[comp.sys.apple] Apple II Magazine for Kids

brehm@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Sarah Brehm, MACC-MIC) (04/26/89)

I am looking for a magazine that would be suitable for a 9-year
old who uses a II GS.  At this point he is interested in games
and programs that he can type in and try out.  Any suggestions?
A generic computer magazine for kids would be ok if there is
nothing specific to the Apple.

greyelf@WPI.WPI.EDU (Michael J Pender) (04/26/89)

>I am looking for a magazine that would be suitable for a 9-year
>old who uses a II GS.  At this point he is interested in games
>and programs that he can type in and try out.  Any suggestions?
>A generic computer magazine for kids would be ok if there is
>nothing specific to the Apple.

Nothing against InCider, but it would be very suitable for a
nine year old, it is in general non-technical.  If he starts
to get interested in programming games, et al.  I'd suggest
dropping InCider and buying Nibble.  Its a much more
programming oriented magazine.

InCider for beginners, Nibble for seasoned hacks.  I don't
get either because they're expensive.

blochowi@cat28.CS.WISC.EDU (Jason Blochowiak) (04/26/89)

In article <8904260150.AA21254@wpi> greyelf@WPI.WPI.EDU (Michael J Pender) writes:
>>I am looking for a magazine that would be suitable for a 9-year
>>old who uses a II GS.
>
>InCider for beginners, Nibble for seasoned hacks.  I don't
>get either because they're expensive.

	I dunno, I wouldn't say that Nibble is an appropriate magazine for
"seasoned hacks". It's, IMHO, a good magazine for beginning to moderate level
programmers, but it leaves me feeling somewhat unsatisfied (I'd describe myself
as a moderately advanced programmer). It does have some interesting tidbits
occasionally, and I consider it reputable.
	I haven't seen A2-Central, but I've heard some good things about it...

		Jason Blochowiak (blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)
			"Not your average iconoclast..."

labc-3dc@e260-2d.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (04/28/89)

In article <8904260150.AA21254@wpi> greyelf@WPI.WPI.EDU (Michael J Pender) writes:
>InCider for beginners, Nibble for seasoned hacks.  I don't
>get either because they're expensive.

I stopped getting InCider because they kept redoing the same things (here's
an Applesoft renumber program!  An Applesoft compactor!  Do your taxes!
Yet Another Hires Game in Applesoft!).  I also overdosed on exclamation
points...

Open-Apple is probably the best Apple // newsletter in existence.  If you
don't have a subscription, get one [appropriate disclaimer...]

If you're into software deprotection or just neat tricks (like hidden features
in games, how to get extra men, etc) try COMPUTIST magazine (don't have the
address handy).  They switched to a print-anything format about a year ago;
they usually have about 40-50 mini-articles per issue, most of which are
about removing the copy protection from the latest software.

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

ajp2056@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (04/29/89)

I know of an apple II "magazine-on-disk."  It usually has several programs
on each issue, most of which are games or educational.  Your nine-year old
may benefit from this since he can list the BASIC programs to see what makes
them tick.  Currently, they do not have a //gs specific magazine, but the
"standard" apple II version will run just fine on a GS.  Their address is:

Softdisk, Inc.
P.O. box 30008
Shreveport, LA
	71130

marc@lakesys.UUCP (Marc Rassbach) (04/30/89)

>If you're into software deprotection or just neat tricks (like hidden features
>in games, how to get extra men, etc) try COMPUTIST magazine (don't have the
>address handy).  They switched to a print-anything format about a year ago;
I remember COMPUTIST back when they where HARDCORE COMPUTIST, and before
that HARDCORE.   I also remember the price increase from $25 a year
to $40 a year that caused me to drop my subscription.  They may have changed,
but don't go for a years' subscription.   If the still offer the 6 month
option take that.

BTW, does anyone out there remember the "Hacker's Mac" project suggested by
Lee Feleinsien (sp) of Golemtronics?

