[comp.sys.apple] TWGS ROM bugs

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (05/06/89)

A couple of people have mentioned one or more (maybe only one) known
bugs in the TWGS ROM.  That prompts two questions:  are the bugs serious
(i.e., capable of trashing your hard dirve, for instance) and does
anyone know how Applied Engineering intends to deal with them?

TMPLee@Dockmaster.ncsc.mil

shankar@bedrock.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Son of Knuth) (05/07/89)

Several people have mentione a bug/s with the TWGS card ROMs.
I was just wondering what the ROMs are used for?
---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

blochowi@cat28.CS.WISC.EDU (Jason Blochowiak) (05/07/89)

In article <890505222604.700890@DOCKMASTER.ARPA> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>A couple of people have mentioned one or more (maybe only one) known
>bugs in the TWGS ROM.  That prompts two questions:  are the bugs serious
>(i.e., capable of trashing your hard dirve, for instance) and does
>anyone know how Applied Engineering intends to deal with them?
	There's only one that I've heard of, and that's that GetCacheSize
doesn't return properly, and that would only cause problems if there were a
program which called the routine (which there aren't any that I'm aware of -
considering that this is the first generation of TWgs'es). The worst problem
that would be caused (if there is indeed a program that calls the routine) is
a system crash (yaknow, BONK!, and into the monitor).
	I have no idea what AE is doing about it... I suppose I should ask :)
I wouldn't worry about it, tho' - my TWgs has given me 0 problems in the couple
of weeks that I've been using it, which pretty much rules out it failing under
normal (non hardware failure) conditions, given the amount that I use my IIgs.
>TMPLee@Dockmaster.ncsc.mil

		Jason Blochowiak (blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)
			"Not your average iconoclast..."

In article <21499@srcsip.UUCP> shankar@bedrock.UUCP (Son of Knuth) writes:
>Several people have mentione a bug/s with the TWGS card ROMs.
>I was just wondering what the ROMs are used for?
	The firmware is for toying with the TWgs. Included are calls to find
out what version of the TWgs it is, whether or not it can be set to different
speeds, get info about what speed(s) are available, routines to get & set the
speed, and to find out about and play around with the cache (the routine to
find the size of the cache - GetCacheSize - is buggy). There are also some
ID bytes to make sure the TWgs is there. The specific calls are as follows:
TransWarpID (4 bytes - not a routine, just 'TWGS'), and TransWarpID2 ('SMJS').
GetTWInfo,
ResetTW (overrides control panel settings),
GetMaxSpeed,
GetNumISpeed (# of speeds),
Freq2Index, Index2Freq (these switch back and forth between a speed index and
the actual Khz [not Mhz] speeds),
GetCurSpeed, SetCurSpeed (these get & set the clock speed in Khz),
GetCurISpeed, SetCurISpeed (these use the index numbers),
FlushCache,
DisableIRQLogic, EnableIRQLogic (I'll discuss these below),
GetTWConfig, SetTWConfig,
GetCacheSize (the buggy one), EnableDataCache,
EnableDataCache, DisableDataCache (apparently data & instruction caching are
seperable - instruction caching can't be turned off).

	About the IRQ stuff: The TransWarp can slow itself down when the IRQ
disable processor flag (Interrupt ReQuest) is set - so, if there's some timing
critical routine (like I guess are used in the AppleTalk stuff) which sets
the IRQ flag, it won't run at the wrong speed. I have this option disabled,
and I haven't had any problems (the TWgs comes with it enabled, so as to not
cause any problems), but I don't own/use AppleTalk.

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (05/07/89)

From article <2719@puff.cs.wisc.edu>, by blochowi@cat28.CS.WISC.EDU (Jason Blochowiak):

> 	About the IRQ stuff: The TransWarp can slow itself down when the IRQ
> disable processor flag (Interrupt ReQuest) is set - so, if there's some timing
> critical routine (like I guess are used in the AppleTalk stuff) which sets
> the IRQ flag, it won't run at the wrong speed. I have this option disabled,
> and I haven't had any problems (the TWgs comes with it enabled, so as to not
> cause any problems), but I don't own/use AppleTalk.

I've been running mine w/ IRQ enabled, using AppleTalk/AppleShare without any
problems except for overheating (initially) for a couple of weeks.

Oh, in response to your mail (that I haven't responded to) about ROM address
space: after digging through the Firmware & Hardware manuals (I haven't been
able to check some other references to the Tech Intro to the IIGs or
Programmer's Intro (since I don't have those yet)), as far as I can tell,
TWGS uses space reserved for "ROM expansion."  That means it can only conflict
with other 3rd party stuff.  Apple reserves some banks for system/tools and
others for ROMdisk, but none of that is in the $Bx banks (where TWGS lives).

BTW, the other things that live in TWGS ROM are the CDA, the startup sound,
& the startup graphics.

--
Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"