[comp.sys.apple] A2 --> TIFF or GIF

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (04/20/89)

> I've seen several requets for programs converting GIF files to Apple format.
> Does anyone know of any that go the other way?  Or to TIFF?  I want to send
> to a Mac, so I can send to a Sun.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
>
> Jeff Stern

Assuming that you have a //gs, then SHRConvert is the program that
you want.  It is available in files 88-00661, 88-00662, and 88-00663
on the APPLE2-L list server at BROWNVM (a BITNET node).  I assume
that it is also available from comp.binaries.apple2 and the several
FTP sites.

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                  (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU            ARPA: jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,  Bethesda, MD 20892

Kreme@cup.portal.com (Lewis Kreme Butler) (04/21/89)

=> I've seen several requets for programs converting GIF files to Apple format.
=> Does anyone know of any that go the other way?  Or to TIFF?  I want to send
=> to a Mac, so I can send to a Sun.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
=>
=> Jeff Stern
=
=Assuming that you have a //gs, then SHRConvert is the program that
=you want.  It is available in files 88-00661, 88-00662, and 88-00663
=on the APPLE2-L list server at BROWNVM (a BITNET node).  I assume
=that it is also available from comp.binaries.apple2 and the several
=FTP sites.

And assuming we don't have a GS?

|                                  | You're all coffee drinkers, no tea for  |
| kreme@cup.portal.com             | you!            -- Isstvan              |
| DISCLAIMER: All comments are the responsibility of a small purple man from |
|             the area of Rilos.  Keep that in mind when considering flames. |

russotto@wam.UMD.EDU (04/21/89)

In article <17430@cup.portal.com> Kreme@cup.portal.com (Lewis Kreme Butler) writes:
>=> I've seen several requets for programs converting GIF files to Apple format.
>=> Does anyone know of any that go the other way?  Or to TIFF?  I want to send
>=> to a Mac, so I can send to a Sun.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
>=>
>=> Jeff Stern
>=
>=Assuming that you have a //gs, then SHRConvert is the program that
>=you want.  It is available in files 88-00661, 88-00662, and 88-00663
>=on the APPLE2-L list server at BROWNVM (a BITNET node).  I assume
>=that it is also available from comp.binaries.apple2 and the several
>=FTP sites.
>
>And assuming we don't have a GS?
You have a problem.  As far as I know there are neither programs for the II
that convert to GIF format nor programs for the Mac that convert from II
format.  I know at least one is under development, but have no idea when it
will be available.

>|                                  | You're all coffee drinkers, no tea for  |
>| kreme@cup.portal.com             | you!            -- Isstvan              |
>| DISCLAIMER: All comments are the responsibility of a small purple man from |
>|             the area of Rilos.  Keep that in mind when considering flames. |

DISCLAIMER:  Not only does the University not share my opinions,
	     they don't want me sharing my opinions.
		"This 'Pnews', what does it do?"
	     Matthew T. Russotto
	     russotto@wam.umd.edu

-Rich-@cup.portal.com (Richard Sherman Payne) (04/23/89)

>In article <17430@cup.portal.com> Kreme@cup.portal.com (Lewis Kreme Butler)
>writes:
>
>=> I've seen several requets for programs converting GIF files to Apple
>format.
>
>=> Does anyone know of any that go the other way?  Or to TIFF?  I want to
>send
>
>=> to a Mac, so I can send to a Sun.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
>
>=>
>
>=> Jeff Stern
>
>=
>
>=Assuming that you have a //gs, then SHRConvert is the program that
>
>=you want.  It is available in files 88-00661, 88-00662, and 88-00663
>
>=on the APPLE2-L list server at BROWNVM (a BITNET node).  I assume
>
>=that it is also available from comp.binaries.apple2 and the several
>
>=FTP sites.
>

>And assuming we don't have a GS?

You have a problem.  As far as I know there are neither programs for the II

that convert to GIF format nor programs for the Mac that convert from II

format.  I know at least one is under development, but have no idea when it

will be available.

>|                                  | You're all coffee drinkers, no tea for  >|
>
>| kreme@cup.portal.com             | you!            -- Isstvan              >|

>| DISCLAIMER: All comments are the responsibility of a small purple man from
>|

>|             the area of Rilos.  Keep that in mind when considering flames.

DISCLAIMER:  Not only does the University not share my opinions,

	     they don't want me sharing my opinions.

		"This 'Pnews', what does it do?"

	     Matthew T. Russotto

	     russotto@wam.umd.edu

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned IIGIF. It is a PD GIF viewer for the
Apple // series. It is available in PORTAL, and if anyone is interested, I
believe that I could run it through BINASCII, and post it in the binaries file.
The images are not as good as with SHRConvert, but I used to use it to preview
files, as it is much faster. I do not remember if it requires 64K, or 128K, but
as it is ProDOS based, it needs as least 64K. Its a nice program.

                                                        Rich

                                                -Rich-@cup.portal.com

>>In article <17430@cup.portal.com> Kreme@cup.portal.com (Lewis Kreme Butler)
>>writes:
>>
>>=> I've seen several requets for programs converting GIF files to Apple
>>format.
>
>I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned IIGIF. It is a PD GIF viewer for the
>Apple // series. It is available in PORTAL, and if anyone is interested, I

The last time I looked, IIGIF was in the APPLE2-L archive which means it
also ought to be on all the ftp sites as well.

It's been a year since I last flamed about having to read 90 lines or so of
repeated text to find 4 or 5 lines of new message.  Ahem!  Rich and other
offenders, please learn how to EDIT.  That is, delete ALL of previous posts
except for just enough so that we know what the heck you are referring to!!!

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (04/26/89)

>I've seen several requets for programs converting GIF files to Apple format.
>Does anyone know of any that go the other way?  Or to TIFF?  I want to send
>to a Mac, so I can send to a Sun.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
>
>And assuming we don't have a GS?

It sounds like you are not interested in converting the GIFs at all, in which
case SHRConvert isn't going to do diddly/squat.  All you need to do, then,
is use Apple File Exchange on your Mac system disk 6.0.x or higher to move
the file from your ProDOS (not DOS3.3, I hope!) disk to your Mac HFS disk.

GIF files are not a specific machine format.  GIF stands for Graphics
Interchange Format.

If you have a nonGS Apple II, then IIGIF by Jason Harper (same dude, I think,
that wrote SHRConvert) will allow you to convert GIF files into classic or
double hires.  Actually, I prefer this program over SHRConvert 2.1.  IIGIF is
FAST and does some tricks that SHRConvert obstinantly doesn't have.  It will
abort a GIF conversion anytime you want.  It will scale pictures to fit on a
screen, and you can actually do interesting aspect ratios.

Dave Seah (dseah@wpi.wpi.edu, dseah@wpi.bitnet);

rotten@pro-lep.cts.com (Johhny Rotten) (05/07/89)

Network Comment: to #2933 by pnet01!crash!bbn.com!ulowell!m2c!wpi!dseah

I have IIGIF, which I use on my //e, but I, also, wonder if there is a way to
convert to GIF format for the use of other machines via a bbs (ie. TX
Leprechaun, Genie, CIS, etc.)