--
Marc Rassbach     marc@lakesys	              If you take my advice, that
"I can't C with my AI closed"                 is your problem, not mine!

labc-3dc@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (04/30/89)

In article <583@lakesys.UUCP> marc@lakesys.UUCP (Marc Rassbach) writes:
>>If you're into software deprotection or just neat tricks (like hidden features
>>in games, how to get extra men, etc) try COMPUTIST magazine (don't have the
>>address handy).  They switched to a print-anything format about a year ago;
>I remember COMPUTIST back when they where HARDCORE COMPUTIST, and before
>that HARDCORE.   I also remember the price increase from $25 a year
>to $40 a year that caused me to drop my subscription.  They may have changed,
[whack]

Ah yes, but do you remember when it was HARDCORE COMPUTING and CORE?

From a letter I recently received...

"One complaint, that we hear often, is that the price of a subscription ($32)
is too much to pay all at once.  We've been asked if we could in some way
lower the annual rate, so we've come up with a solution.

"In order to lower the basic subsription rate and to allow our volunteer staff
to spend some weekends at home, we are extending the time between issues to
6 weeks.  That means we will be printing 8 issues a year.

"The good news is that, since you are only paying for 8 issues, the
subscription rates will fall to $24 a year ($34 for 1st Class, Canada and
Mexico.  $54 for foreign.)"

[for those of you not familiar with the magazine, about a year ago the
 owner/publisher was forced to fire his staff and keep the magazine going
 with a loan against his house... life on the edge in the publishing
 industry...]

COMPUTIST
PO Box 110846-T
Tacoma, WA 98411
(206) 474-5750

>Marc Rassbach     marc@lakesys	              If you take my advice, that

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden
labc-3dc@widow.berkeley.edu

tamara@ecsvax.UUCP (05/08/89)

From postnews Sun May  7 22:28:11 1989
: Subject: Re: Apple II Magazine for Kids
: Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple
The question . . .
: > >>I am looking for a magazine that would be suitable for a 9-year
: > >>old who uses a II GS.
One answer was . .
: > >InCider for beginners, Nibble for seasoned hacks.  I don't
: > >get either because they're expensive.
I don't think either one is appropriate for a 9 year old.
An unaverage iconoclast writes . . .
: > 	I dunno, I wouldn't say that Nibble is an appropriate magazine for
: > "seasoned hacks". It's, IMHO, a good magazine for beginning to moderate level
May I suggest . . .
_Microzine_ (Scholastic Inc) or
_UpTime_    (order subscription by calling 1-800-437-0033)

Both are excellent "magazines," which contain (mostly)
educational programs (including logic, math, word processing,
graphics, etc.) They're both fairly expensive, but will
keep your kids interested and impressed. My son's been
on an Apple IIe since he was 5 and is now still going
strong on a IIgs at the ripe old age of 11.

-----------------
Tamara@ecsvax.bitnet

-----------------
Just say yo!

From postnews Sun May  7 22:41:44 1989
 Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple

The question . . .

One answer . . .
| > >InCider for beginners, Nibble for seasoned hacks.  I don't
| > >get either because they're expensive.

Writes an unaverage iconoclast (Jason B) . ..
| > 	I dunno, I wouldn't say that Nibble is an appropriate magazine for
| > "seasoned hacks". It's, IMHO, a good magazine for beginning to moderate level
| > 	I haven't seen A2-Central, but I've heard some good things about it...
May I suggest
   _Microzine_ by Scholastic scope and/or
   _UpTime_   (Uptime)

Uptime is a "disk monthly." Scholastic scope is more expensive
and comes less often but is more high powered.
Both are magazines on disk loaded with fun and educational
software.
Both are excellent and have kept my son happy for the past
couple of years. He's been on a IIe since 5 and is still
merrily programming at the ripe old age of 11 on a IIgs.

Be happy to answer more questions if ya want to write direct

Tamara@ecsvax.bitnet

Just say yo!