219.00 retail (regularly discounted at approx $180.00). It definitely
blows Computereyes away.

Another one worth looking at is Progressive Peripheral's Framegrabber.
This is expensive; $650.00 last time I checked. It will do it all, including
color in 1/30 of a second. It also uses the parallel port and comes with
source. I haven't actually used one, but have seen output. The HAM mode
(4096 colors, 320x400) pictures were quite stunning.

Hope this helps.
--hal
 Hal Meeks                 "Everything is a reaction."
 netoprhm@ncsuvm.bitnet
 hgm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

rotten@pro-lep.cts.com (Johhny Rotten) (05/07/89)

Network Comment: to #2922 by pnet01!crash!ucbvax.berkeley.edu!att!occrsh!uokmax!cbdougla

Thanks for the information.  I, too, am intersted in image processing.