[comp.sys.apple] You read it HERE first...

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (04/26/89)

Very soon, Apple will be releasing a new Macintosh. It will be the last in the
line before it is discontinued.

You can quote me on this.
Steve Brown
- Some times you feel like a nut          -              Sometimes you don't -

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/27/89)

In article <8904260737.AA11008@crash.cts.com>, sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) writes:
> Very soon, Apple will be releasing a new Macintosh. It will be the last in the
> line before it is discontinued.
>

> You can quote me on this.
> Steve Brown

That's interesting.  Kind of vague, but interesting.  Just out of curiosity,
which line are you talking about?  Right now there are only two: the compact
models (SE, Plus, and SE/30) and the expandable models (II, IIcx, IIx).  I
really must express my doubts.  First, there is no way that the expandable line
could be discontinued without bankrupting the company.  Secondly, Apple (and
John Sculley) still was a machine for the masses, i.e. one that won't bankrupt
the buyer.  The compact line is the only possibility here, unless the price of
the IIcx is cut in half...

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

akc@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Bruce Cox) (04/27/89)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple
Subject: Re: You read it HERE first...

>> Very soon, Apple will be releasing a new Macintosh. It will be the last in the
>> line before it is discontinued.
>>

>> You can quote me on this.
>> Steve Brown
>
>That's interesting.  Kind of vague, but interesting.  Just out of curiosity,
>which line are you talking about?  Right now there are only two: the compact
>models (SE, Plus, and SE/30) and the expandable models (II, IIcx, IIx).  I
>really must express my doubts.  First, there is no way that the expandable line
>could be discontinued without bankrupting the company.  Secondly, Apple (and
>John Sculley) still was a machine for the masses, i.e. one that won't bankrupt
>the buyer.  The compact line is the only possibility here, unless the price of
>the IIcx is cut in half...
>
>-Michael

Mike, I think your floating out in left field somewhere.  Re-read the original
posting and try to think *humor*. (ie.  you know...the rumors about the fate
of the apple II's.)

Steve,  I haven't had such a good laugh in along time.  Of course, we all know
the Macintosh is a dieing, obsolete machine and should be canned even
though it is bringing millions in of dollars for apple. :-)

Bruce

Bruce Cox         UUCP: akc@mace.cc.purdue.edu   BITNET: clone@purccvm.bitnet
Purdue University "Of All The Things I've Lost, It's My Mind I Miss The Most"

russotto@wam.UMD.EDU (04/27/89)

In article <2299@mace.cc.purdue.edu> akc@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Bruce Cox) writes:
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple
>Subject: Re: You read it HERE first...
>
>>> Very soon, Apple will be releasing a new Macintosh. It will be the last in the
>>> line before it is discontinued.
>>>

>>> You can quote me on this.
>>> Steve Brown
>>

>Mike, I think your floating out in left field somewhere.  Re-read the original
>posting and try to think *humor*. (ie.  you know...the rumors about the fate
>of the apple II's.)
>

>Steve,  I haven't had such a good laugh in along time.  Of course, we all know
>the Macintosh is a dieing, obsolete machine and should be canned even
>though it is bringing millions in of dollars for apple. :-)
>
>Bruce

>Bruce Cox         UUCP: akc@mace.cc.purdue.edu   BITNET: clone@purccvm.bitnet
>Purdue University "Of All The Things I've Lost, It's My Mind I Miss The Most"

Right! IBM-PC FOREVER!
PANIC... SANITY CHECK FAILED.... CORE DUMPED... HIT CTRL-OPENAPPLE-RESET
TO RESTART...(Unix on an Apple ][?  A mind-boggling possibility)
--
DISCLAIMER:  Not only does the University not share my opinions,
	     they don't want me sharing my opinions.

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/27/89)

In article <2299@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, akc@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Bruce Cox) writes:

> >> Very soon, Apple will be releasing a new Macintosh. It will be the last in the
> >> line before it is discontinued.
> Mike, I think your floating out in left field somewhere.  Re-read the original
> posting and try to think *humor*. (ie.  you know...the rumors about the fate
> of the apple II's.)

> Bruce

You're right.  I am out in left field.  I was thinking that this was happening
in the immediate future.  It didn't even cross my mind that this could be
many years off...

I guess a lack of sleep is really getting to me...

-Michael

--

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (04/27/89)

> *Excerpts from ext.in.info-apple: 26-Apr-89 You read it HERE first... Stephen*
> *Brown@pro-generi (467)*
> Very soon, Apple will be releasing a new Macintosh. It will be the last in the
> line before it is discontinued.
What????? a new and last _Macintosh_?

That's one mean typo.
further, after Apple's basic credo of secrecy about hardware announcements, why
would they announce that this model would be the _last_? Who would want to buy
it if Apple TOLD them that after this, there ain't no more and you're on your
own?

Grrrr..... I've had it with rumors.

jeremy mereness
=============
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpanet)
r746jm7e@CMCCVB (vax.... Bitnet)

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (04/27/89)

In article <IYJbp9y00XoXI-Nlka@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDUwrites:

>> *Excerpts from info-apple: 26-Apr-89 You read it HERE first... Stephen*
>> *Brown@pro-generi (467)*
>> Very soon, Apple will be releasing a new Macintosh. It will be the last in
>> the line before it is discontinued.

Isn't unfortunate that 1) No one has any sense of humor anymore [I
thought Apple II'ers were famous for their humor?] and 2) No one seems
able to follow a simple thread of conversation on this conference (After
weeks of rebutting rumors of the Apple II's death...and then someone
posts that the Mac is dead...  I thought it was a hilarious post).  Put
it together folks.

                      Kent Dickey
kadickey@phoenix.princeton.edu
kadickey@pucc.bitnet

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John M. Adams) (04/27/89)

Yo!  People!  I don't know about your sites, but here at University of Florida,
our follow-up articles don't get sent if we don't type more original stuff
than what we quote.  Please, PLEASE cut down your attributed material,
especially when we wade thru a 41 line article to get three fresh lines
which don't really say much.  This is a request, not a *FLAME*.  Thanks.
--
Internet: jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu                     | John M. Adams        ///
"K-Mart sucks." - Dustin Hoffman in _Rainmain_      |   University        ///

ch1@cisunx.UUCP (Chris Helferty) (04/28/89)

In article <8904260737.AA11008@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sol!pro-simasd!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil writes:
>Very soon, Apple will be releasing a new Macintosh. It will be the last in the
>line before it is discontinued.

My, we do want attention, don't we?  :-)

REWING@TRINCC.BITNET (05/05/89)

I've heard rumors, and then I've heard *rumors*.  Where do they get this
stuff????  I haven't laughed so hard in awhile.  Thanks!

--Rick Ewing
  Apple Atlanta

rotten@pro-lep.cts.com (Johhny Rotten) (05/07/89)

Network Comment: to #2925 by pnet01!crash!pro-generic.cts.com!sb

Apple is releasing the last McIntosh???  Rumor has been saying that they will
be discontinuing the Apple ][ line, and this was heard on the computer
television show aired on PBS.  There was nothing about Apple discontinuing the
McIntosh.  Hmmmm, is Apple going to go "belly-up"???  Or is there a new
computer in the works???  Maybe Jobs will be returning with his NeXT Computer,
eh???