[comp.sys.apple] Boston AppleFest!!

nicholaA@moravian.EDU (05/08/89)

>I didn't see any significant new releases.  Word Perfect has version 2.0D out,
>and GS/OS System 5.0 was announced...it isn't expected to be availiable for
>quite some time.  They were quite pleased (as I was) with the QuickDraw II
>performance increase.  It's roughly double the speed of the old routines.
>AppleTalk support is also in System 5.0.

'Scuse me.  If you have gone to any of the technical sessions, you would have
heard the melodious sound of one Jim Mensch of Apple Computer warbling about
how some of the routines in Quickdraw II are now as much as 14 TIMES faster
than the routines on system 4.0 :-)

To just what you've said in summing up what the IIgs software team has done
with System 5.0 does it an outrageous injustice -- System 5.0 has had most
of it's major components speeded up, the tools rewritten, another major
Load file format included for the loader (giving an effective 4x speed
improvement in that alone), and another FST included: AppleShare.  Almost
every major (and minor) toolset has been rewritten for resources and
the resource manager also.  Quite a bit of work, and not very easy to sum
up as you (and I) have so in-eloquently done.

>  Zip Chip announced their Zip Chip
>GS and a new Zip Chip for the Apple II+/e/c.  Both chips run at 8MHz.  They
>didn't have a prototype of either one availiable to peer at.

Yes, they did.  I asked to physically *SEE* the chip, so they took the
cover off 1 of the 8 Mhz machines and let me look.  It's real alright. -- what
really made me a believer was when they let us take one over to our booth
on loan and plug it into our IIe (at the L&L Productions booth).  The thing
is bloody incredible.  It's more than twice as fast as a IIgs! (I should
have done some timings off of shrinkit, but alas, I forgot, for I was forever
running about the show... :-)  I believe the cost of the chip was going to
be $249 and they were going to ramp up production in June or early-July.

(^^ that was about the 8Mhz IIe/c part, BTW) -- As for the Zip-GS, Zip SAID
that they would probably be ready to ship around the time of the next show.
I never got to see _that_ puppy, but if it's 1/2 as good as the 8 Mhz Zip
IIe part, it'll be fantastic.  From what I understand, it'll be a card
initially, and then after it's shrunk (no pun intended :) then it'll be
just the chip unless you need the ability to do DMA (Like with the OKS
Kache card, which I whole-heartedly recomend), in which case a small card
will be needed in addition to the chip.  No big deal, and a whole lot less
heat than the TWGS furnace.

>AppleLink PE had a booth, but I didn't get to see any Apple Forum
>leaders...There were some pretty customer relations ladies there :)

Yes, we were there.  (well, I'm not an AFL, but I'm an AFC, does that count?
:-)  Seriously, though, Kent Fillmore (AFP Kent) was there, as was the system
designer, and for AFL's we had Vince Cooper (AFL Vince), AFL Marty, AFL TracyP,
AFA Scott, and a host of others.  Those who were there at the AppleLink/BCS
party saturday night realize that there were MANY AFL's/AFA's/AFC's from
AppleLink there.  They broadcast the hardware conference that night from the
party (albeit up on the second floor -- GS's don't "get down" too well on the
dance floor.. heh :-)

>They say "5 weeks".  I didn't see Sword of Sodan.

Sword of Sodan was at least talked about in the games discussion.  Neil
Shapiro was on that panel.  Shucks, I really wanted to talk to him, too! :(

And, to top it off, if you had attended and hung around after the technical
issues conference around 11:30 on sunday, you would have gotten a public
peek at Rastan/GS.

>Overall, there wasn't anything really interesting.  It was like going to an
>Apple Mall.

Hmmm... I really didn't think the whole thing was that bad.  I had a good time,
learned alot of new stuff, got to meet and talk to alot of people that
are highly interested in the same stuff I am, got to figure out a few problems
I've been having with my system, and got to get a first-hand peek at
System 5.0, which surpasses anything we've ever had for the IIgs before.

