[comp.sys.apple] ShrinkIt bug?

awillis@pro-angmar.UUCP (Albert Willis) (04/29/89)

Is anyone else having a problem with ShrinkIt 2.01 not being able to extract
all the files from a Binary II file? I recently tried to extract 75 files from
a Binary II file, and ShrinkIt stopped at file #30. This happens when ever a
Binary II file has more than 30-40 files. Is this a bug, or am I missing
something?

Albert Willis

INET            awillis@pro-angmar.cts.com
UUCP            pro-angmar!awillis@obsolete.uucp
ProLine         ..pro-carolina!pro-angmar!awillis

AppleLink PE    BCS Al

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (05/01/89)

In article <8904290459.AA02590@obsolete.UUCP>, Albert Willis writes:

[comments about ShrinkIt 2.01 Binary II unpacking bug deleted]

I've seen notes about this problem on one of these networks I read (I sometime
confuse what I read and which network I read it on).  Yes, the problem is know.
I believe the work around is to just press return and it will keep on going (I
had it happen to me one (35 articles in the Binary II file), and thats all I did).

--
Matthew Lee Stier                         |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447 |        "Wisconsin   Escapee"

nakada@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Paul Nakada) (05/02/89)

while we're on the subject..  do iishrink and iiunshrink work on
apple][+ computers?   I have tested both on my //c and they both work
fine.  I've heard from a few people concerning problems running them on
a ][+  ... can those people with ][+ computers please test them?
thanks..

-paul nakada
 __
|     Paul Nakada  '89   #8-)  |
      North House              |                nakada@husc4.HARVARD.EDU
      Harvard College          |       seismo>!harvard!husc4!nakada.UUCP
      Cambridge, MA  02138     |     rutgers/   nakada@husc4.BITNET
      617/498-6255 || 6264     |                                         __|

nicholaA@moravian.EDU (05/03/89)

>while we're on the subject..  do iishrink and iiunshrink work on
>apple][+ computers?   I have tested both on my //c and they both work
>fine.  I've heard from a few people concerning problems running them on
>a ][+  ... can those people with ][+ computers please test them?
>thanks..

V1.3 of the II+ versions should work fine.  I'd like to publicly thank
Michael Ziober who helped me *ALOT* in tracking down the problems with
those programs... Thanks Michael!  :-)

>-paul nakada

andy nicholas

----
Andy Nicholas                 CsNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435                    InterNET: shrinkit%moravian.edu@relay.cs.net
Moravian College               uucp: rutgers!lafcol!lehi3b15!mc70!shrinkit
Bethlehem, PA  18018          GEnie: shrinkit
----                   AppleLink PE: shrinkit

Kreme@cup.portal.com (Lewis Kreme Butler) (05/03/89)

I've actually have several problems with Shrinkit 2.01...

1)  If you copy a file and there is not enough room to copy the file
    fully, there is no warning signal from Shrinkit.  It just doesn't
    complete the copy.

2)  If the file type is not $E{any character} the file will not be recognized
    as a NFuX file.  I have to use Copy ][+ or Block Warden to edit the file
    type byte to $E0 from $04 (TXT), since most times a BBS sends a file as
E0 type.

3)  The documentation is just Shrinkit 1.0 with addtions at the end, instead
    of a comprehensive Doc file.

The last is a minor point, but the first two are pretty serious.

|                                  | You're all coffee drinkers, no tea for  |
| kreme@cup.portal.com             | you!            -- Isstvan              |
| DISCLAIMER: All comments are the responsibility of a small purple man from |
|             the area of Rilos.  Keep that in mind when considering flames. |

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (05/05/89)

In article <17856@cup.portal.com>, Lewis Kreme Butler writes:
| I've actually have several problems with Shrinkit 2.01...
|
| 1)  If you copy a file and there is not enough room to copy the file
|     fully, there is no warning signal from Shrinkit.  It just doesn't
|     complete the copy.

It also has an additional problem of informing you that it has deleted a
file it was instructed to, when in fact it has not (i.e.: delete a directory
that has something in it, or delete a file on a write protected diskette)

| 2)  If the file type is not $E{any character} the file will not be recognized
|     as a NFuX file.  I have to use Copy ][+ or Block Warden to edit the file
|     type byte to $E0 from $04 (TXT), since most times a BBS sends a file as
|     E0 type.

