[comp.sys.apple] CDEVs & Fast Fonts

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (05/07/89)

From article <2720@puff.cs.wisc.edu>, by blochowi@cat28.CS.WISC.EDU (Jason Blochowiak):
> Parik Rao wrote:
>> o    graphic control panel.  A NDA look-alike.  Its a program called
>>      GS.OS.DEV in the SYSTEM subdirectory, and a entire subdirectory
>>      called CDEVS is devoted to it.
>
> 	If this is right (and I'm assuming it is), why is there a subdirectory
> for CDEVs? I know that some people really don't like the way the Mac works
> with things like DAs (having to add/remove the resource chunks from the
> System file), but it seems there's a bit of a difference... Or is Apple

The last I checked, the Control Panel *was* an NDA.  CDEV's *do* live in the
CDEVS subdirectory of the system (continuing the separate file metaphor used
with fonts, tools, & DA's.  There is, though, a CDEV init file in SYSTEM.SETUP.
I don't recall what all it does.  CDEV's, like DA's, can be dropped in & out
of the directory.  Unlike DA's (and like the Mac CDEV's & RDEVS) this can be
done without rebooting (unless the CDEV depends on some initialization stuff).

btw, someone was asking about fast fonts.  As far as I know, there is only one,
currently: Shaston 8 (this is subject to change, obviously).  Fast fonts give
you (at the expense of memory & disk space) much faster text drawing.  It's
done (I think) by storing all 4 possible nibble offsets for the character
bitmaps, so that it just zaps the pre-shifted bitmap wherever it needs to go.--
Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or dead.

In article <10099@claris.com> wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
>The last I checked, the Control Panel *was* an NDA.  CDEV's *do* live in the
>CDEVS subdirectory of the system (continuing the separate file metaphor used
>with fonts, tools, & DA's.  There is, though, a CDEV init file in SYSTEM.SETUP.
>I don't recall what all it does.  CDEV's, like DA's, can be dropped in & out
>of the directory.  Unlike DA's (and like the Mac CDEV's & RDEVS) this can be
>done without rebooting (unless the CDEV depends on some initialization stuff).

Could you (or someone else) please explain to me what a CDEV is?

Thanks a lot.

--
unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu  (yes, "unknown" really is an account name)
The Unknown User

blochowi@cat28.CS.WISC.EDU (Jason Blochowiak) (05/08/89)

In article <7036@saturn.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>Could you (or someone else) please explain to me what a CDEV is?
	A CDEV is a chunk of the graphic Control Panel NDA found on the Mac,
and, as of System Disk 5.0, on the IIgs. Each CDEV controls a certain aspect
of the computer - there are CDEVs for the Clock, the Modem Port, etc. People
other than Apple can write them (assuming they release how to do it, which is
fairly likely :), so, Applied Engineering might write one to control the
TransWarp gs (NOTE! this is _just_ an example), or something like that...
	Each CDEV has an icon in a scrollable list, and when you click on that
icon, the right part of the Control Panel NDA's window contains whatever that
CDEV wants to display - you can then play around with the settings in that
CDEV, then select another one, etc.

>Thanks a lot.
	No problem... :)

>unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu  (yes, "unknown" really is an account name)