Overall, a great experience.  Perhaps you expected to be grabbed by the cookie
monster and shoved into a dark room where you would be presented with all
of apple's "secrets" and be informed of all the wonderful things going on
for the IIgs.  It doesn't work that way.  You get out of the experience
what you put into it -- you had to dig a little and talk to a few people
to find out what was really going on.

andy

PS-If none of you have seen the OKS Kache card and you have a need for high
   speed disk i/o, please do so.  The card they make does DMA to get the
   info from the disk into the cpu, so it FLIES when it reads a disk (Hd,
   3.5" drive, or 5.25" drive).  It's so fast that when booting, it takes
   roughly 13 seconds to boot into the system 4.0 finder from a 3.5"
   drive!  If it has booted before, then it boots from the cached image,
   and only takes a mere 6 seconds to get to the finder.  Check into the
   card if you are a real "need-speed" person.

Disclaimer: I don't work for, nor am I affiliated with any of these
            companies (except L&L Productions).  The views expressed
            herein are solely my own, and have their own look-and-feel.
            "So There."

----
Andy Nicholas                 CsNET: shrinkit@moravian.edu
Box 435                    InterNET: shrinkit%moravian.edu@relay.cs.net
Moravian College               uucp: rutgers!lafcol!lehi3b15!mc70!shrinkit
Bethlehem, PA  18018          GEnie: shrinkit
----                   AppleLink PE: shrinkit

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (05/09/89)

<8905080625.AA08559@batman.moravian.edu> nicholaA@moravian.EDU writes:
[Lots of stuff deleted everywhere]
>'Scuse me.  If you have gone to any of the technical sessions, you would have
>heard the melodious sound of one Jim Mensch of Apple Computer warbling about
>how some of the routines in Quickdraw II are now as much as 14 TIMES faster
>than the routines on system 4.0 :-)

(you know you're in trouble if you see a 'Scuse me in a followup)

>To just what you've said in summing up what the IIgs software team has done
>with System 5.0 does it an outrageous injustice -- System 5.0 has had most
>of it's major components speeded up, the tools rewritten, another major
>Load file format included for the loader (giving an effective 4x speed
>improvement in that alone), and another FST included: AppleShare.  Almost
>every major (and minor) toolset has been rewritten for resources and
>the resource manager also.  Quite a bit of work, and not very easy to sum
>up as you (and I) have so in-eloquently done.

I didn't get to attend any of the technical sessions.  I was with two other
people, a II+ owner and a hard-drive-hunter.   I took the "Speed Tour" :(

I'm sorry that I pissed off everybody.  GS/OS WAS a significant announcement,
and I'm sure I glossed over all the details that have since been revealed.  I
posted my impressions of my first AppleFest so that other people on the net
would have some idea of what was "new".  I was also trying to stay awake and
remember what I had seen and type all at the same time right after I got back
from Boston...so eloquence went right out the window :) I humbly apologize to
the developers of GS/OS for downplaying the significance of their feat.

I'm sorry I missed all the AppleLink forum leaders...I wasn't expecting them
to be in glass cases with coinslots.  I *knew* they were afoot, I just didn't
get to see any!  I didn't mean to insinuate that they were not there at all.

>Overall, a great experience.  Perhaps you expected to be grabbed by the cookie
>monster and shoved into a dark room where you would be presented with all
>of apple's "secrets" and be informed of all the wonderful things going on
>for the IIgs.  It doesn't work that way.  You get out of the experience
>what you put into it -- you had to dig a little and talk to a few people
>to find out what was really going on.

Great for you perhaps.  I *was* hoping to catch a glimpse of the cookie
monster, or at least see one HUMONGOUS new announcement.  Next time I will dig
more for the kind of details I overlooked this time around.  Thanks for
enlightening me.

Dave Seah (dseah@wpi.wpi.edu, dseah@wpi.bitnet)