Could it be, that that the BBS you are using, and your software is transferring
the file in ProDOS xmodem mode.  If it is, and the Aux FileType is not being
transferred corretly, your probably going to have this problem.  (If you do
a catalog, and the filetype is $E0, and the aux_filetype is not $8002, that
may be your problem.)

| 3)  The documentation is just Shrinkit 1.0 with addtions at the end, instead
|     of a comprehensive Doc file.

True, the docs could be better, but at least there is readable docs.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                         |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447 |        "Wisconsin   Escapee"
uucp: { sun, mcnc!rti }!sunpix!matthew    |
phone: (919) 469-8300 fax: (919) 460-8355 |

djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( Number_6 **) (05/05/89)

I too have had a problem with Shrinkit although it's a different one.  When
either adding files to an archive or simply Shrinking files into a new
archive, if you run out of disk space the entire archive is effectively
trashed since you lose many of the files in the archive.  For example, an
archive that have over 40 records in it was reduced to five records although
it was still 1300 blocks long.

Douglas J. Hill                        "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped,
   djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu       indexed, briefed, de-briefed or numbered!
   RSDJH  @ SUVM (BITNET)           ...My life is my own."

nicholaA@moravian.EDU (05/08/89)

>1)  If you copy a file and there is not enough room to copy the file
>    fully, there is no warning signal from Shrinkit.  It just doesn't
>    complete the copy.

This is true.  There are a number of prompts within shrinkit which need to be
changed.  Off the top of my head -- if you try to unpack 1 archive, and it's
not a NuFX archive, shrinkit will beep 3 times and say "finished" when it
never processed anything.  These will be fixed in a future revision
when I have time to do it.  I _am_ aware that some of the missing/erroneous
prompts exist, and _am_ listening... :-)

>2)  If the file type is not $E{any character} the file will not be recognized
>    as a NFuX file.  I have to use Copy ][+ or Block Warden to edit the file
>    type byte to $E0 from $04 (TXT), since most times a BBS sends a file as
>    $E0 type.

Uh, No.

ShrinkIT will attempt to unpack any archive that you tell it to, regardless of
filetype.  If the archive is not a NuFX archive (which shrinkit does NOT
need the filetype information to check), then you will be told that shrinkit
can't handle that particular archive and be allowe to keep processing the
other files selected.

I believe this is documented in the 2.01 and 2.02 docs.  Please (re)read them
throughly.

>3)  The documentation is just Shrinkit 1.0 with additions at the end, instead
>    of a comprehensive Doc file.

Uh, No.

(Honest, I'm not trying to act like a smart-aleck :-)  Actually, the additions
were adding to the _beginning_ of the docs.  As most people who know what
I'm working on will attest, I have very little time to work on docs... no
one has ever offered to clean up the docs for 1.0 and completely incorporate
2.0's features, so that will probably be left unattended. (Those of you who
know me will also attest to the fact that I write lousy end-user documentation,
too... :-)

>kreme@cup.portal.com

andy

----
Andy Nicholas                 CsNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435                    InterNET: shrinkit%moravian.edu@relay.cs.net
Moravian College               uucp: rutgers!lafcol!lehi3b15!mc70!shrinkit
Bethlehem, PA  18018          GEnie: shrinkit
----                   AppleLink PE: shrinkit

nicholaA@moravian.EDU (05/08/89)

>I too have had a problem with Shrinkit although it's a different one.  When
>either adding files to an archive or simply Shrinking files into a new
>archive, if you run out of disk space the entire archive is effectively
>trashed since you lose many of the files in the archive.  For example, an
>archive that have over 40 records in it was reduced to five records although
>it was still 1300 blocks long.

v2.01 and v2.02 should no longer have that problem.  The bug you describe
existed up into v1.1, but quite honestly, it really _should_ work, because
the same situation happened to me a week ago and everything was fine...

>Douglas J. Hill
>   djhill@rodan.acs.syr.edu

andy

----